Itinerary Advice

SPB216

Hi, first I want to thank everyone on this board for their help and input. I've been reading different posts for the past 9 months (give or take) prior to finalizing my itinerary and have been able to narrow things down based on those different posts made on this board. I'd now like to please ask your feedback on my itinerary for my upcoming 2 week trip. We will be 5 days in Anchorage and than boarding the Coral Princess in Whittier on July 31 for a 7 day cruise. There are 4 of us my DH and two daughters 17 and 10.

July 26th fly into Anchorage arriving around 7:30pm pickup rental

July 27th Leave for Matansuka Glacier early on our way to Denali. (this is where I'd love to hear if this is really worth the stop? I was thinking of doing the 1 hour tour with MICA in the morning at 10am, but I know it will take me 2hours away from my Denali route. If it's worth it I'd do it and take my pictures and do my stops coming back from Denali

We are staying at Grande Denali Lodge.

July 28th - reserved the shuttle bus at 7:30 to the Eilson Center.

July 29th Head back to Anchorage leisurely

July 30th Head to Seward ride the Aleyska Tram if there is a clear day? Visit Exit Glacier and Kenai Fjords park one or both depenending on our time. Seavey sled dog tour late afternoon have dinner and head back to Anchorage to return our Rental Car.

July 31st - Alaska RR to Whittier than do the PWS cruise in Whittier at 1:30. If I remember correctly I can forward our luggage to the ship when we get to Whittier? Board the Coral Princess after PWS Cruise

Aug 1 and 2 we cruise Glacier bay and Hubbard Glacier

Aug 3 Skagway rent a car at Avis and head to Emerald Lake

Aug 4 Dolphin Tours combo Mendahall/Whale Watching and then the Roberts Tram if it's clear.

Aug 5 Ketchikan Misty Fjords Plane tour at around 3 with Seawind Aviation. Michelle had nothing available for 4.

Aug 7th check our bags at Canada Place and Visit Stanley Park and Chinatown before heading home

Sorry for the lenghty post, but look forward to reading your comments

Thanks

Sorry for the lenghty post, but look forward to reading your comments

Thanks

Looks like a classic trip plan to me. If you have been doing your research and set your priorities, there is no point in suggesting anything different. I think you will have a GREAT cruise!

My opinion, it is definately NOT worth your time to just do the 1 hour trek at Matanusks. I wouldn't consider anything but the longest guided trek. I was out for 5 hours here, and that time flew by.

I don't ever do Seward as a day trip. But the only way to "Kenai Fjords" is by boat, of which you don't have the time, frankly. Defintely better, would be to rent a one way Avis car for 2 days- which isn't going to be a "bad" per person rate for 4 people and forget about the wasted backtracking, instead, go direct from Seward to Whittier.

BUT, since it looks like you are going this year, I'll assume you have no intentions of any changes and are looking for "positives" about your choice. :) It's your vacation!!!!!

Thank Mike.

Budget Queen I did see that the 3 hour trek is there most popular one but I was concerned with the time. There Trek starts at 10am so since we were going to Denali from there didn't want to be driving in so late, but did want the girls to actually be on the Glacier?

We do have a rental car during our stay and I could change my Train reservations and just drop the car in Seward instead of heading back to Anchorage. Do you think there is not enough to do in Seward for a day? Do you think I should do the Glacier Trek on the 30th in the morning and than head to Seward and spend the night there and leave from there on the 31st. Would I still be able to do the Seavey tour and Exit Glacier in half a day? We opted out of Kenai Fjords boat tour because I read here the longer one is the better one but that it did have the potential of sea sickness and my younger daughter got sea sick on a similar tour in Kauai last year so we chose PWS and are hoping for the best.

There is definitely still tweaking that could be done to my itinerary except the port tours, so I welcome any suggestions you and any one may have.

Thanks

Thank Mike.

Budget Queen I did see that the 3 hour trek is there most popular one but I was concerned with the time. There Trek starts at 10am so since we were going to Denali from there didn't want to be driving in so late, but did want the girls to actually be on the Glacier?

We do have a rental car during our stay and I could change my Train reservations and just drop the car in Seward instead of heading back to Anchorage. Do you think there is not enough to do in Seward for a day? Do you think I should do the Glacier Trek on the 30th in the morning and than head to Seward and spend the night there and leave from there on the 31st. Would I still be able to do the Seavey tour and Exit Glacier in half a day? We opted out of Kenai Fjords boat tour because I read here the longer one is the better one but that it did have the potential of sea sickness and my younger daughter got sea sick on a similar tour in Kauai last year so we chose PWS and are hoping for the best.

There is definitely still tweaking that could be done to my itinerary except the port tours, so I welcome any suggestions you and any one may have.

Thanks

Nope, sorry, the trek you are looking at at Matanuska is not worth your time. This barely gets out on the ice, before you turn back. You also are likely to have most of the time on the dark "dirt" ice, which isn't too thrilling.

Since you are asking my advice, the best use of your time, will continue to be a one way Anchorage/Whittier car rental- not a Seward drop off. Spend the night in Seward, then go direct to Whittier, for your boat tour. If you are on the 1pm tours, then leave by 9am.

No, I don't think your idea of doing the glacier trek on the 30th is good either, you are backtracking 4 hours for a 1 hour tour?? Then add another 3 to Seward.

The ONLY suggestion I have for this, is an early departure from Denali Park, and driving to Matanuska, overnight. Then pick up the tour the next am or the pm of arrival. Lodgings are limited, but again, you are underestimating time and distances. I would then only consider the longest trek, so to really have some good trekking exposure, unless you are talking about little kids?

Yes there is plenty to see and do in Seward, way more than you have time for, even with an overnight.

Only a comment, but if you have a potential for a "sea sick" child. There are no guarantees it won't happen elsewhere on the water. I see sick passengers, every trip, and many claim they "never" get sick. :) You may want to consult a health care professional.

As usual, Budget Queen has hit it all right on.................stay in Seward so you can go to the aquarium there; it's fantastic................I think you created a fantastic trip. I know that's hard work but you will be rewarded!

ENJOY!!:)

Archived