Carnival Sail and Sign Program

I've talked to carnival representatives a couple of times and get conflicting information on their sail and sign program. I don't have any credit cards, and I'm concerned about using my debit card and staying within a pre-set limit. Has anyone used cash? Is there a way to keep track of how much I've spent each day. I don't want to go overboard (no pun intended) and spend more than I have in my checking account and have overdraft fees, etc.

I've been told that I can use cash and pay a $50 deposit, then add more money as I go. I've also been told that I have to pay a $200 cash deposit. I don't know who to believe, and the run-around is getting frustrating.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yes, I used cashed instead of a credit/debit card for my S&S account. Carnival gives you a suggested amount of a $200.00 deposit (I think) if you are are using cash, however, you only need to put $50.00 on there upfront and you can add more as needed.

Im not sure if every ship allows you to do this, but on my cruise with Carnival, I was able to check my spending anytime on the tv in the stateroom. You can also go up to guest services and they will let you know how much you have spent.

I don't suggest using a debit card...here's why: Once they swipe your card, they hold a certain amount. I think $ 200. After you approach the $200 mark, they hold another $200, and so on. Then, on the last day of the cruise, they actually charge the card for the total amount. So, say you spend $500, they put a hold on $500, then they charge $500. The problem is, is that the bank takes a few days to release the hold. So, $1000 is actually tied up until the bank releases the hold. If you don't have a credit card, just use cash. It's much easier.

Thanks. I had budgeted to spend about $250, knowing that money will come out that for gratuities and any excursions. I'm also bringing a little extra spending money, and if I need to, I can put some of that on my S&S account.

We, too, don't use a credit (or debit) card for our S&S account. We always use cash. Carnival recommends that you place a $200 per person deposit on your account. The magic word is "recommends", meaning you can put what you want down.

When your account gets low, they will notify you and all you will need to do is go to the Purser's desk and give them some more cash.

IF you have money left in your account at the end of your cruise, you will receive a check immediately for that amount.

Using cash works great for us!

Bill

Archived