VH1 Rock Music Theme Cruise on Carnival Inspiration ... Virtual Slideshow

Dan Askin

These rock cruises are aimed at two sets of new-to-theme cruisers ... those who would not otherwise cruise..

I'm definitely in this group - I've been on 4 of sixthman's boats- including all 3 Ships & Dips which consist of my favorite bands that aren't the Beatles all on one ship (Headlined by BNL and mainly Canadian bands or late 90s era Accoustic/Pop/Rock groups like Great Big Sea, Guster, The Odds, Weakerthans, Gaelic Storm, Jason Plumb, Carbon Leaf, Sarah McLachlan, etc). On the boat I probably got to an average of 20-25 concerts in 5 days, so it's actually a fairly cheap vacation compared to what it would cost to see the same number of shows from each band on land.

I really can't see myself going on a "normal" cruise, I think I'd go stir crazy by the end. I never really for the port stops (if I was going to go to those places again I'd rather have more time to explore than a few hours to check out the touristy areas by the ports which are not my cup of tea), it took me 3 years to make it inside a dining room, I don't want to spend the kind of money required for most of the spa treatments, I slept about 3-4 hrs a night and I came home each year without a voice. I went on The Rock Boat this year only knowing 2 or 3 bands and to be honest I kind of ran out of things to do by the end of it.

I think for these types of trips, being really into either specific bands or music in general is important. I'd love to try Jonathan Coulton's cruise that just got announced, but it's 3 weeks away from next year's Ships & Dip so I had to choose. Also, it's not a full charter which I'm not sure about. I know some bands (Dave Matthews, Rick Springfield, and some others) have done partially themed boats and some people here have said the idea of a la carte entertainment pricing is appealing, but I feel like you'd lose out on the atmosphere. I really like that the Sixthman cruises are a full experience (with unique events besides concerts) and you don't have to worry that other "normal" cruisers think you're weird. Plus I'd be worried the whole time about disturbing the other cruisers who came to relax.

One thing I'd recommend if price is the only thing keeping you away is to watch Sixthman's message boards as the sailing dates approach. If you don't mind rooming with strangers, people are always looking to sell cabin spots cheap to recoup some money if a friend bails at the last second (that's how I ended up on TRB this year, a friend of a friend backed out a month before the sail date even though he had already paid, and he gave me the spot for half price).

Wow, this ended up being a bit of a novel. Sorry!

I was pleased to see the slideshow Cruise Critic put together of the VH1 Best Cruise Ever, as I sailed on that cruise. I've done PLENTY of non-theme cruises, but this sailing was hands down no holds barred, the BEST cruise of my entire life. I'm not sure I could ever return to regular cruising after being a part of this. Yes, the prices are a little elevated compared to a non-theme cruise of the same sailing, but so much was included it was worth it for me. I am eagerly awaiting an announcement for another one. I went on this cruise not being terribly familiar with many bands on it. (3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Lifehouse, and to a lesser extent, Carolina Liar were the only bands I knew.) By the end of the cruise I was a big fan of many new bands. Hanging out, chatting, and grabbing a drink with Lifehouse (my fave band of all time) was priceless. Having the members of Green River Ordinance pile into my cabin when they heard us playing their music, was too much fun. Robe parties with all the band members...impromptu band collaborations...hanging poolside listening to fantastic music...SafetySuit's rainy poolside acoustic set, punctuated with a cannonball finish by lead singer Doug...Lifehouse's unbelievable acoustic atrium concert...Carolina Liar's first rate show in the lounge...how unbelievably cool, friendly, and ready for fun EVERYONE on board was...artists, Sixthman, Carnival staff, and every last guest. It was truly an experience of a lifetime. I would pay double to live through that again. BCE 2011, let's rock this!

Thanks for posting ... I think you really captured the goal of the cruise with your post: creating moments, some of which were setup in advance (costumed teams vying for flip-cup domination) and some of which were impromptu (interaction with the musicians).

I'm definitely in this group - I've been on 4 of sixthman's boats- including all 3 Ships & Dips which consist of my favorite bands that aren't the Beatles all on one ship (Headlined by BNL and mainly Canadian bands or late 90s era Accoustic/Pop/Rock groups like Great Big Sea, Guster, The Odds, Weakerthans, Gaelic Storm, Jason Plumb, Carbon Leaf, Sarah McLachlan, etc). On the boat I probably got to an average of 20-25 concerts in 5 days, so it's actually a fairly cheap vacation compared to what it would cost to see the same number of shows from each band on land.

I really can't see myself going on a "normal" cruise, I think I'd go stir crazy by the end. I never really for the port stops (if I was going to go to those places again I'd rather have more time to explore than a few hours to check out the touristy areas by the ports which are not my cup of tea), it took me 3 years to make it inside a dining room, I don't want to spend the kind of money required for most of the spa treatments, I slept about 3-4 hrs a night and I came home each year without a voice. I went on The Rock Boat this year only knowing 2 or 3 bands and to be honest I kind of ran out of things to do by the end of it.

I think for these types of trips, being really into either specific bands or music in general is important. I'd love to try Jonathan Coulton's cruise that just got announced, but it's 3 weeks away from next year's Ships & Dip so I had to choose. Also, it's not a full charter which I'm not sure about. I know some bands (Dave Matthews, Rick Springfield, and some others) have done partially themed boats and some people here have said the idea of a la carte entertainment pricing is appealing, but I feel like you'd lose out on the atmosphere. I really like that the Sixthman cruises are a full experience (with unique events besides concerts) and you don't have to worry that other "normal" cruisers think you're weird. Plus I'd be worried the whole time about disturbing the other cruisers who came to relax.

One thing I'd recommend if price is the only thing keeping you away is to watch Sixthman's message boards as the sailing dates approach. If you don't mind rooming with strangers, people are always looking to sell cabin spots cheap to recoup some money if a friend bails at the last second (that's how I ended up on TRB this year, a friend of a friend backed out a month before the sail date even though he had already paid, and he gave me the spot for half price).

Wow, this ended up being a bit of a novel. Sorry!

Interesting point about the cabin share, and I think if I had sailed on the Rock Boat/Ship and Dip, the piece would have had a bit more focus on "community." At least some of the draw there seems to be meeting up with old buddies (to a greater extent than the first-of-its-kind VH1 cruise, at least) ... and so something like a cabin sharing forum would work very well in that context.

It's been a fun read..love music..would love a cruise where pop/rock/country whatever preferences could be theme with rest quiet time possible..kind of oxymoron.. ..darn getting older..cost is always issue with preferred folks for the ship. It is nice to see younger theme music cruises on mainstream/affordable lines..great to read this thread.

Personally..would love a Lilith fair kind of cruise..sjn911.

It's been a fun read..love music..would love a cruise where pop/rock/country whatever preferences could be theme with rest quiet time possible..kind of oxymoron.. ..darn getting older..cost is always issue with preferred folks for the ship. It is nice to see younger theme music cruises on mainstream/affordable lines..great to read this thread.

Personally..would love a Lilith fair kind of cruise..sjn911.

If you're into the Lilith Fair-esque music, you might want to check out "Cayamo." You've got your Indigo Girls, Patty Griffin, Kevn Kinney, Buddy Miller, John Prine, Steve Earle singer-songwriter types. (Here's a link to Cruise Critic's music theme cruises feature, which is frequently updated: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1014). It's also a longer cruise, so there are more port stops than your typical music theme sailing.

If you're in the Lilith Fair-esque music, you might want to check out "Cayamo." You've got your Indigo Girls, Patty Griffin, Kevn Kinney, Buddy Miller, John Prine, Steve Earle singer-songwriter types. (Here's a link to Cruise Critic's music theme cruises feature, which is frequently updated: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1014). It's also a longer cruise, so there are more port stops than your typical music theme sailing.

Thank you!!!

Saw Sarah Mclachlan mentioned earlier so ventured out and mentioned it..just got this years stuff...from our one little independent store...

Would also love Bonnie Raitt and John Prine on one...:).

Thank you!!!

Saw Sarah Mclachlan mentioned earlier so ventured out and mentioned it..just got this years stuff...from our one little independent store...

Would also love Bonnie Raitt and John Prine on one...:).

Full disclosure - I work for Sixthman. We are super excited to have John Prine on Cayamo this year. Check out cayamo.com for the full lineup - hope to see you on board, I'll be there!

Full disclosure - I work for Sixthman.

Becki, just want to give a kudos to you and the rest of the Sixthman team. You guys know how to organize an event, and every one of you is so friendly, helpful, fun, and kind. I hope to join you on many future Sixthman events!

Becki, just want to give a kudos to you and the rest of the Sixthman team. You guys know how to organize an event, and every one of you is so friendly, helpful, fun, and kind. I hope to join you on many future Sixthman events!

Thank you so much! We love to give people great vacations. I hope to meet you onboard soon! =)

Sixthman put on a premier event with this cruise. The music and the atmosphere were great. It is different when you book a cruise knowing that everyone else sailing has the same interests. It's less stressful IMO. Meeting people on the ship was sooo very easy. This was not our first cruise with Carnival (see signature below) but it definitely was a stand out :D We are still holding out hope that that there will be a VH1-BCE take two!

If you like music and cruising there is no better combination! And definitely worth the money - all of the music venues are small in comparison to any arena - so every one of the concerts onboard were easily accessible and the sound amazing! And having the opportunity to say hello to the artists as they enjoy their time on the ship... it was very very cool.

Bea

I can't wait to hear more info. I'm ready to book right now without even knowing any artists, lol. I just know it will be a fantastic time no matter what. I'm going to be on pins and needs until I have my cabin officially reserved. :)

I was also on the BCE last year & can't wait to go next year! So excited the dates were announced and looking forward to the lineup! The experience for me and my family was one we will never forget! Looking forward to the repeat!!

[quote name='lisac89']I was also on the BCE last year & can't wait to go next year! So excited the dates were announced and looking forward to the lineup! The experience for me and my family was one we will never forget! Looking forward to the repeat!![/quote]

Hey Lisa,

We're asking people to "share your best theme cruise moment story" on the thread ... does one come to mind?

• 2 weeks later...
So I just found this thread (thanks FB for the link :))

I did my first theme cruise with Sixthman this past January - the Simpleman Cruise with Skynard. My sister's roomie backed out at the last minute so I took the spot. I have to say I had no idea what to expect, but it was a phenomenal experience. I had been on the exact same boat (Carnival Inspiration) in May of 2009 for my birthday so I was familiar with the boat, activities, and general itinerary (well - we were re-routed to Grand Cayman in May because of swine flu in Mexico)... and this cruise hands down was so much more fun and exciting. I was not familiar with ANY of the bands on the cruise and came away with some new favorites - so people, don't let the lack of familiarity with a particular band scare you off. However, of course you must at least be open to the "theme" whatever it is.

I will also tell you that the crowd - at least on my Simpleman cruise - was much more rowdy than the typical ... more drinking, more excess of all kinds. It is not an appropriate venue for children and I was quite disappointed to see a handful of kids on the boat.

I'm already signed up for the next Simpleman cruise and can't wait... I will still do regular cruises (we are going on Celebrity Solstice in November) but for a short getaway that is all about the party, this is definitely the way to go. If I wasn't already doing 3 cruises this year, I would gladly have signed up for the Jillian Michaels cruise or one of the other music cruises. Maybe next year! :)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='lisabucsfan1']So I just found this thread (thanks FB for the link :))

I did my first theme cruise with Sixthman this past January - the Simpleman Cruise with Skynard. My sister's roomie backed out at the last minute so I took the spot. I have to say I had no idea what to expect, but it was a phenomenal experience. I had been on the exact same boat (Carnival Inspiration) in May of 2009 for my birthday so I was familiar with the boat, activities, and general itinerary (well - we were re-routed to Grand Cayman in May because of swine flu in Mexico)... and this cruise hands down was so much more fun and exciting. I was not familiar with ANY of the bands on the cruise and came away with some new favorites - so people, don't let the lack of familiarity with a particular band scare you off. However, of course you must at least be open to the "theme" whatever it is.

I will also tell you that the crowd - at least on my Simpleman cruise - was much more rowdy than the typical ... more drinking, more excess of all kinds. It is not an appropriate venue for children and I was quite disappointed to see a handful of kids on the boat.

I'm already signed up for the next Simpleman cruise and can't wait... I will still do regular cruises (we are going on Celebrity Solstice in November) but for a short getaway that is all about the party, this is definitely the way to go. If I wasn't already doing 3 cruises this year, I would gladly have signed up for the Jillian Michaels cruise or one of the other music cruises. Maybe next year! :)[/quote]

Hey, thanks for posting ... would you think that the VH1 cruise was more appropriate for children? I haven't not been on the Simpleman or Rock Boats, but alums from both said they were more "adult" experiences.

[quote name='Dan Askin']Hey, thanks for posting ... would you think that the VH1 cruise was more appropriate for children? I haven't not been on the Simpleman or Rock Boats, but alums from both said they were more "adult" experiences.[/quote]

Hi Dan,
I've not been on the VH1 cruise previously, but my opinion is that these events are just giant music concerts. Concerts attract all types of people, but generally "I" do not think it is ever appropriate to have a child at a concert venue - whether it's at sea or on land. Others might disagree with me... now if the cruise was geared around the teenie-bopper set and Justin Bieber was performing, that might be a different story! :)

This will be our second Sixthman/VH1 Best Cruise Ever. Super psyched to go again! I would have to agree that this cruise was most definitely geared towards adults and the concert going experience. In fact, it really was a 4 day concert but at sea...

We drove over to Tampa from the east coast of FL last year and stayed the nigtht before at the Marriott where we met many of the other passengers at some pre-cruise events (anyone remember Hot Tuna? :)) The whole trip was a blast! If anyone has any questions - I'll be glad to help and try to answer...

Let the countdown begin! Only 212 days to go!!!!

[quote name='Bea2002']This will be our second Sixthman/VH1 Best Cruise Ever. Super psyched to go again! I would have to agree that this cruise was most definitely geared towards adults and the concert going experience. In fact, it really was a 4 day concert but at sea...

We drove over to Tampa from the east coast of FL last year and stayed the nigtht before at the Marriott where we met many of the other passengers at some pre-cruise events (anyone remember Hot Tuna? :)) The whole trip was a blast! If anyone has any questions - I'll be glad to help and try to answer...

Let the countdown begin! Only 212 days to go!!!![/quote]

I'm right there with you, Bea! We need to get a roll call going. I'm so excited for BCE 2!

Archived