advice on Kauai

findmewdw

We will be sailing on POA in Oct. We are wanting to do the Smith's luau on our first night in Kauai. Will we have enough time to rent a car and see Waimea Canyon that morning and then go to Smith's later in the day? If we keep the rental, then thinking about driving the North Shore the next morning. . . I know the ship leaves earlier the second day. Would we have enough time to enjoy the beach? Trying to decide if we should keep car rental, too. So many decisions.

Thanks for your time.

On your first day you would have time to drive to Waimea and back and could likely stop at Poipu beach on the way back before going to the Luau. Driving to the north shore and back is doable but I'm not sure when your ship departs so you need to know that you won't be driving on a freeway, the speed liimit is pretty much 50-55mph, traffic on Kauai is getting worse and worse, so an accident or road construction can chew up lots of time. FYI there is a very nice beach (Kalapaki) within an easy 10 min walk of where the ship docks. Enjoy your trip.

We did Waimea Canyon and North Shore on the first day, although we only went as far as Hanalei and did not make that many stops. I would think you could hit Smith's Luau on the way back from North Shore.

On day 2 we went down to Spouting Horn; probably would have had time for Poipu Beach. I would NOT have wanted to drive to North Shore on day 2. Traffic was bad north of Lihue and I would have worried about being back in time.

Yes, we are scared we won't be back in time for Day 2. We may just rent a car for Day 1. If we were to return the car after the laua, how would we get back to the ship? Wouldn't all the companies be closed at that hour or at least the shuttles stopped?

Yes, we are scared we won't be back in time for Day 2. We may just rent a car for Day 1. If we were to return the car after the laua, how would we get back to the ship? Wouldn't all the companies be closed at that hour or at least the shuttles stopped?

Which October sailing are you on? We are on the Oct 9 sailing. We are also planning on doing the Smith Luau the first night in Kauai. We are renting a car and driving the the North Shore that morning. We are going to return the car before the luau. I contacted Smith about the best way to get to/from the luau and they suggested that we book their luau through Roberts. If you book through Roberts, it includes transportation. That way everyone can enjoy a mai tai or two at the luau and we won't have to have a designated driver.

On day two we are going to do a helicopter tour and then go to the beach near the ship, so we won't need the car that day.

We just got back from POA 7/3. We did the canyon and then drove all the way to the end of the North Shore to Kaa beach on the first day but didn't get back until around 7:00. We did the old Lahina Luau in Maui so we didn't have to rush in Kauai. You probably don't have time for the North shore on the 2nd day because the traffic gets congested on the east side. On day 2 we went to Poipu beach and sprouting horn and saw one waterfall but had to return the car and be back on the ship by 1:30. I do agree that if you want to see the canyon and do the Luau then you probably have time for Poipu beach on the south shore. It's a beautiful beach and we did some snorkeling there. If you keep you rental car you do have to pay $20.00 to park it overnight or you can park it in the airport for $8.00 but have to take the shuttle back to get it. We rented a convertible in Kauai and really enjoyed it except when the rain showers hit us in spurts. Have a great trip!

KOS68--about what time did you leave the Canyon and head up to the North Shore? We are power hang gliding from 11-12:30 on day 1 and then are debating going to Poipu Beach, etc...or heading to the North Shore. WE don't have to be back for the luau but would love to find someplace for cocktails/sunset and take our time on the North Shore. Our friends ARE planning to do the luau so we would have to debate trying to hang together that day or not depending on what we decide.

I just wanted to second the suggestion of Kalapaki Beach on Day 2. You will have to be back on board by 1:30 p.m.

We planned to walk to Kalapaki but there were 2 free shuttles to some adjacent shuttles so we hopped on board those. The beach is public and is in front of the Marriott. There is an outdoor shower so you can get the sand off in a park right there.

Enjoy!

find someplace for cocktails/sunset and take our time on the North Shore.

The bar at the Hanalei Bay Resort (Princeville) is nice for sunsets. They have (or maybe had) tiger prawn pupus in some sort of ginger sauce, delicious. The newly refurbed St Regis (ex-Princeville Hotel) probably has a nice spot too tho' I've not been there since it reopened.

Down south, Poipu isn't bad either, then you can go and have pupus at Brenneke's. Some drive all the way to Polihale beach but I'd be afraid of getting stuck.

I'm drooling......

find someplace for cocktails/sunset and take our time on the North Shore.

The bar at the Hanalei Bay Resort (Princeville) is nice for sunsets. They have (or maybe had) tiger prawn pupus in some sort of ginger sauce, delicious. The newly refurbed St Regis (ex-Princeville Hotel) probably has a nice spot too tho' I've not been there since it reopened.

Down south, Poipu isn't bad either, then you can go and have pupus at Brenneke's. Some drive all the way to Polihale beach but I'd be afraid of getting stuck.

I'm drooling......

Thanks!

If you get an early enough start you shouldn't have a problem with the North shore drive on day 2. Heck, most of the good parking spaces at Ke'e or Tunnels are completely filled by 9 or 9:30 anyway. Yes, traffic is congested around Kapa'a, and delays you maybe 15-20 minutes from "normal" driving, but it's not 40 miles of LA rush hour.

If you start before 8 and head straight to Ke'e, you can have a grand time there or Haena bay or Tunnels and just make your way back. If you leave Ke'e by 11:00 it's hard to imagine it taking anywhere close to 2 hours to return. And it is a gorgeous drive, especially from Princeville to the end of the road. Even if you don't stop at a beach it's worth the drive.

• 2 months later...

I am bringing back this thread I just found while doing a search for Poipu Beach. I am hoping to get a few more opinions about spending time there on day 2 of the POA itinerary.

I love the idea of a beach day on our last day of the cruise, but I am concerned about how much time we would have there since we have to get our rental car returned and be back on board by 1:30. We are snorkelers and I understand that the beach closer to the ship does not have snorkeling, so I was hoping to be able to do Poipu instead. Also, my mother (who will be 81 years old when we cruise) wants to go parasailing somewhere. Is parasailing available at Poipu? Or should we just give up the idea of snorkeling and relax closer to the ship at the beach there? So many decisions.....

We will be sailing on POA in Oct. We are wanting to do the Smith's luau on our first night in Kauai. Will we have enough time to rent a car and see Waimea Canyon that morning and then go to Smith's later in the day? If we keep the rental, then thinking about driving the North Shore the next morning. . . I know the ship leaves earlier the second day. Would we have enough time to enjoy the beach? Trying to decide if we should keep car rental, too. So many decisions. Thanks for your time.

Just a thought - what about driving to the north side the first day, if you are in shape for a short hike be sure to do yourself a huge favor and do the first part of the Kalalu trail (if even just the first 1/2 mile) for some of the best views you will probably ever see. The trail will probably be a little muddy so wear shoes you can clean or don't mind getting a bit soiled. Here is a web sight to give you a lot of information to make your decision as to whether you might want to spend part of your day on this hike. http://www.condosinkauai.com/Kalalau_Trail.html

We will be on this island for a week in October so if you do the hike please don't soak up all the beautiful views so we can enjoy a few behind ya :D .

The toughest part of the day for me would be pulling myself away from the unbelievable views along this trail to attend a Luau.

Then on the second morning you could do a stress free drive up to Waimea Canyon and enjoy a less strenuous day with some (drive right up to) great views.

Traffic will not be a problem with this itinerary except for the drive back to the ship to get ready for the evening Luau.

Either way you go you end up with a great trip on a beautiful island.

Considering (in my opinion of course) this is by far the prettiest island you will visit while on your cruise, keeping the car is a very small price to pay to enjoy both ends of the horseshoe shaped road around this island.

Archived