Film Question

Belinda45

It's been quite a while since I've flown and I've never been on a cruise so my question has to do with film. I'm planning to take extra film with me since it's cheaper to buy it at home. However, I'm concerned about the x-ray machines - what is the best way to take undeveloped film with you - carry on or pack in checked luggage? The same would apply on film used during the cruise.

I would hate to take these once in a lifetime pictures and find out the film was wiped out through security and x-ray machines.

Thanks for your advice!

I'm concerned about the x-ray machines - what is the best way to take undeveloped film with you - carry on or pack in checked luggage?
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put undeveloped film in checked baggage - that's the fastest way of ruining them.

On the other hand, most modern X-ray machines used for screening cabin baggage will deliver a dose which is the equivalent of the dose you'd get from a few hours' flying - ie virtually none. When they say that they're safe, they're safe. The only exceptions are if you're using high speed film, or you're planning to put the film through dozens of machines. (Don't forget though that many ships now X-ray all bags brought on board at every port, so if you keep taking an individual roll of film off the ship and on again repeatedly, you might give it quite a few doses.)

If you're still nervous about it, you could go to a photo shop and buy a lead-lined film carrying bag. That will reduce the X-ray dose given to the film even more - but it shouldn't really be necessary for ordinary consumer film.

I think that the TSA has some guidelines for hand-inspecting film on request, but reports suggest that the usual TSA rules seem to apply to these - ie "we'll do just what we **** well like". (Personally, I'm glad that I'm still able to keep my contact with the TSA to a minimum!)

Yes, everyone's correct about carrying your film with you. This is because the xrays used for your checked baggage are quite powerful. I'm not sure stowing away in luggage is a good idea anymore! Here's a good article on the topic by Popular Photography magazine. They show what happens to your film if left in checked baggage.

By the way, the article also says digital media is not effected.

http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=848

Good shooting,

All good information. Here's one more tip you could try if you're so inclined:

Take all your new film out of it's cardboard packages and keep each roll in it's plastic container. If you purchased Fuji film, you'll have clear containers. That's what you want. If you don't have Fuji film, go to any photo processing lab and ask them for some. They will give you all you want for free. (I know because I used to manage a camera store.) Now put all your film in the clear plastic containers and then into a clear zip lock kitchen bag. The idea is to make it as easy for the airport people as possible. Then when you get to the security check at the airport, ask the agent to please hand check your film. If they give you a hard time and insist that the xray won't harm your film, send it through and don't worry about it. As was indicated before, it's the cumulative effect that causes the problem and then only really a concern with the films of 800 speed or higher. Also remember the x-rays can still do damage after the pictures are taken, up to the point when the film is processed.

All in all, it's not a big concern. Don't let it ruin your trip.

Also remember that those duisposable cameras mostly have 800 speed film. We had two on our Christmas cruise and the TSA always oblidged and hand checked them. They mostly rane the explosives swab thing on them. For a new one still in the box I had to open the foil package for them.smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies!

I certainly didn't realize 800 speed film would be so delicate. I have purchased some film for the trip and it is 800 speed as well as a disposable underwater camera (have to prove I really went snorkeling!:) ). Really glad to know to take extra precaution with these.

Thanks again!

Archived