What type of detergent do the laundry machines take?

Either kind - I usually bring my own on board. I am not sure what they sell in the machines in the laundry room. Have you seen the new Purex sheets - they are like a dryer sheet with the laundry soap in them, they would be easy to pack and go.

My vote goes for the Purex 3-In-One sheets! One sheet contains the detergent, softener, and then throw it in the dryer for anti-static! They are a no muss, light-weight solution, in my opinion!;)

I found laundry soap tablets to take on board. Drives me nuts to pay for soap when I have it at home! They are Tide but I'm not sure if they make them anymore. I also put a few dryer sheets in a ziplock bag to take. The tables are less messy than liquid. If I run out of the tablets I'd probably just measure out some packets of soap powder to take. I generally only do two loads. One dark, one light. When I dry, I divide the loads by fabric, knits/delicates and woven. Knits dry faster, when they are dry I split up the wovens and finish them up in two smaller dryer loads. It has seemed to work for me.

I used the Purez 3-in-1 sheets on the Glory in December ........... so easy, won't leak when packing them. Loved not having to swish the powdered detergent they sell around in the machine so it wouldn't cake and then not having to wait to catch the rinse cycle either :D

The new Purex sheets get my vote for best new travel invention of the year - they are great! No liquids that could leak in your luggage or powder that could spill or get you questioned by security. It looks like a thick dryer sheet - toss it in the wash and the soap comes off the sheet. Then just transfer to the dryer for fabric softener.

I've started tossing a ziploc with a few of these sheets in my suitcase whenever we travel and might need to wash clothes.

the purex sheets were awesome. I just sent my kid to a summer studies program for 3 weeks. I packed a few in a ziploc bag, and there were no worries about leaking or measuring. They are lightweight, and though we did not fly, there would be no problems since they are not liquid. He said they were really easy to use.

I know it's a retarded question. The last time I did laundry onboard was years ago. I forget if it's powder or liquid. Could someone tell me?

Whatever you do, don't take liquid soap in your baggage on an airplane. I did that a few years ago, made sure the lid was tight, AND put the container in a ziploc baggie, just in case it leaked. Well, it was all over my suitcase when we got to our hotel that night, everything was all soapy! What a mess! The sheets or tablets for me from then on!

I agree with the earlier poster, take the purex sheets. They wash and act as a softner for clothes. I used to take small boxes of tide and dryer sheets but fortunately I took them in a baggie because the tide box was smashed and the powder leaked on one trip. It would have been a mess in my suitcase. I found a pack of 3 individual wash tide boxes-laundermat size, packaged together at a dollar store once so I bought a lot of them for cruises. I'm out of them now so I will bring the purex sheets next time. If you have a favorite detergent you could find it in a laundermat's vending machine probally.

If you go to the Purex website you can request a sample pack of 2 be sent to you. That's what I did and they arrived in less than 2 weeks after I ordered them. I plan on taking them with us on our MR cruise is August. I have heard many good things about these sheets.

Here is the link to the free 2 pack sample

http://www.trypurex.com/Purex_3-in-1_Free_Sample/

A note to all the Purex sheet triers out there... the two main scents have a pretty strong perfume. Almost up there with Gain now. Much stronger than the Purex of old. If that's your sorta thing, you'll love them.

If you're in a light to unscented house like me, the trial sheets a no-go. They come in the "Spring Oasis" scent. I tried them and we had to re-wash the clothes twice to get the perfume down to something that was acceptable to my allergies.

The lightest scent is called "Pure & Clean". You'll have to hunt for those in stores. Around me, Target was the only place I found them. They don't make an truly "unscented" product in the sheets yet. We're still hoping!

In addition to the 2 pack free trial, you can print a $1 coupon on their website: http://www.purex.com/purex-3-in-1

- IT Geek

An IT guy w/ a laundry fetish. Watch out world! And yes, I have a high tech front loading washer at home... so I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than emergency laundry on-board. :D I proudly lay claim to having the whitest whites in our subdivision. (And no, there's no chlorine bleach in the laundry room.)

For those interested, here's a local news report on them:

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/deal_or_dud/102109_Purex_Complete_3_In_1

They're not perfect but great for cruise laundry. Ok for home laundry but nothing to rave over.

PS... skip the starter kit. You don't need that fancy plastic box. The refill softpacks are just fine on their own. There's nothing to leak or spill.

- IT Geek

Archived