Fried Clams with bellies in Halifax, or Sydney

Does anybody know of a restaurant where I can get whole fried clams (in Boston we called them Ipswich clams)? My ports of call will be Newport RI, Sydney, Halifax and Quebec...and if they are available in all the ports then I will get them in all the ports. LOL

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)

You can definitely get them whole in Halifax. Stayners Wharf or Salty's both have them for sure. As you walk along the boardwalk from the cruise pier there are numerous restaurants and a few fish & chip trucks you can check out as well, they may be a better price.

Along the Waterfront in Halifax (just behind the Museum of the Atlantic), there is a new take out called Battered Fish. There clams are not bad, I found the fish in the fish and chips a bit greasy but very fresh. Good scallops too. Chips are excellent. If you go to Dartmouth (the city across the Harbour - best fried clams are at Wharf Wraps in Eastern Passage. This is a great side trip on a fine day with a beach boardwalk and quaint shops. Along the way to Eastern Passage is a place called John's Lunch on Pleasant Street which locals swear they find the best seafood. I don't agree they are the best, but they are very good. They only take cash - no credit or debit. Hope this helps.

Along the Waterfront in Halifax (just behind the Museum of the Atlantic), there is a new take out called Battered Fish. There clams are not bad, I found the fish in the fish and chips a bit greasy but very fresh. Good scallops too. Chips are excellent. If you go to Dartmouth (the city across the Harbour - best fried clams are at Wharf Wraps in Eastern Passage. This is a great side trip on a fine day with a beach boardwalk and quaint shops. Along the way to Eastern Passage is a place called John's Lunch on Pleasant Street which locals swear they find the best seafood. I don't agree they are the best, but they are very good. They only take cash - no credit or debit. Hope this helps.

My mouth is watering reading about all the fresh seafood! Thank you for all the information....especially knowing some places take cash only, I can't even imagine being so close and only having my credit card with me. :)

Every time we've visited Halifax we've had lunch at Stayner's Wharf. I love their fried clams and they have Keith's on tap - what can be better?:D

I couldn't agree more! I see you too are from upstate NY....I don't understand how we can be so close to New England and have it so hard to find good seafood up here. :)

I couldn't agree more! I see you too are from upstate NY....I don't understand how we can be so close to New England and have it so hard to find good seafood up here. :)
LOL - Our local newspaper just ran an article about all the blue claw crabs that are currently being caught in the Hudson. I think I need to get out my crab trap and head down to the river....:D

Archived