4168 on Nieuw Amsterdam

jerseygirl3

I understand this cabin has a double sized balcony, but a shower only. Does anybody know if the shower takes up the same amount of space in the bathroom as the tub would? Or is it a regular small sized shower and the extra space is in the bathroom itself?

Thanks!

I understand this cabin has a double sized balcony, but a shower only. Does anybody know if the shower takes up the same amount of space in the bathroom as the tub would? Or is it a regular small sized shower and the extra space is in the bathroom itself?

Thanks!

Your veranda is 7.5 x 9.0 feet as are the rest of the VD's in this area of the ship. Some staterooms are 4.5 x 9.0 in the VF/VH classes. VC/B/A's are usually 6.0 x 9.0.

Regarding the shower on the Vista/Signature class ships the shower only staterooms have a larger shower, the rest of the bath and cabin are normal size.

Your veranda is 7.5 x 9.0 feet as are the rest of the VD's in this area of the ship. Some staterooms are 4.5 x 9.0 in the VF/VH classes. VC/B/A's are usually 6.0 x 9.0.

Regarding the shower on the Vista/Signature class ships the shower only staterooms have a larger shower, the rest of the bath and cabin are normal size.

The OP is correct: the balconies of 4166 and 4168 are each 7.5 ft x 18 ft because they split that space between them, next to the crew stairs.

The OP is correct: the balconies of 4166 and 4168 are each 7.5 ft x 18 ft because they split that space between them, next to the crew stairs.

So the deck plan is wrong then :) Always good to be on CC to find out these things!

So the deck plan is wrong then :) Always good to be on CC to find out these things!

If you want to see pics of the 18 ft wide balconies (on the Noordam), see post #5 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14068757

Here's another place where the Eurodam and N.A. deck plans are significantly wrong: 4053, 4054, 4129, and 4130 have balconies that are about 14 ft deep, as they extend all the way out past the lifeboat. The railing is actually in line with all the VD's. (The railings of 4051, 4052, 4131, and 4134 do not angle in.)

OP: I suggest you email RustaRoo (Richard) at cruisingcanuck @ shaw.ca to ask him about the bathroom shower.

Thanks!

Can't speak for the Nieuw Amsterdam, but if the setup of these cabins is like the Eurodam, here is what I know from experience.

We were in 4168 on the Eurodam last January. We've also been on a previous cruise in 4166 on the Eurodam with the bath/shower combo. 4168's shower is smaller than the space taken by the bath/shower combo (approx 2'x4') of 4166. Given the choice though, we actually prefer the shower only option .. but that's just us.:)

Can't speak for the Nieuw Amsterdam, but if the setup of these cabins is like the Eurodam, here is what I know from experience.

We were in 4168 on the Eurodam last January. We've also been on a previous cruise in 4166 on the Eurodam with the bath/shower combo. 4168's shower is smaller than the space taken by the bath/shower combo (approx 2'x4') of 4166. Given the choice though, we actually prefer the shower only option .. but that's just us.:)

So if the shower is smaller, is there more space in the bathroom itself since there is no tub?

Jo-Ann

So if the shower is smaller, is there more space in the bathroom itself since there is no tub?

Jo-Ann

No, the bathroom in 4168 was not bigger. It had about the same floor space as the cabin with a tub/shower combo. So overall it's actually smaller. I'm guessing that they are using the space taken by part of the tub for maybe internal cables, vents, pipes, etc ... I'm really not sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Family members have 4166 and 4168 for a January cruise on NA. I'll check them out and take pics for the CC'ers. I did ask HAL and they said that YES these do have wider balconies. I believe this is due to the crew emergency staircase between them. We wanted to book one but they are double occupancy and our DD makes 3. I plan to hijack their combined 36 foot wide balcony for sailaways! If anyone sails in either cabin between now & then please let us know how they are.

Here's another place where the Eurodam and N.A. deck plans are significantly wrong: 4053, 4054, 4129, and 4130 have balconies that are about 14 ft deep, as they extend all the way out past the lifeboat. The railing is actually in line with all the VD's. (The railings of 4051, 4052, 4131, and 4134 do not angle in.)

I'm looking at the 2010-2011 HAL Americas brochure, and the deck plan for EURODAM and NIEUW AMSTERDAM does show the huge balcony for the cabins you listed. In fact they are graded as VA's because of the large balconies. I think one thing to keep in mind if you are booking one of these special cabins with the large balcony, is the balcony appears to be exposed to all the decks above. This would leave little privacy as everyone will be looking down on you.

Ernie

If you want to see pics of the 18 ft wide balconies (on the Noordam), see post #5 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14068757

OP: I suggest you email RustaRoo (Richard) at cruisingcanuck @ shaw.ca to ask him about the bathroom shower.

I noticed that 4133 wasn't mentioned. We are in that cabin - does it have a large veranda? When we were on the Zaandam last year we had a chair, small table and chaise loungue on our deck - room 7040. 4133 only shows 2 chairs and a small table. Thanks for any help.:)

Archived