Check Those Virgin Drinks!!!!

My DD who is 14 (but looks like she is 19) ordered a smootihe on our Feb. dream cruise. She thought it had alcohol in it. She had my DW taste it and it did have alcohol in it. So we got another one without. But, that is very good advice you give. Some teenagers wouldn't know and others would know and drink it anyway.

Neuron fired... We should suggest to Carnival, et al. blocking the purchase of alcohol on chosen S&S cards. Maybe put "Friend of Bill W." as an option in the Fun Pass signup.

That way someone couldn't accidentally ring up an alcohol containing drink to a passenger holding a blocked card. Doesn't solve the problem of the bartender screwing up but gives those passengers one more tool to use.

(And yes, Carnival's point of sale system is sophisticated enough to implement that.)

- IT Geek

What if they are paying for group drinks (rounds)? So this won't work.

I ordered a virgin drink one night and it had alcohol in it. I was charged virgin drink price too. I just drank it, but I am of age.

Off Topic: Woo... The Stig!!! :D (DH is very much like Captain Slow. I love him for it!)

On Topic: When I was about 10 I ordered a Horse's Tail (ginger ale with a whole lemon peel cork screw in the glass) and got a Horse's Neck (brandy, or sometimes rye whisky or bourbon, and ginger ale)

I fessed up to my parents.

Besides the kiddos drinks getting spiked I just thought of something else. Friends of Bill W are abstaining from drinking and they don't need something like this throwing them off the wagon.

Yes, I was also thinking this. I'd also be concerned about pregnant women and. like a PP said, people who are special meds.

Does anyone know how much a virgin drink costs?

If you know what I mean. ;)

Ok, sorry, sorry, sorry! I resisted as long as I could!!

I love your sense of humor and your initial restraint. There was another comment similar on page 2 I think that I was going to comment on but was still restraining. :p

My response would have been something like...that's a Vegas vacation but I am really trying to behave myself on here. :o

Way cool to hear from other Friends of Bill! I have 11 years, and definitely plan on ordering a frou-frou frozen drink with an umbrella for my first cruise!

I never thought about the possibility that it could have alcohol. I guess the best idea is to watch it being made, but what about ordering from a "roving" waiter? I never heard about "sucking it from the bottom" :D.

That's a plan, but wouldn't do much good after I've drank it! :eek:

I order decaf Americano at Starbuck$ - I say it to the cashier, the barista, and ask again when they deliver - this is decaf, right? And I swear I get a "woozy" one every once in awhile!

Will you all please get your minds out of the gutter?:D:D And I would love Carnival to somehow "mark" sign and sail cards to make sure they are "alcohol free." I am sure it would be pretty easy to do as we check in - that way there is a double check point. (when you verbally order a virgin drink, and when they see it marked "no alcohol" on the card.) I am sure there will still be mistakes made, but maybe it will cut down on the number of them.

I am very proud of everyone (includeing myself from using some restraint on this thread .

Some of these posts were just brimming with double entendre *LOL*

Perhaps we are growing up? ............................Nah that couldn't be it. *LOL*

Does anybody else find it shocking the number of folks at this site alone who have ordered virgin drinks and received them with alcohol? Just imagine how prevalent of a problem this must be. I think this could be a big liability problem for Carnival giving alcohol to children and others on special meds who should not mix the two.

Does anybody else find it shocking the number of folks at this site alone who have ordered virgin drinks and received them with alcohol? Just imagine how prevalent of a problem this must be. I think this could be a big liability problem for Carnival giving alcohol to children and others on special meds who should not mix the two.

I'm not surprised because we've had it happen several times when traveling with my stepdaughter at land resorts and even at local restaurants when waiting at the bar for our table. We just swap drinks and laugh because for us it's no big deal. But I see why it's a serious problem for some.

Francie

First and foremost, congrats and best wishes to all those in the program. I have many family members fighting the good fight and I have heard what a battle it truely is.

Secondly, it is shocking to hear how common this is. Thanks for putting up a great thread.

Lastly, I think my DD's virgin strawberry daiquiris were around $5 or so onboard.

I wasn't inferring that this was a problem mainly on cruise ships, but if it happens at land based restaurants/resorts it would be equally disturbing. Some folks may have the luxury of laughing it off, others may not. I'm not even sure if I could tell if there was alcohol in one of the fruity drinks until the effects started.

I wasn't inferring that this was a problem mainly on cruise ships, but if it happens at land based restaurants/resorts it would be equally disturbing. Some folks may have the luxury of laughing it off, others may not. I'm not even sure if I could tell if there was alcohol in one of the fruity drinks until the effects started.

We laugh because of the look on my stepdaughter's face. She crinkles up her nose and says "Booze" and sticks the glass out toward her Dad. But I understand for many it's not a laughing matter.

having bartended for several years , yes I can see it happening . When you start getting busy , the orders are coming at you pretty fast and furious . Mistakes can be made .

I have worked in some places that get pretty packed and pretty crazy. Nobody is perfect.

I understand for some ,drinking the alcoholic drink can have more serious consequences than just "Yuck Alcohol"

To all those fighting the good fight. God Bless you and keep up the great work. I know a great deal of people who are right there with you and I know it is a struggle every day. But I know they will all agree it is so worth it

My kids were teens on our last cruise so this has got me wondering if they were ever served alcohol in drinks they ordered as virgin. I kind of doubt it though because their S & S accounts were both under $10.00 for the whole week. If they had been getting alcohol in their drinks theirs S & S accounts probably would have been MUCH higher. LOL.

We've had this happen twice on cruises with our kids. The first was at a past guest party on the Elation. DS (then 5) had been drinking fruit punch. The waiter came by and sat another one down in front of him. He took one drink of it and said this is bad fruit punch. It was actually one of the rum punch drinks. The second one was a virgin pina colada DD(13) ordered from a roving waiter at the pool in Feb. It was stronger than the regular pina colada's I'd had from that bar earlier in the day.

Way cool to hear from other Friends of Bill! I have 11 years, and definitely plan on ordering a frou-frou frozen drink with an umbrella for my first cruise!

I never thought about the possibility that it could have alcohol. I guess the best idea is to watch it being made, but what about ordering from a "roving" waiter? I never heard about "sucking it from the bottom" :D.

That's a plan, but wouldn't do much good after I've drank it! :eek:

Hey PE, my father has 30+ years. When we cruise, I usually go to the bar and order the drinks so I can make sure it's virgin. If there's any question, he has me taste it for him.

As for the friend of Bill W. thing, wouldn't it be easier to just have a tonic with a twist of lime for those times when you want to blend in with the drinking crowd? No chance of a slip-up there.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but the support for friends of Bill W is great. I have been sober for over 2 years. I went on a cruise a few months in and luckily didn't order virgin anything. I can't imagine.

As for the friend of Bill W. thing, wouldn't it be easier to just have a tonic with a twist of lime for those times when you want to blend in with the drinking crowd? No chance of a slip-up there.

As far as me. I don't order to fit in I order what I like. Virgin or not u should always get what you order. I hate to imagine what my reaction would have been to have been served a virgin in my drinking days. :D

Archived