On line check-in

highland2

How soon do you do on line check-in? Is there an advantage to doing it early or waiting until closer to your cruise? Thanks for all the info I gain on CC.

No particular reason to do it early for me except that it makes me feel like I am really going on the cruise. I enter into full cruise mode as I do it.

I do it in stages. I put in my passport numbers and contact information fairly early when I am in the mood. I don't put in a credit card number to use on board until a few weeks before the cruise for two reasons. First, I decide late which card I am going to use. Second, I have read on other posts that HAL puts a hold for a certain amount of money once they have that data. I don't want to tie that up on my card very early. The only real important thing is to complete it at least 3 days prior to the cruise, as after that, you have to do it at the dock. You can't get your cruise docs until all fees have been paid, no sooner than about 60 days before the cruise.

Second, I have read on other posts that HAL puts a hold for a certain amount of money once they have that data. I don't want to tie that up on my card very early.
The hold isn't put on until you board or shortly after. It isn't done "once they have the data". This isn't an issue.

The hold isn't put on until you board or shortly after. It isn't done "once they have the data". This isn't an issue.

Yes, the HAL website warns about the hold and says it doesn't happen until the cruise starts, not when you give them the info. I think the per diem amount is high compared to our actual spending, especially since we buy tours in advance, not on board. I don't think any other line we've sailed with does this. I guess HAL got stiffed in the past when people went over the card limit.

I fill out the check-in info as early as I can just to to get it done. In some way, it makes the trip seem more "real," probably because it used to be something we couldn't do until closer to the departure. Now you can do it any time after making the booking.

I don't see any advantage to doing it early ... but I do, because it makes me feel more committed to going.

First, I decide late which card I am going to use.
You can easily change your mind later, and edit it.
Second, I have read on other posts that HAL puts a hold for a certain amount of money once they have that data.
Not true, as others said.
You can't get your cruise docs until all fees have been paid, no sooner than about 60 days before the cruise.
Do you mean final payment? That is usually 75 days out, further out for long cruises. In any case, you can't print your cruise docs until about 50 days out.

Archived