Question about lifeboats...

Aknot

When looking at this picture that someone else linked in a thread there appears to be approx 30 life boats on the Dream.

It holds 3646 passengers not including (or does it?) crew. That is at least 100 people per lifeboat.

While I suck at math I dont think there are enough spots on the boats... or are there other boats to include inflatables etc?

Im not worried or anything it was just it caught my eye and I decided to count.

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/989877/Ship+Photo+Carnival+Dream.JPG

There's actually 60 life boats with a capacity of 150 per boat.

Here's the breakdown of emergency devices:

Life Saving Appliances occupancy each total occupancy

2 - emergency rescue boats 60 120

1 - tender boat 117 117

23 - motor lifeboats 150 3450

64 - davit launched life rafts 35 2240

5 - davit launched life rafts 25 125

Grand total lifesaving capacity: 6052

Thanks Mach.

Is it safe to assume the lifeboats on the side have another lifeboat behind the one we can see?

No. In these pictures you can see the lifeboats with a 150 passenger capacity:

Dream012.jpg

Dream020.jpg

I screwed up a bit saying that there were 60 life boats. There's actually 23 life boats with at capacity of 150, 2 emergency rescue boats with a capacity of 60 each and one tender with a capacity of 117.

The rest of the life saving capacity comes on the form of life rafts that have a capacity of about 2400.

The Dream's standard 2 person per cabin capacity is 3646 so with a total life saving capacity of over 6000 I think we're safe...

:)

When looking at this picture that someone else linked in a thread there appears to be approx 30 life boats on the Dream.

It holds 3646 passengers not including (or does it?) crew. That is at least 100 people per lifeboat.

While I suck at math I dont think there are enough spots on the boats... or are there other boats to include inflatables etc?

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/989877/Ship+Photo+Carnival+Dream.JPG

Don't worry all of Carnival ships have more life boats that people on board nothing to fear.

Why are you looking at the Dream looking to book? You need to go on your first cruise to see if you like it before booking another one IMHO

There is only a single row. The life rafts are in canisters and there are lots of them. Personally, I prefer Cove Balconies on Carnival Dream and wouldn't hesitate to jump from the balcony - just have to make sure the lifeboat above was already gone or not in the process of coming down. They are lowered, not dropped, so no worries there.

A little off topic, but I've just been curious - do the lifeboats block the views out the windows in the public rooms on decks 3 and 4 behind them? I can't tell if the windows are behind the lifeboats or below them. I've always liked the promenades on the Carnival ships with the floor to ceiling windows down the length of them, more than even the royal promenades on the RC ships. (Although I really like the idea of the wrap-around outdoor promenade on the Dream). Thanks.

Looking at the pic you linked, it is hard to believe that each of those international orange topped lifeboats can hold 150 people [and crew] but they do. They are not meant as a comfortable yacht. Their purpose is to save lives.

The USCG requires that they be run on a regular basis, so you might get a chance to ride in one as a tender.

You're right. The capacity of those lifeboats is 150 or more. I wouldn't want to be in one of those boats, with 149 other people, but it sure would beat the alternative.

I've been in the larger lifeboats that are used as tenders, with only about 75 people, and it was really crowded. I can't imagine it with 150 pax, all wearing life jackets.

That is one positive outcome of the sinking of the Titanic. That ship actually had more lifeboats than it was required to have. The British Board of Trade rules simply said that any ship of more than 6,000 GRT had to have a certain number of boats. I forget the exact number, but Titanic had a couple more than the regs required. Unfortunately, she was 48,000 GRT and carried a correspondingly larger number of people. Today the law is much simpler: there must be a seat in a lifeboat for every butt onboard, passenger and crew alike.

Paul

On one of my first cruises, I was walking along the promenade deck, with the lifeboats hanging overhead. I noticed stainless steel pipes running the length of the boats. At first, I thought they were for cooling the inboard engines or something, but then I noticed that they weren't connected to anything.

After a while, I realized that they are handrails, in case the lifeboat capsizes. At least, you could hang on to the rail.

I found that to be a rather sobering thought.

On one of my first cruises, I was walking along the promenade deck, with the lifeboats hanging overhead. I noticed stainless steel pipes running the length of the boats. At first, I thought they were for cooling the inboard engines or something, but then I noticed that they weren't connected to anything.

After a while, I realized that they are handrails, in case the lifeboat capsizes. At least, you could hang on to the rail.

I found that to be a rather sobering thought.

There are more than enough lifeboat seats

for everyone,,,,,,,,IF,,,,,,,,, the procedures are followed and go smoothly. VERY unlikely.

Those handrails are for the people that did not get into a raft or lifeboat because things got screwed up.

So its capacity 150, plus hangers on!!!!:eek:

The rafts have ropes on the side for hanging on and a rope that hangs underwater that people can put [rest] their feet on.

Sort of a, Hope for the best, PLAN for the worst scenario.

One time when we were on the Ecstasy (actually fogged out of port) they were doing an inspection of the life boats, we snuck a peek inside, it was bigger inside then I would have thougt. Still dont want to ever take a ride in one, I know I would not like that (enclosed space issues).

DSC02686_686_036.jpg.994b5c1187a5cf667bab73180c8927e5.jpg

DSC02685_685_035.jpg.57d5caed923a6fb459cbe741c6ce8dfc.jpg

Actually, only the rich people on the upper decks are rescued along with women & children. The rest of us will be locked in on the lower floors, it's true, I saw it on T.V. (or was that a movie:confused:) :D

Actually, only the rich people on the upper decks are rescued along with women & children. The rest of us will be locked in on the lower floors, it's true, I saw it on T.V. (or was that a movie:confused:) :D

lol. Steerage.

i read/heard something that in the lifeboat there is food supply to last a couple of days..how fresh is that food that sits in storage on that boat, is that something they supply on when there indeed an problem?

i read/heard something that in the lifeboat there is food supply to last a couple of days..how fresh is that food that sits in storage on that boat, is that something they supply on when there indeed an problem?

Don't expect fresh fruit or Perrier, but it is checked for expiration date. Think along the lines of MREs. It is stocked. Designed to keep you alive, not to earn a Michelin rating.

I put far more faith in cruise ship life boats, than in any Fall Out shelter remaining in the U.S., stocked in the 60s and long ago was eaten by rats or rusted out.

I wouldn't worry about the food or water. It is sufficient.

Now about CNN or a private toilet? I dunno about those. Forget cruise ship mode, it is time for survival mode and being a team player.

There are more than enough lifeboat seats

for everyone,,,,,,,,IF,,,,,,,,, the procedures are followed and go smoothly. VERY unlikely.

Those handrails are for the people that did not get into a raft or lifeboat because things got screwed up.

So its capacity 150, plus hangers on!!!!:eek:

The rafts have ropes on the side for hanging on and a rope that hangs underwater that people can put [rest] their feet on.

Sort of a, Hope for the best, PLAN for the worst scenario.

And there is a hand rail like Noblepa stated too because I too noticed the rail along the chine of the hull so someone would have a hand hold if the lifeboat was overturned.

Thank you for a very informative thread. I'm gonna make sure I book my next cruise in a balcony next to the lifeboats so I can jump right in one if there's a problem. I'll also bring some MRE's and bottled water so I'm sure everything is fresh.

I'd never thought about any of this so thanks!

Thank you for a very informative thread. I'm gonna make sure I book my next cruise in a balcony next to the lifeboats so I can jump right in one if there's a problem. I'll also bring some MRE's and bottled water so I'm sure everything is fresh.

I'd never thought about any of this so thanks!

You can save your money on some of that. Personal luggage will not be allowed. :)

You can save your money on some of that. Personal luggage will not be allowed. :)

I wasn't going to bring any suitcases, just a backpack filled with some supplies. Sunscreen, bug repellent, fresh water and food. Those kinds of things.

Archived