Tipping for infants?

danilynn17

My family is planning a cruise on HAL next February and we are taking my baby daughter, who will be just shy of 1 year old at the time of the sailing. Does the automatic gratuity apply to children? If not, how much is an appropriate tip for the wait staff and cabin stewards?

My family is planning a cruise on HAL next February and we are taking my baby daughter, who will be just shy of 1 year old at the time of the sailing. Does the automatic gratuity apply to children? If not, how much is an appropriate tip for the wait staff and cabin stewards?

Usually the auto-tip that is recommended by the cruise line is for ALL persons...even children...even infants. So when you've paid that, you don't need to pay any more.

Im on an RCCL ship this November and I believe I paid $699 for my daughter (15 mos at the time of cruise).....I have real trouble swallowing dishing out full tips for her when she will barely be eating anything compared to an older child and/or adult and the amount I have already paid for her to be a 3rd person in a JS

Im on an RCCL ship this November and I believe I paid $699 for my daughter (15 mos at the time of cruise).....I have real trouble swallowing dishing out full tips for her when she will barely be eating anything compared to an older child and/or adult and the amount I have already paid for her to be a 3rd person in a JS

One of the things I love about a cruise is that it's not pay per meal, pay per activity, etc. I took a cruise with my husband when he hardly ate anything for a week and didn't do much more than sit in the library and look at the ocean, but of course we still tipped the full amount. In my mind, a 15 month old is far from a baby. I know my 13 month old twins ate three (or more) meals a day, used towels, linens, and generally were treated like queens for a week. I think once you're on board and see how much work your child creates and how wonderfully they're treated, you may change your mind. To me, those taking care of my 13 month olds deserved more tip - not less.

In my mind, since the service workers do not earn more or less depending on how much fare I pay for my children - what I pay in fares does not affect how I'm going to tip. The workers definately work hard for passengers no matter what the age.

Have a wonderful cruise - it's a great way to travel with toddlers.

Best,

Mia

I think once you go on the cruise and see how much time is taken up by your toddler, you would understand why even the babies have to tip. We took our child on her first cruise at 23 months and when we first met our steward, my question was what to do with the used diapers. He assured me he would take care of them, and he did, checking our bathroom trash can -- where he instructed me to place them inside bags he gave me -- every change he could.

When we showed up for meals, our girl was given a kid's menu and crayons, as well as crackers. They would provide the high chair and offer to fill her sippy cup with milk.

Just a couple of ways, but you'll see.

Tipping isn't just for food service. And I've always seen a pile of "foodstuff" under a baby's chair, in almost every restaurant I've eaten in, whether they've ordered food for the child from the restaurant, or brought something from home. Not to mention towels, washcloths, bed linen, dirty diapers, messes in the bathroom, etc. I think it's only fair that babies and children are charged the same as older children and adults. If the 3rd peson in a cabin were an adult, the tipping would be the same.

I beg to differ. There is nothing wrong with opting out of automatic tipping for an infant.

In fact, on Celebrity Summit in June, the ship's Event Coordinator left me a voice mail suggesting I go to Guest Relations to opt out of automatic tipping for our 8-month old. We were part of a group, and the group's host (who sails constantly) said the same thing. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise!

Ed

Wow that's a lot to pay for an under 2! Under 2 on the HAL that we're going to book is like $160 something after taxes.

I have no problem paying tips for her - I just wasn't sure if it worked any differently. She will be eating some table food and probably not very neatly. Plus her dirty diapers and the need to have a crib i the room, high chair at dinner etc., and she will need bathed (i.e. linens) etc. so she will create plenty of work.

The amount they charge is a bit steep compared to other cruise lines but we are RCCL addicts and we are platinum members so we like the small perks and I was able to actually use a $150 coupon on this cruise.....its a 9 day cruise.......I havent opted for automatic tipping and never said I wouldnt tip I was just questioning full tipping as if she were an adult......if my little girl is treated like a princess that will surely influence how much and who I tip.

when we were on ccl with our 18 month old they told us they do not add tips for under 2 . we asked them to add hers on .:)

We have had the same for Carnival & Princess w/ tips not being on our cabin invoice. - we chose to give tips directly to those that were directly involved with our children & treated them well-- they were all well appreciated. Once out of 8 cruises we did not add tips for the infant but have never removed them

We are going on our first cruise with child next month. While it was hard to swallow the charge for him at first (I think we paid almost $600 for him - 3rd person in a balcony stateroom), after reading why they don't differentiate between a baby, child, 3rd adult - we understood and knew we didn't have to cruise if we didn't want to. When it comes to tipping, however, we actually have been discussing how we are going to probably have to tip even more than we usually do (we usually tip more than the suggested amount if we get good service anyway). We were the type of people who could stay in a hotel room and besides the luggage - you wouldn't know there was someone there, and now, with our DS, our rooms have looked like a tornado has passed through. Likewise, when we go out to eat. No matter how hard we try to contain the situation, food always ends up in a pile on the floor. And he's a really good kid! It's just natural for his age (he's 16 months right now). So, when we go out to eat or stay in hotels we have been tipping more than we normally do because we know everyone has to work even harder and, so far, we have had no complaints from anyone.

Archived