LeHavre to Paris suggestions

grandma candy

We will be docking in LeHavre in Sept. on RCCL Vision of the Seas. 1st time and we would prefer to see Paris - any suggestions on the best way to visit.

We have booked private tour for 2 in other ports so this is not a problem if anyone has done this before - or are the tours on ship better to do.

I understand it takes approx. little over 2 hrs. travel each way.

We are more of the picture takers and sight seeing couple - not so much museums. Any suggestions on "must see's".

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

What time are you docking and by when do you need to leave to be back on board?

If I were doing this, I would probably take one of the Hop on Hop off tours. You can find out about them and book them through Viator.com. You could email them or talk to customer care about where you arrive in Paris and how to get to the route you prefer. We really liked the one that went to the Eiffel Tower.

I was told by the future cruise consultant on the Ruby Princess that it is two and a half hours by train from Le Havre to Paris. Between transfers to train stations or even private tours, you have to leave six hours for travel. Her advice to me is that if we really wanted to see Paris on the British Isles itinerary that we should fly into Paris and spend a couple of days and then get our own transportation from Paris to Southampton. I guess that I am not a big fan of cruise lines referring to Le Havre as "Paris" at 127 miles distance. This trip for us is four years away. But we will start the vacation in Paris (hotel) and end it in London (hotel). I just can't justify six hours of travel for a two to three hour tour.

The Princess itinerary, other than Le Havre, looks great and we'll find another way to see and experience Paris.

I was told by the future cruise consultant on the Ruby Princess that it is two and a half hours by train from Le Havre to Paris. Between transfers to train stations or even private tours, you have to leave six hours for travel. Her advice to me is that if we really wanted to see Paris on the British Isles itinerary that we should fly into Paris and spend a couple of days and then get our own transportation from Paris to Southampton. I guess that I am not a big fan of cruise lines referring to Le Havre as "Paris" at 127 miles distance. This trip for us is four years away. But we will start the vacation in Paris (hotel) and end it in London (hotel). I just can't justify six hours of travel for a two to three hour tour.

The Princess itinerary, other than Le Havre, looks great and we'll find another way to see and experience Paris.

I agree: I had thought most stops at Le Havre don't allow enough time to see Paris other than to scratch the surface. With just 2-3 hours you would not have time to complete the Hop on Hop off bus tour and return to the station in time.

I have heard of some passengers disembarking at Le Havre if that is the last port before Southhampton and then spending a few days in Paris. To do that you have to make prior arrangements through the ship. The other option would be to go on to Southampton (assuming you are going in that direction) and travel from there to Paris.

I really wanted to see Paris too, so this year on our way to our Danube Cruise we stopped in London and took the Eurostar to Paris, then flew on to Budapest.

But if you really want to see Paris even for a short while this time, I think the shore excursion would be best. That way you won't miss the ship.

We will be docking in LeHavre in Sept. on RCCL Vision of the Seas. 1st time and we would prefer to see Paris - any suggestions on the best way to visit.

We have booked private tour for 2 in other ports so this is not a problem if anyone has done this before - or are the tours on ship better to do.

I understand it takes approx. little over 2 hrs. travel each way.

We are more of the picture takers and sight seeing couple - not so much museums. Any suggestions on "must see's".

Thanks for any help!

We are also on this cruise and have opted to take the ships tour Paris on your own as transport is to Eiffel tower and you then have 5 hrs to see what you want.We feel safer with this option because of the distance between port and Paris and you are dropped in middle of tourist zone.We have stopped here on a bus tour before but wanted to see more.We are planning on using the metro to go from place to place as it was easy to use and a 1 day pass is 5 Euro. As this is your first time a hop on hop off bus would give you a good over view,you may be restricted to how often you could get off and see things that interest you.Come and join our roll call as there are several of us on there doing this. Good luck with you planning reading travel guides can give you ideas as to what interests you.

Debbie and Pat

I have heard of some passengers disembarking at Le Havre if that is the last port before Southhampton and then spending a few days in Paris. To do that you have to make prior arrangements through the ship. The other option would be to go on to Southampton (assuming you are going in that direction) and travel from there to Paris.

That is a great idea and I would have never thought of it. The Princess British Isles itinerary has Le Havre as the final port before Southampton. It cuts down on a great deal of travel time and expense. Since that itinerary starts off in Southampton, London can be done at the beginning and Paris at the end. Thank you for the suggestion.

For what it's worth, not sure why this thread is in the Med forum.

If I were in Le Havre I would try for Rouen (one hour away by train) where the center of town in compact and beautiful and can be explored in 4 to 5 hours easily.

It is a beautiful town, with one of the greatest cathedrals in the world and home to St. Joanne D`Arc.

Travelling 5 hours to Paris (round trip) by train and taking the HOHO bus or walking or taking a ship tour to Paris I do not believe will really show you anything of what Paris is, just a glimpse.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!! France is a beautiful country.

This is a Rouen link

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.rouentourisme.com/&ei=bBRKTN63MIO78ga1jJk0&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CGYQ7gEwCw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drouen%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA%26prmd%3Dmi

That is a great idea and I would have never thought of it. The Princess British Isles itinerary has Le Havre as the final port before Southampton. It cuts down on a great deal of travel time and expense. Since that itinerary starts off in Southampton, London can be done at the beginning and Paris at the end. Thank you for the suggestion.

For what it's worth, not sure why this thread is in the Med forum.

I think it would be a good way to do it. There was a thread about what to do if you want to leave the ship early (regulations involved). You could do a Search for a thread about it or ask your travel agent or Royal Caribbean. I remember you have to give them advance notice.

I think it would be a good way to do it. There was a thread about what to do if you want to leave the ship early (regulations involved). You could do a Search for a thread about it or ask your travel agent or Royal Caribbean. I remember you have to give them advance notice.

Thanks. I was thinking of doing it on Princess. But we'll do it on whatever line will work with us. I am pretty much indifferent to Princess versus RCI. But I picked up Princess FCCs specifcally to do their British Isles cruise in 2013 or 2014. Between now and then, we have other cruises booked. But I am really looking forward to London/British Isles/Paris cruise and vacation.

Archived