VH1 Rock Music Theme Cruise on Carnival Inspiration ... Virtual Slideshow

Dan Askin

We've just launched part one of a four-part virtual cruise piece on the VH1 Best Cruise Ever, a four-night sailing aboard Carnival Inspiration that featured a dozen rock-pop bands (Lifehouse, 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Carolina Liar, etc.) and plenty of traditional cruise inclusions (belly flop competitions, bingo, waterslidin') ... albeit with a twist.

Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=38

And if anyone has any questions about how music theme cruises operate, feel free to post.

VH1-Best-Cruise-Ever-Carolina-Liar-4.jpg

Curious ... do people on the Carnival boards mostly like their cruising unadulterated? Or have folks cruised sailings with a theme, too?

I've never done a theme cruise, Dan.

I've been tempted but, WOW, are those prices high!

:)

I've never done a theme cruise, Dan.

I've been tempted but, WOW, are those prices high!

It's a great point Mach, and we actually have a story on the docket in which we'll be examining theme cruise pricing. I thought about the pricing a bit differently than I would on a "normal" cruise -- in terms of the cost of passes for a three-day, small- to mid-level rock festival, unusual access to the artists, accommodations for three nights (with your owner shower, very different from camping at, say, Bonnaroo), all-you-can-eat grub.

It's a great point Mach, and we actually have a story on the docket in which we'll be examining theme cruise pricing. I thought about the pricing a bit differently than I would on a "normal" cruise -- in terms of the cost of passes for a three-day, small- to mid-level rock festival, unusual access to the artists, accommodations for three nights (with your owner shower, very different from camping at, say, Bonnaroo), all-you-can-eat grub.

Yeah... very true.

Really, the only theme cruise I've been very tempted to do is a Jimmy Buffett style Parrot Head cruise!

Gotta love Jimmy!

:D

Nice Day 1. Just curious, but were there any people on board who just "stumbled" into this cruise accidentally, or was the whole ship chartered? I know if my mom had booked this cruise, she would have been mortified! (me, I would have loved it!)

June

Nice Day 1. Just curious, but were there any people on board who just "stumbled" into this cruise accidentally, or was the whole ship chartered? I know if my mom had booked this cruise, she would have been mortified! (me, I would have loved it!)

June

I've wondered the same thing.

On one of my voyages on the Conquest there was a group on board that had a bunch of name comedians sailing with them. I never saw one or even saw any reserved venues for their shows. I was kinda hoping to sneak in!

June

This was a full-ship charter, so it would have been totally off the books to a regular cruiser ... although the look of shock on someone's face who had "stumbled" onto such a sailing, thinking they were on a standard short Caribbean cruise, would have been pretty amusing.

Thanks for the review, my DW and 17yr old DD will be on the Sailing with Souhtern Ground theme cruise also by 6th man this labor day on the same ship. Zach brown band and about 15 other groups/artists will be playing. Same itinerary to grand cayman. This will be our first theme cruise and looking very much forward to it. Zac B has even changed the menu up with some of his own home cookn receipes. We have cruised many times so looking for a new experience. :)

Yeah... very true.

Really, the only theme cruise I've been very tempted to do is a Jimmy Buffett style Parrot Head cruise!

Gotta love Jimmy!

:D

Jimmy for me too--hence my screen name.But I think with his popularity he'd have to cruise year round, or better yet..a special cruise that stops at a Caribbean location he is having a concert--with guaranteed tickets to it! Carnival are you listening??

Thanks for the review, my DW and 17yr old DD will be on the Sailing with Souhtern Ground theme cruise also by 6th man this labor day on the same ship. Zach brown band and about 15 other groups/artists will be playing. Same itinerary to grand cayman. This will be our first theme cruise and looking very much forward to it. Zac B has even changed the menu up with some of his own home cookn receipes. We have cruised many times so looking for a new experience. :)

These rock cruises are aimed at two sets of new-to-theme cruisers ... those who've been on a dozen theme-free sailings and are looking for a change (and believe me, this will be unlike anything you've experienced before) and those who would not otherwise cruise. Folks that wouldn't cruise without the rock definitely make up the majority. Definitely let us know if you become a theme cruise convert ... combining two loves can be a pretty persuasive.

Jimmy for me too--hence my screen name.But I think with his popularity he'd have to cruise year round, or better yet..a special cruise that stops at a Caribbean location he is having a concert--with guaranteed tickets to it! Carnival are you listening??

There actually was a Jimmy Buffet "tribute" cruise in Tahiti this past March, with Parrothead activities, costume parties, karaoke, etc ... not the real thing, of course, but 10 percent (?) of the way there.

We've just launched part one of a four-part virtual cruise piece on the VH1 Best Cruise Ever, a four-night sailing aboard Carnival Inspiration that featured a dozen rock-pop bands (Lifehouse, 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Carolina Liar, etc.) and plenty of traditional cruise inclusions (belly flop competitions, bingo, waterslidin') ... albeit with a twist.

And if anyone has any questions about how music theme cruises operate, feel free to post.

Were there any good bands out of the dozen?

Were there any good bands out of the dozen?

Tried to avoid critiquing the music in the piece -- taste being so subjective -- but I really enjoyed 7 Day Binge. Very straightforward blues rock outfit with distorted guitars, simple but brutal drumming and a lead singer with a whiskey-soaked voice.

Pricing is a big issue. But also, if I only like a few of the bands, I wouldn't pay the higher price to see them ALL. Maybe a less expensive cruise, with all the fun theme activities and menu, and an "a la carte" pricing on the bands...put them in the show lounge or something like several mini converts, and have people pay accordingly.

As for Jimmy...there are some "Jimmy-style" (not to be confused with "Jimmy COVER") bands out there that I'm a big fan of. THAT would totally rock to have a handful of them onboard. THAT I would pay for.

Pricing is a big issue. But also, if I only like a few of the bands, I wouldn't pay the higher price to see them ALL. Maybe a less expensive cruise, with all the fun theme activities and menu, and an "a la carte" pricing on the bands...put them in the show lounge or something like several mini converts, and have people pay accordingly.

As for Jimmy...there are some "Jimmy-style" (not to be confused with "Jimmy COVER") bands out there that I'm a big fan of. THAT would totally rock to have a handful of them onboard. THAT I would pay for.

Pay-per show idea is an interesting one...

Music theme cruise pricing is a difficult balancing act. Sixthman, the company that put on the VH1 cruise (and many other music cruises from Kid Rock to John Mayer), has to find a way to offer big enough bands with enough of a fan-base to fill a ship -- but not such big names that they have to charge fares at unrealistic levels to cover the booking costs.

I was pleased to see the slideshow Cruise Critic put together of the VH1 Best Cruise Ever, as I sailed on that cruise. I've done PLENTY of non-theme cruises, but this sailing was hands down no holds barred, the BEST cruise of my entire life. I'm not sure I could ever return to regular cruising after being a part of this. Yes, the prices are a little elevated compared to a non-theme cruise of the same sailing, but so much was included it was worth it for me. I am eagerly awaiting an announcement for another one. I went on this cruise not being terribly familiar with many bands on it. (3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Lifehouse, and to a lesser extent, Carolina Liar were the only bands I knew.) By the end of the cruise I was a big fan of many new bands. Hanging out, chatting, and grabbing a drink with Lifehouse (my fave band of all time) was priceless. Having the members of Green River Ordinance pile into my cabin when they heard us playing their music, was too much fun. Robe parties with all the band members...impromptu band collaborations...hanging poolside listening to fantastic music...SafetySuit's rainy poolside acoustic set, punctuated with a cannonball finish by lead singer Doug...Lifehouse's unbelievable acoustic atrium concert...Carolina Liar's first rate show in the lounge...how unbelievably cool, friendly, and ready for fun EVERYONE on board was...artists, Sixthman, Carnival staff, and every last guest. It was truly an experience of a lifetime. I would pay double to live through that again. BCE 2011, let's rock this!

So price is the biggest deterrent to people trying a theme cruise?

Yep, price for me... would love to do Rock Boat, but by the time I fly down there... I'd have to do a back to back on the next sailing to balance out the cost of the theme one. Love the idea though, and if I lived near a port, I'd be definitely more interested.

Archived