Customs Question

I didn't sail into NY but into Boston from Canada and saw no difference from any other pass through customs. Had to complete the same form and show my passport to the customs agent.

How does it work if you sail from NYC to Canadian ports then stop at US ports before your return to NYC? Do you have to pass through Customs in Bar Harbor and then again in NYC??:confused:

I didn't sail into NY but into Boston from Canada and saw no difference from any other pass through customs. Had to complete the same form and show my passport to the customs agent.

The Customs Forms will be distributed to your cabin. For the majority of the passengers the customs process is uneventful. You just turn in the form and show your passport . However before disembarking begins , US Customs comes on board ship and reviews the RCCL onboard purchase records of the passengers. Paying special attention to those that have made excessive purchases and/or purchased expensive items on board ship such as jewelry. You than will hear announcements for selected people to go to a specific room .These people have to meet directly with customs. At this point customs is making certain all items have been declared. Passengers don't realize that Customs has access to the onboard purchase records. This is were many get tripped up. Once Customs has finished their on board review disembarkation will be begin.

How does it work if you sail from NYC to Canadian ports then stop at US ports before your return to NYC? Do you have to pass through Customs in Bar Harbor and then again in NYC??:confused:

Not having sailed this particular situation but when I sailed to St. Maarten to St. Thomas then to Florida we did customs before going into St. Thomas as that was the first American port we hit after being in a foreign port. I don't recall having to do it again in Florida.

My understanding from previous posts is that your ship is considered foreign territory. So even though you last visited USA ports, you are still arriving from a "foreign territory" and have to go through customs again. When you are in ports, they don't make you declare purchases. That happens at the end of the cruise. So, asuming this information is correct, you go through both immigrations and customs when you debark. This goes along with my memories of past debarkations.

Correction. I did have to go through immigrations from St. Marteen to St. Thomas but not customs. Customs happened as I was getting off the ship in Florida.

Thanks for helping out with my confusion!!:eek: Immigration in ports and customs when I return to NYC to debark!

Archived