Storing the car seat on board

traveler1980

Hello,

I think we are going to have to bring our car seat on our upcoming cruise with a 15 month old. It is rather large (Britax Marathon.) Any advice on where to store it on the ship? I assume we will have to keep it in our room. Will it just have to sit on the couch the whole time as it won't fit anywhere else?

we have britax marathon but have never taken it on the cruiseship-- prefer to travel w/ Cosco Scenara carseats with the twins since they are lighter weight. Have always just stored them in the closet-- you should hopefully have enough space to store it somewhere in the closet-- we also travel w/ luggage that can store inside each other. If they cant go one inside the other they dont come with us since space is valuable for us

The few times I took our car seat (which by the way for the previous poster I used mine for the flight from home to the cruise port. DD at age 2-3 was not going to fly without her seat. It's much easier to contain her and keep her happy in her car seat. She could escape from the belted seat plus there is the safety factor) I have stored mine (Britax Round-a-bout) in the closet. I've also had the cabin steward store it in a storage closet. :) Make sure you take a small stroller that folds up nicely to store under the bed. :)

We have always found room in the bottom of the closets. They are pretty deep and we don't mind if some of our dressier clothes hang down on top of the seat.

To answer the other poster about the need for a car seat, we also use ours for transportation to and from the airport. Also we have rented cars at ports so we use it there too. We know that car seats save lives, so even if we are on vacation we use them when we can.

We have always found room in the bottom of the closets. They are pretty deep and we don't mind if some of our dressier clothes hang down on top of the seat.

To answer the other poster about the need for a car seat, we also use ours for transportation to and from the airport. Also we have rented cars at ports so we use it there too. We know that car seats save lives, so even if we are on vacation we use them when we can.

Yes, I understand but I thought the carseat was for use in a cab during shore excursions. Some of the cabs in the countries we have visited don't even have seat belts.

We just plan on renting cars to and from the airport. Most rental companies will rent childrens' car seats as well for a small fee. It's definitely worth not having to lug one around! We have a Britax Boulevard and it's a beast, and I'm definitely not buying another carseat just for travel.

Agreed that they are useless in port anyway.

Yes, I understand but I thought the carseat was for use in a cab during shore excursions. Some of the cabs in the countries we have visited don't even have seat belts.

If this was the case for our family-- we wouldn't take the taxi. Different opinions & different choices for each of us

Please don't ever use a car seat from a rental car company. They're often in bad shape and could even be dangerous for your child. Not worth the risk! Experience speaking...

I simply asked to have it stowed on board. I picked it up with the luggage. Obviously we didn't need it for excursions. It was a Med cruise and the few times she got off the ship, we were walking.

If this was the case for our family-- we wouldn't take the taxi. Different opinions & different choices for each of us

Yes, I understand. I have been on cruises with my grandchildren and this is always a problem. In fact we took a ship sponsered excursion that included transportation in a bus which had no seatbelts.

Archived