Capri from Sorrento

DD

We'll be in Sorrento from 7 am to 7 pm. We have to tender, so effectively let's say 8 or 8:30 to 5 or 5:30. The most important thing that I want to do is go to Capri to do the Blue Grotto. Yes, I know there is the Green Grotto and the White Grotto, but the Blue Grotto is on my life-list.

Do I have time to do this? I've contacted several private companies and am waiting for responses. I've done a search in the forum to see what others have to say, but I still am not sure if my time-frame will work.

I typically do independent excursions, however, for one that involves multiple boat rides, I'd lean towards a ship-sponsored excursion. Unfortunately, while Princess offers many excursions to Capri, none include the Blue Grotto.

Any suggestions as to if this is doable? Am I going to run myself ragged trying to do this in the time available?

You have plenty of time, and it's quite easy to do on your own. You take a ferry from Sorrento to Capri Marina Grande, where you will find the companies that take you out to the Blue Grotto right at the marina. We paid about 12 Euro per person last summer for the boat from Marina Grande to the Blue Grotto, plus another 10 Euro (in cash) for the boats that actually take you into the Grotto.

We did this in an afternoon, after spending the morning in Naples.

I have researched this trip. The trip from Sorrento to Capri is 90 minutes each way. That's 3 hours subtracted from your time in port. If you tender that's additional time & you must be back on board at least a 1/2 hour before sailing. I have checked the hydrofoil schedules from Sorrento to Capri & have found only a few in the A.M. & P.M. We are taking the ship sponsored tour to Capri (Century @$149 P/P). If there is a delay on the return the ship will wait for us.(I hope-LOL). JACK

I'm not sure where you got your information Jack, but it does not take that long to get to Capri from Sorrento.

There are slower and faster ferries, but neither take 90 minutes. Were you perhaps looking at a ferry that made another stop before going to Capri?

Also, there are several ferries each hour (during the season, that is), from at least two different companies. Here are the web sites for two of them:

Caremar: http://www.caremar.it/Pagine/home.aspx

Gescab: http://www.consorziolmp.it/

DIY is not for everyone - but it's not that difficult.

I have researched this trip. The trip from Sorrento to Capri is 90 minutes each way. That's 3 hours subtracted from your time in port. If you tender that's additional time & you must be back on board at least a 1/2 hour before sailing. I have checked the hydrofoil schedules from Sorrento to Capri & have found only a few in the A.M. & P.M. We are taking the ship sponsored tour to Capri (Century @$149 P/P). If there is a delay on the return the ship will wait for us.(I hope-LOL). JACK

Reckon I can swim it in under 90 mins, Jack.:D

My guess is that you've pumped Salerno-Capri into your PC.:confused:

Off the top of my head Capri's no more than 20 mins from Sorrento.:)

With an island, such as Capri, cancelled ferries are always a risk to "back on board/last tender" time, but when the seas cut up rough it's the Capri-Naples ferries that stop running - the Sorrento trad ferry keeps plodding on.:)

As Euro-Cruiser's post, time isn't likely to be an issue.

And although "last tender" time is likely to be earlier than "back on board" time, that's the time you have to be at the jetty, not the time you have to be aboard. The ship won't sail leaving a line waiting at the jetty if everyone doesn't fit in the "last tender".:rolleyes:

John Bull

Archived