QM2 April 2nd

Dajlan2

Hi all
Commodore Warwick is on vacation our Captain will be
Paul Wright a Cunard veteran with an excellent reputation.
It appears the dress schedule will be:
Aprill 2nd Casual
April 3rd Formal
April 4th Formal
April 5th Informal Jacket and tie required
April 6th " "
April 7th " "
April 8th Formal
April 9th Casual

On the second do not know how crowded the Commodore Club
will be but we will try to sit on Port side. Left as you look over the bow.
Anyone get a boarding time earlier than 1PM?
Mary arrives in New York Wendesday March 9th to start a series of
carribean trips leading up to ours.
Bill

[quote name='cruiservictor']Thanks for mentioning Cruisecal.com Dajlan2. I was not aware of it. I just did some quick adding up of the normal passenger capacity of the 8 ships tha will be in St Thomas on April 5th, and I get just under 19,000. Oy. I may not even try going ashore that day. I wonder how far out we'll have to anchor with 7 other ships in port with us. That might be some long tender ride...[/QUOTE]

Cruisevictor,
while I haven't lived in St.Thomas for many years, I was born and raised there.
3-4 ships is normal; 8 ships will make it VERY crowded but the prices of items will be cheaper for many things as well, since tourism is the main industry of the island, and retailers /street vendors will do anything to capitalize on the large amount of tourist.

Not sure how its handled now adays, but there use to be ships in the main harbor, some off the islands, and then some in subbase area (north of the downtown area).

Natives tend to stay away from the town on these days - so expect the rush and crowds to be all tourist based.

YvonneE

[quote name='Baron2e']Hi all
Commodore Warwick is on vacation our Captain will be
Paul Wright a Cunard veteran with an excellent reputation.
It appears the dress schedule will be:
Aprill 2nd Casual
April 3rd Formal
April 4th Formal
April 5th Informal Jacket and tie required
April 6th " "
April 7th " "
April 8th Formal
April 9th Casual

On the second do not know how crowded the Commodore Club
will be but we will try to sit on Port side. Left as you look over the bow.
Anyone get a boarding time earlier than 1PM?
Mary arrives in New York Wendesday March 9th to start a series of
carribean trips leading up to ours.
Bill[/QUOTE]

Too bad about the Commodore being on Vacation. Was looking forward to seeing him in person. Now the cruise is ruined since we won't have the real skipper at the helm. WE'RE NOT GOING! ( only kidding )

Dressing for dinner will take up most of our luggage space. All this for 6 nights? :eek:

I'll be packing my tux with a black tie and white tie set up, dark blue suit, grey suit, 2 jackets, 2 dress pants, 2 formal shirts, 4 dress shirts, 4 ties, dress shoes and formal shoes.

Phyllis will be packing 3 long evening gowns, 2 dresses, 1 or 2 pant suits, 5 dress shoes and 5 purses/evening bags.:rolleyes:

Not to mention all the other crap like belts and socks, etc. Where we're packing our casual stuff is beyond me.:confused:

We have never attempted to pack this much. LOL, our next cruise is on NCL. With Freestyle, we won't have to pack any dress clothes.:p

I don't think the club will be crowded at all but wonder if it will be open for business that early after embarkation. We'll be there though. Are you going to sneak a bottle of liquor onboard Bill in case the bar is closed?:D

I and my friend, Diane are also booked on the April 2 QM2. I live in Fort Lee NJ and she lives in Cliffside Park. So it looks like there will be plenty of people from NJ. We are booked in category B3. This will be my 9th cruise and about Diane's 5th. I until recently worked in Downtown NYC and used to pass the piers on way to work. I am glad that I read this thread -- didn't realize that there were 3 formal nights. Somehow missed that info. Hope to meet some of you onboard.

Ellen

Getting closer.
On a cold day Mary2 sits at the pier in NYC and will sail
tonight at 5PM. Have found out the bars are open when you board.
We are also from Ft Lee the Paris of the East. Thinking about drinks and
dinner Friday March 25th {Good Friday} at Chart House in Weehawken
New Jersey. Restaurant is on the river opposite the pier and we can
watch her sail knowing the next trip is ours. Anyone interested email
us direct.
Bill and Eileen
[email="Baron2e@AOL.com"]Baron2e@AOL.com[/email]

Cruiser Victor Victor and Nancy New York

2Moose James and Angela New Jersey

Colby Betsy and Bernie Mass.

Jeff55 Jeff and Bob and Margaret New Jersey

Coolcruiser Chuck and Phyllis New York

Baron2e Bill and Eileen and John New Jersey

Dajlan2 Andrea and Barbara England

etz55 Ellen and Diane New Jersey

Airships Georgia

Thanks to YvonneE for the comments about St. Thomas. I was last there on a cruise on the QE2 in 1999, and we anchored quite far out and were tendered in to the dock area on the east side of Charlotte Amalie harbor, near what I think is the Havensight Mall. On an earlier cruise to St. Thomas, I remember docking all the way on the west side of the harbor. We'll have to see how things work out when we are there.

Regarding Commodore Warwick/Captain Wright - my wife and I sailed with then-Captain Warwick twice, both on the QE2. The first time was in April 1999 (roundtrip New York/Caribbean) and the second time was on the first leg of the 2003 World Cruise, from NYC to LA. In fact, Captain Wright was the master for the first 2 days of that cruise from NYC to Fort Lauderdale, before Captain Warwick resumed command. For some reason I still remember Captain Wright's noon announcement from the bridge on the sea day, when he said that the next day "Captain Warwick and his lovely wife Kim" would be back on board.

A quick note about Captain Wright - I dug out some old daily programs (I have every one for all 21 cruises we have been on) and when I looked at the very first one from the very first cruise, on the Cunard Countess in 1987, the First Officer was Paul Wright. I'll have to remember to bring that program - perhaps Captain Wright would get a kick out of seeing it if I happen to run into him in the corridor one day.

I have a narrow view of the Hudson from my office and just missed her this morning. I did see her funnel over some of the West side buildings though as she traveled North. Viewing her docked on the cam, I see three decks below the Promenade above the top of the pier. I can't remember any ship that tall docked in NYC.

I wonder what the range of boarding assigned hours are? What's the earliest and latest hours listed on documents. I have a feeling that no one is going to pay any attention to that. We always arrive early to make sure we secure a parking space in the locked up area up top. We'll arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. Our documents list 1:00 PM. If we have to wait around, so be it.

In St Thomas, don't forget to take the tram up to Paradise Point and have a Bushwacker. Very tasty. We make them at home, ever since the first time and now everyone asks for them all the time.

My workplace has a spectacular view of the Hudson. We look out over the LIRR rail yard at 33rd Street. I brought my camera last night, but by the time she sailed it was nearly dark. Still it was quite a magnificent sight with the red twilight in the background.
Only 23 more days.

Not sure about a Bushwacker, but there are some interesting shots of the QM2 docking yesterday morning in NY on the World Ship Society web site worldshipny.com. Looked like she was backing up the Hudson towards the GW Bridge there at the beginning.

[quote name='cruiservictor']Not sure about a Bushwacker, but there are some interesting shots of the QM2 docking yesterday morning in NY on the World Ship Society web site worldshipny.com. Looked like she was backing up the Hudson towards the GW Bridge there at the beginning.[/QUOTE]
GREAT PICS THANX FOR THE INFO.CAPTION UNDER PICTURE SAID QM2 CAUGHT BY WIND AND TIDES. TOUGH PARKING JOB.

Go to

[url="http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/coupon.html"]http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/coupon.html[/url]

Print out coupons for $1.00 off the Bushwacker. Each coupon is numbered so go back and print another or how many you want. We will have a couple while we're up there. I'll get the first round and Phyllis will get the second as it's suppose to be one coupon per visit.

[quote name='Chuck & Phyllis']A frozen drink, that's fantastic! I have the recipe but you have to first try it on Paradise Point where the drink originated.[/QUOTE]
THANX FOR THE INFO ONPARADISE POINT. IT SAYS BUSHWACKER IS WHIPPED CREAM, HEAVY CREAM AN 5 LIQUERS.

Holy Cow!!!its A Miracle!!!they Found My Address !!!!! I Just Recieved My Docs. Double Upgrade To P-1.!!! Surely They Made A Mistake. Hey Chuck And Phyllis You'll Have To Wait To Next Year For The Party In The Duplex.

Yes, our documents finally came today also. I was starting to get a bit concerned.
We have a boarding time of 2:30 PM. We'll arrive somewhat sooner than that, but I don't know if we'll get to the Commodore by 3.

We have gone on the QM2 twice and both times they did not pay any attention to boarding times. Both times we boarded several hours before our assigned times. We have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale both times, but in reading other posts on this board, I have never seen anyone denied boarding because of their assigned time. I would go as early as you like. All the more time to enjoy a beautiful ship!! Enjoy!

We have early seating. Anyone else? I know that early seating booked up quite awhile ago because in October is was waitlisted. Strange huh? We choose it because we eat earlier at home and found that with late seating, after eating, we're too tired to party so to speak. For a while, on many of our cruises, we chose late seating because it was the most desirable and more convenient on port days. Still is a good reaon. But we find that there's a new day after dinner whan we dine early.

Of course, this only applies to steerage pax. Those in the Grills get to dine at will. Yeah, Jim, we too think you should have that party in that P1.:D

Just kidding about a party of course, even if you had gotten a duplex. Perhaps booking GTY direct with Cunard pays off sometimes. Being a past passenger on Cunard, you deserve it. Is this your first upgrade to Grill class with them?

BTW, I think we probably broke or will break the record on this forum for the number of posts. I remember when I came to this board after booking. There was very little activity but sure has picked up during the last 6 months or so.

Nope, we're 4th right now and don't think we'll reach the #1 spot which has 175 replies.

We Had Two Previous Trips On The Qe2 The First Was An Upgrade To P-1 From A Standard Room . (the Princess Grill Really Spoiled Us. )the 2nd Cruise Was Xmas O4 16 Days And We Paid Dearly For A P-2 And Recieved No Upgrade. (i Understand That The Xmas Cruise Is Bad For Upgrades Because Cunard Gives Preferance To Thier Employees & Familys). This Trip We Were Not Planning On ,but In October We Recieved An Offer Of" Buy A Balcony And They Would Give Us A P-2 " And Then Recently We Recieved A P-1 Which Is Really The Same Thing. We Are Looking Forward To Our First Trip On The Qm2 And Looking Forward To Meeting You Folks As Well. We Are Hooked On Cunard Line And The Ny To Ny Agenda. Best Regards. Jim And Ang

Oh, OK, that's the promotion we hesitated on and then was too late when we decided to go for it. If you like NY to NY, you gotta try the Dawn sometime. Really a great ship. Not Cunard by any means but beautiful ship, good food, service and entertainment. Really lucked out for our Sept cruise coming up as I previously mentioned with our aft suite. We're really excited about the QM2. This years cruises are going to be the best for us in all the years we've been cruising, I think.

New question for our CC members. What excusions or plans does everyone have for the ports of call? We're not sure yet and might just explore on our own. Anyone have any suggestions?

Archived