Why Not More Mexican Food Onboard?

globe9

Maybe she's a Yankee transplant... :D The subtle phrase and the subdued genteel sarcasm are more an Old South thing.... members of G.R.I.T.S. know what I'm talking about.

G.R.I.T.S. stands for "Girls Raised In The South". :)

As one of the G.R.I.T.S. I can attest to the fact that it sometimes means more than that, but yes, it is a genteel way of saying it.;)

I'm from Texas and thus love TexMex, but what exactly is Sonoran? I'm just asking because I wonder if it is something I would like. I've seen shows on Food Network talking about Sonoran Hotdogs (BK Dog and El Guero Canelo), but what exactly is Sonoran "style"??

Thanks in advance.

I can only compare it to the other styles of cooking Mexican food, but it is not as hot as Santa Fe (they use more hotter chiles, Hatch chiles). To me, Tex-Mex uses a lot of the red enchilada powder and sauces and for Sonora(n) style, there is more of a green chile and meat combo, tamales are big here with the red sauce on them (for beef tamales) and green chile sauce for green corn tamales. Just tastes "lighter" to me than Tex-Mex.

I made the mistake of going to the mexican buffet at 11:30pm. It was disgusting. Everything I tried was aweful. Salmon enchiladas EWE:eek:

I love the menu on Carnival as it is and don't want any changes. I have a hard enough time trying to decide what to eat for dinner. Most ships have a taste of the nations and they put mexican in there one day I think out of a week cruise. If I want mexican food, I'll get it while in port.

I don't eat at the Mexican buffet anymore. The 1 & only time I tried it I didn't feel well the next day. One would think that if a ship goes to Mexico, they would be able to make Mexican food. But I guess not. Like you, I just wait until I get into port to have good Mexican food

But with that being said, I did like the burrito bar on the Splendor.

ewww... please define "crusty".... :eek:

Crusty_claps.gif

I don't know why most cruise lines do mexican food SO poorly. I'm from Texas and my fave is Tex-Mex, but really I enjoy all the regional differences in Mexican food and even like Mexico "original" versions.

That said, Carnival's take on Mexican food is bordering on Nasty. Our favorite line, Disney Cruise Line, does even a worse job..if that is possible.

I've heard that NCL has Mexican food resterants on many of their ships for a surcharge, and that they do an excellent job. We hope to see for ourselves someday! :D

I do like Mexican food ..but I haven't had any on the ship that was to my liking. Except nachos! I'm not a fan of guac or sour cream, so most things I've had to skip on.

I would love more Italian ..or like someone else said, Chinese!

I agree carnival simply can't cook mexican or even food that resembles mexican food. The buffet is a joke. I can't believe they even label it a mexican buffet. It's horrible tasting, please don't add more of that to the menu. I like authentic mexican and I like US versions like On the Border type places but Carnival buffet is the worst tasting I've ever had and that's saying a lot.

Archived