CCL now offers a new cruise rate

In addition to the past guest, resident rates, ES and so on I now see an OBC rate listed on many websites. Just checked a few cruises and as I suspected the old CCL bait and switch so to speak is in play.

Every cruise I checked the "OBC" rate was exactly equal to the other particular best rate for that specific cruise. Pay $339 PP using past guest and the OBC promo rate is $449 with $50 OBC PP.

They must think their customers are real idiots with this new scheme. After all how much does it actually cost CCL to give $50 OBC to someone? My guess is around $25 or less depending on what the customer uses the OBC for.

Those bean counters and this new system is a joke.

Heck, I'm just waiting for our price to lower.. We cruise in September and it hasn't dropped not one cent!
I bet that the rates are going up as it gets closer to your sailing date. That is what happened to me this year on the Paradise. I booked a year in advance and the price never went down, only up.

. . . Just checked a few cruises and as I suspected the old CCL bait and switch so to speak is in play . . .

So couldn't/shouldn't CCL just go ahead and effectively refer to all these new marketing promotions as BS Rates?? :) :)

Maybe they do think their customers are dopes.

Seriously? I'm sure they do. Everytime CCL rolls out some new cost cutting/money making scheme, CCL fans line up to bend over for them. It seems no matter what, fans are OK with it. If customers are just going to go along with anything, CCL has no reason not to think we're dopes.

I like CCL, all of my cruises have been with them and I have another this Sept. They certainly provide value for dollar. However, when you are already the most, shall we say, "casual" of the mass market cruiselines, and you continue to become more casual every year, when there is very little of the old time charm and class of cruising left, when amenities and perks are constantly disappearing, when your platinum status is just sad compared to other cruiselines, when customer service is often a joke, what's the point?

In the few years I have been cruising, I've watched quite a few of the things I love about cruising disappear or be cut to the bone or changed for the worse. The constant changing of prices, one minute they're up, the next they're down. The way YOU(the consumer) have to watch ES, God forbid CCL actually just do the right thing and give you the price. No, you have to jump through hoops and then YOU have to show THEM proof of the price THEY posted. And look! Here's 50.00 OBC because you're too stupid to realize we raised the price by 50.00 in the first place.:rolleyes: Many folks are content to just suck up whatever is thrown at them. I'm not. The only way to have my voice be heard is in a comment card or by taking my money elsewhere.

I love cruising, really. There's nothing like it. But the bottom line is I can take a week long vacation at an AI with EVERYTHING included for under 800.00. I have friends who have been doing it twice a year for years and have never paid more than that for 4 star resorts and above. I may join them next year. I won't be on a ship, but I'll be on a beautiful vacation all the same.

Maybe some will look at it as a forced savings account. Money all ready there to spend. Some people might look at it as the tips will be taken care off all most. You never know what people think. Be interesting to see if many book at that rate.

Maybe some will look at it as a forced savings account. Money all ready there to spend. Some people might look at it as the tips will be taken care off all most. You never know what people think. Be interesting to see if many book at that rate.

I was going to say the same thing. All else being equal, if you were planning on buying FSD's or drink coupons or what not, why not pay a little extra now and have the credit waiting for you. I wouldn't do it, but somebody might.

Haven't you noticed something similar in grocery stores? A quart of half and half is $1.48 but a half gallon is $3.58? A 12 pack of Coke is $3.78 but a case is $7.96? I guess it must be human nature not to actually check the difference between the two??? I noticed this some time ago when Carnival started that new "OBC rate" and saw that the price was the same. It makes zero sense to me.

Haven't you noticed something similar in grocery stores? A quart of half and half is $1.48 but a half gallon is $3.58? A 12 pack of Coke is $3.78 but a case is $7.96? I guess it must be human nature not to actually check the difference between the two??? I noticed this some time ago when Carnival started that new "OBC rate" and saw that the price was the same. It makes zero sense to me.

It makes perfect sense, and it's for the exact same reason the grocery store does it in your example. To intentionally confuse. How about those $1000 cash back car deals? Come on.. There is no free lunch. You're not gonna get a rock bottom price on a Toyota and get $1000 back. You may get a rock bottom price + $1001, and then get $1000 back, but they're still making the profit. Advertising and Marketing 101..

Seriously? I'm sure they do. Everytime CCL rolls out some new cost cutting/money making scheme, CCL fans line up to bend over for them. It seems no matter what, fans are OK with it. If customers are just going to go along with anything, CCL has no reason not to think we're dopes.

I like CCL, all of my cruises have been with them and I have another this Sept. They certainly provide value for dollar. However, when you are already the most, shall we say, "casual" of the mass market cruiselines, and you continue to become more casual every year, when there is very little of the old time charm and class of cruising left, when amenities and perks are constantly disappearing, when your platinum status is just sad compared to other cruiselines, when customer service is often a joke, what's the point?

In the few years I have been cruising, I've watched quite a few of the things I love about cruising disappear or be cut to the bone or changed for the worse. The constant changing of prices, one minute they're up, the next they're down. The way YOU(the consumer) have to watch ES, God forbid CCL actually just do the right thing and give you the price. No, you have to jump through hoops and then YOU have to show THEM proof of the price THEY posted. And look! Here's 50.00 OBC because you're too stupid to realize we raised the price by 50.00 in the first place.:rolleyes: Many folks are content to just suck up whatever is thrown at them. I'm not. The only way to have my voice be heard is in a comment card or by taking my money elsewhere.

Very well put, Nancy. My sentiments exactly. For the FIRST TIME in my cruising life, I'm looking at other lines and getting quotes from other lines.:(

I'm looking at other lines and getting quotes from other lines.

I wish you luck Gary. I suspect you'll have to price premium lines, as reading these boards has led me to believe that the mass market lines are all much the same. Sadly, the premium lines are more than I'm willing to pay for a vacation.

same as with anything. look at orbitz, travelocity.. "we'll get you the best rates, blah blah" umm.. sometimes.. but if you look at that hotels website directly, you may get the same rate.. or better if you have certain discounts. theres usually a drop down menu, most will let it sit at Best Available Rate.. umm, yep that is.. BEFORE discounts as in AAA AARP etc. so for one not to research, you may pay more.. or if availability is low, they'll lower it, or visa versa.

everything is supply and demand, hotels, airlines, trains, buses.. from one day to the next.. is it frustrating? yep.. but you know what.. you gotta deal with it, or not.. up to you.. why get yourself overly stressed about it.. it's not one company's things, its everyones.. as the saying goes.. don't like it.. go elsewhere if you can.. chill out some you know ;-)

After reading this thread I looked at ccl website & noticed this 1-2-3 option w/OBC plus upgrades. I have cat E.

This is for the Spirit in Feb.2011. Have already had 2 price drops (past guest rate) my last one on 7/6.

Called my pvp & had another $40 drop (same cat) plus $160 OBC.

So I went to book the Triumph out of NOLA for Monday, I put in NO past guest and NO other discounts and this is what comes up:

Select your rate:Choose Your RoomOn Board CreditUpgrades

Fun Select from $579.00*

Choose your stateroom number (exact location).

Fun Saver from $549.00*

You pick stateroom type and we pick your location.

1-2-3 Go! from $579.00*

Cash Back, Free Upgrades and Great Rates

The 1-2-3 rate gives you an $80.00 onboard credit.

So in this case - doesnt it pay to get that rate??

same as with anything. look at orbitz, travelocity.. "we'll get you the best rates, blah blah" umm.. sometimes.. but if you look at that hotels website directly, you may get the same rate.. or better if you have certain discounts. theres usually a drop down menu, most will let it sit at Best Available Rate.. umm, yep that is.. BEFORE discounts as in AAA AARP etc. so for one not to research, you may pay more.. or if availability is low, they'll lower it, or visa versa.

everything is supply and demand, hotels, airlines, trains, buses.. from one day to the next.. is it frustrating? yep.. but you know what.. you gotta deal with it, or not.. up to you.. why get yourself overly stressed about it.. it's not one company's things, its everyones.. as the saying goes.. don't like it.. go elsewhere if you can.. chill out some you know ;-)

Yep bunch of smoke and mirrors. I confess they suckered me in. I booked air and the price went down so I emailed them.

You only get a refund of the difference if somebody else books the cheaper flight through them.

Ans how am I supposed to know if somebody else did. Oh yeah, trust me. (wink wink)

Bill

So I went to book the Triumph out of NOLA for Monday, I put in NO past guest and NO other discounts and this is what comes up:

Select your rate:Choose Your RoomOn Board CreditUpgrades

Fun Select from $579.00*

Choose your stateroom number (exact location).

Fun Saver from $549.00*

You pick stateroom type and we pick your location.

1-2-3 Go! from $579.00*

Cash Back, Free Upgrades and Great Rates

The 1-2-3 rate gives you an $80.00 onboard credit.

So in this case - doesnt it pay to get that rate??

Of course it pays and it makes sense. The 1-2-3 Go! rate is available to people who are past the deadline for Early Saver and do not qualify any other promotion such as Past Guest, Military, Senior, State Resident, Interline, etc.

The rates are the same as Funselect which is not a discount fare. Funselect Rates were not artificially "jacked up" to cover the $40 or $80 OBC.

If you qualify for one of the above promotions then that's the way to go. However, many people who book a Carnival cruise for the 1st time do not qualify so the 1-2-3 Go! is a very fair rate.

I am consistently surprised by those that think that Carnival is the only cruise line or that the cruise industry is the only one that handles their rates like this.

Go take a look at any major hotel chain and you will find a variety of rates. Go look at that same hotel 2, 3, 4 months or even weeks later and you will find that in alot of cases the rate will change.

I work for a major resort and rates are based on availablity at the time you book the room. Simply put, the rate will raise and be lowered as people book, cancel and change their reservations. And no, we do not call the guest and tell them that they can get a lower rate if they cancel and rebook. In fact, in some cases, if the arrival date is within a certain period of time, there is a fee for canceling or changing a reservation. Hmmm sounds familiar doesn't it.

While it would be great if when there is a lower rate available, a resort, hotel, cruise line or any other service/goods provider would call and let you know, it is not going to happen. Even if one puts aside the cost of making such calls, and I am talking about more then just the "price" of a phone call, there is also the cost of the employee, the software programming to alert the business that someone has paid a higher rate, the paper to run such a report and so on.

A lower rate after booking is the chance you take when you book, however, Carnival does give you an opportunity, in most cases, of getting the lower rate or OBC. I wonder what people would think if Carnival said ok, we are giving you the lower rate because the rate did drop, but now the rate is higher and so we are going to charge you the higher rate?

Basically, do some research, look for the best rate and be happy with it. If the rate does go lower, then take responsibility for your vacation and get a price reduction or the OBC. If the rate goes higher, be glad you booked when you did.

I am consistently surprised by those that think that Carnival is the only cruise line or that the cruise industry is the only one that handles their rates like this.

Go take a look at any major hotel chain and you will find a variety of rates. Go look at that same hotel 2, 3, 4 months or even weeks later and you will find that in alot of cases the rate will change.

I work for a major resort and rates are based on availablity at the time you book the room. Simply put, the rate will raise and be lowered as people book, cancel and change their reservations. And no, we do not call the guest and tell them that they can get a lower rate if they cancel and rebook. In fact, in some cases, if the arrival date is within a certain period of time, there is a fee for canceling or changing a reservation. Hmmm sounds familiar doesn't it.

While it would be great if when there is a lower rate available, a resort, hotel, cruise line or any other service/goods provider would call and let you know, it is not going to happen. Even if one puts aside the cost of making such calls, and I am talking about more then just the "price" of a phone call, there is also the cost of the employee, the software programming to alert the business that someone has paid a higher rate, the paper to run such a report and so on.

A lower rate after booking is the chance you take when you book, however, Carnival does give you an opportunity, in most cases, of getting the lower rate or OBC. I wonder what people would think if Carnival said ok, we are giving you the lower rate because the rate did drop, but now the rate is higher and so we are going to charge you the higher rate?

Basically, do some research, look for the best rate and be happy with it. If the rate does go lower, then take responsibility for your vacation and get a price reduction or the OBC. If the rate goes higher, be glad you booked when you did.

Two thumbs up :)

Ya just have to be a smart shopper.

Yep bunch of smoke and mirrors. I confess they suckered me in. I booked air and the price went down so I emailed them.

You only get a refund of the difference if somebody else books the cheaper flight through them.

Ans how am I supposed to know if somebody else did. Oh yeah, trust me. (wink wink)

Bill

(it should say "forfeit pre-paid hotel," not "forfeit airfare" below. Apologies!)

We now go out of our way to avoid booking with the big online travel agencies for important/long-hual travel after a problem we had with one of them earlier this year. Their rate from Orlando -Honolulu was $200/person less than all other sites. Odd itinerary -United to Portland connecting to Delta to Honolulu, but they're reputable carriers, and the price was right.

Two months later, Delta cancelled their flight to Honolulu on our day of travel, and the agency left us high and dry. They gave us the option to fly later in the week (miss the beg of our vacation and forfeit our airfare), pay the now much higher rate to fly Delta all the way through, or cancel. We were floored and repeatedly stated that they'd sold us an itinerary and now would only honor our original day of travel if we paid more? That's blackmail.

We cancelled and bought directly from American Airlines at a higher price...and thankfully have had no flight changes. I agree that the "good fares" of the big online agents are a charade.

Archived