Check Those Virgin Drinks!!!!

We sailed on the Inspiration June 19 and had a ball. Of course we are cruise addicts so we are ready to sail again.

While on the cruise, our 16 year olds ordered virgin Kiss on the Lips at dinner. After a while, they became unusually silly. DH joked and that there must be alcohol in the drink. Sure enough, he tasted it and the drinks contained alcohol. Just wanted to let everyone know to check those drinks, especially if your'e ordering for young children.

Yep, my DH ordered a virgin Pina Colada for my 8 year old son yesterday on the Triumph and, thankfully, my DH noticed the bartender pouring alcohol into it and intervened. That would not have been a good situation! The bartender was very apologetic.

Funny you should write about that!! My son ordered some chocolate drink, it's on the menu. Anyway, he said it tasted like alcohol was in it. I tried it and it seem like there was some in to me, but I don't make non-alcohlic drinks so i don't know what they put in them for flavor. The Asst Cruise Director came up to talk to us and I mentioned it to him and he took it and had them make my son a new one. He came back with a completely different looking drink. We thought that was very interesting!! I think it was ok to assume it was not a non-alcoholic drink.

Luckily my son's school has instilled into him that alcohol is bad!! Lets hope that sticks;):eek::rolleyes:

I tended bar while attending college. One night while I was working at Steak and Ale, I poured a 5 year old a Rob Roy rather than a Roy Rogers. Thankfully his mother laughed it off when she smelled the bourbon :eek:

I tended bar while attending college. One night while I was working at Steak and Ale, I poured a 5 year old a Rob Roy rather than a Roy Rogers. Thankfully his mother laughed it off when she smelled the bourbon :eek:

ROFL! If you did that today they'd have carted you off to prison.

On our first cruise on the Ecstasy in 2005 my 8 year old autistic son ordered a virgin daquari and luckily I tasted it first because there was nothing virgin about it! It was a downright ho!:eek: Can you imagine the alcohol mixed with my sons meds?

ROFL! If you did that today they'd have carted you off to prison.

No kidding! I felt so bad. She just laughed and said it was ok. She could smell it well before he got the straw to his lips. We all make mistakes and I'd likely brush it off too... if I caught it in time. It could have been very bad though. The kid was upset because I took away the drink and the cherry. I gave him a whole bowlful to make up for it.

The kids were on the opposite side of the table, so smelling the alcohol was not possible. We later discovered they were not going to say anything, the plan was to take advantage of the mix-up and in my son's words, "Enjoy the family vacation."

On future cruises, they will be subjected to a "taste test" for all non-alcoholic drinks until they are legally able to drink.

The kids were on the opposite side of the table, so smelling the alcohol was not possible. We later discovered they were not going to say anything, the plan was to take advantage of the mix-up and in my son's words, "Enjoy the family vacation."

On future cruises, they will be subjected to a "taste test" for all non-alcoholic drinks until they are legally able to drink.

I'm sure as mom you are upset, but that is kind of funny - your son's reaction. I would have done the same thing at 16. The staff definitely needs to learn to read the tickets better if this is happening often.

The exact same thing has happened to my nieces - who were 14 at the time - when they have ordered virgin strawberry daiquri's in the main theatre.

After a couple of sips - one of them said...."this tastes funny". We checked it out and sure enough...it was a regular one :eek:.

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I'll have to watch for that though I'm sure DD would tell me if it tasted like it had alcohol in it. Two years ago at her sister's wedding she was a bridesmaid and while sitting at the head table with the rest of the wedding party, the waiters poured them all champagne (DD was 12 though she definitely looked older, but not 21!). She brought the glass to me. :D

All the Shirley Temples she's ordered on our cruises have been fine, but better safe...

I'm sure as mom you are upset, but that is kind of funny - your son's reaction. I would have done the same thing at 16. The staff definitely needs to learn to read the tickets better if this is happening often.

Yeah - since it has happened so many times - we have decided that it probably happens WAY more often than it should :cool:.

Yep! My 17 year old got a non-virgin fruit drink of some type. We were at the bar at the Lido deck and she came up to us and ordered and used her own card. Her 27 year old sister figured it out but the kid had already sucked it dry by that point. We laughed it off, because what else are you going to do once it is gone?

Definitely not laughing at the situation but cracking up at your choice of words:

I caught that, but didn't. Must be that damn non virgin wine I'm drinking LOL How funny!

I want the Mods to insert this thread into every thread bitching about over priced drinks with no booze in them!:p:rolleyes::D:D

You tell 'em, Dan! So , if I smuggle are virgins cheaper? I can pour my rum runner into the virgin drink and save money?

I ordered a virgin drink one night and it had alcohol in it. I was charged virgin drink price too. I just drank it, but I am of age.

Sooooo... here's an idea.... we can order virgins and hope they are loaded with alcohol? Good way to save money and not smuggle, I suppose.

Sooooo... here's an idea.... we can order virgins and hope they are loaded with alcohol? Good way to save money and not smuggle, I suppose.

After reading this thread I was starting to think the same thing:D

I ordered a virgin drink one night and it had alcohol in it. I was charged virgin drink price too. I just drank it, but I am of age.

Yeah.....DH said I should go to ordering virgin ones. We figure there is a better than 50/50 chance we'd get a regular one - at the virgin price ;) LOL!!

My DS would love for this to happen on our cruise in September. He turns 19 a week from Monday, and that is the legal drinking age in Nova Scotia (Canada)... But when we cruise, the "Florida Age" will be in effect, so he would need to be 21... He says that it is ok though... cause when we have our stop in Cozumel, the Mexican drinking age of 8 ;)( lol ) will kick in and he can catch up :rolleyes:

Archived