Santa Marinella

screwcork

Hi,

After a cruise starting this week, we¨ll be going to Santa Marinella for 3 nights. We have rented a car to be picked up in Civitavecchia and are going to deliever it back at FCO Airport. Hopefully it would be possible to take the car to Rome for some sight-seeing there during our stay in Santa Marinella.

Questions:

How difficult would it be to find parking in Rome?

Anything else we should see around Santa Marinella?

Screwcork

I think you will be happier taking the train into Rome. Driving in Rome is no (sane) person's idea of fun and parking is expensive. The train would be easier, cheaper, and probably faster (even though most are locals). FYI, it is on the train line connecting Pisa to Rome (and Civitavecchia).

I am certainly no expert (having been there only once), but I can think of nothing special to do or see there. It is an old seaside resort (old: it served the same purpose during the Roman Republic) and that seems to be its sole purpose.:)

Questions:

How difficult would it be to find parking in Rome?

We haven't driven in Rome (and never will) ... but seeing how people park is quite entertaining. This photo is typical.

Of more help, here's an article which talks about parking options (or lack of them).

I have driven in Rome, and pretty much know my way around, but unless you know the city well and/or will be driving in on a Sunday, when the ZTL zones are not in effect, you are risking an expensive ticket that will catch up with you.

There are parking lots at some of the suburban train and metro stops, but they fill up with regular commuters.

One option, if you really want/need to drive in, would be to park at one of the hotels outside the ZTL area and take a cab or public transit the rest of the way into the historic district.

For when you are ready to return to the airport, there are excellent instructions here (http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/car_rental_rome.htm) - scroll down to the bottom of the page for returning cars at FCO info. The signage at the airport isn't great, and having these in hand is helpful.

Thank you for all useful information as to (no) parking in Rome!

I see the challenge, but with a GPS and some patience I still believe I can do it! (30€ for parking 25 hours is cheaper than Oslo!)

Screwcork

Archived