Detailed Carnival Victory review:Photos,Menus,Fun Times July 4th-11, 2010

using a laptop from bed- I just the lap keep leaning on that darn mousepad and erasing typing...

/tech support mode on

Some laptops have a function key to disable the touchpad. For instance, Toshiba has Fn+F9. Maybe your laptop has a similar feature. Look for the mousepad symbol on the function keys. (Note: you'll have to enable it again using the same key)

F9.png

Other touchpad drivers allow a setting that automatically deactivates the pad while you're typing. You'd have to find out the manufacturer of yours and see if one's available.

/tech support mode off ;)

WishIWasThereNow, thanks for bumping this up ! I had lost this wonderful review somehow. I love it even though we're going to be traveling on the Miracle in January to the same ports of St. Lucia, St. Martin and St. Kitts.

Appreciate the 'walking distance,' advice. We are taking a tour with Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia. He has has some excellent reviews, we are going with some of the people in the CC group that we are traveling with so we have that day covered.

Back in 1961 when my husband graduated from college, he joined the Peace Corps. He requested placement in St. Lucia but they sent him to India instead. He's very excited about finally going to St. Lucia after all these years.

I just selected our cabin on the Miracle. We are in 5138 which is near the front of the ship. It is very close to the front elevators so on our port days, we'll order room service for breakfast, hop on the elevator to Deck A and save a lot of his walking energy for the pier instead of using it on the ship to get from the Lido deck to the Deck A exit. I think that will help him a great deal.

Hope you are feeling better. That cough after a bout of bronchitis can linger for a long time after the antibiotics have done their thing. We will enjoy the rest of your review whenever you feel up to writing it.

Feel better soon Suzy! Nothing worse than summertime sickness! I hope you are on the mend soon. :)

I appreciate sincere get well wishes,yes quite frustrating to get bronchitis in summer-

I hope to post tomorrow, I fate to keep coughing and want to do something and can't. But got the meds, resting and DH brought me "freezy pops"- see there is something good about it being summer

thanks to all my CC friends in cyberspace.

Congrats on all the weddings to be. It takes so much planning, glad this helps excite you about honeymoon cruise. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks for the compliments, I really,really appreciate them. Typing the review is like reliving the reason we love to cruise and places we visit.

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary on this cruise and those commenting about looking forward to their honeymoon cruise made me recall an episode I wish to forget about that happened on our honeymoon cruise (and also our first cruise.) Keep in mind sun protection was not the big topic back then. I decided to lie on a deck chair face down and read a book for hours. I awoke the next day not recognizing myself, I looked like I had nasal surgery; all swollen. So off to infirmary as we had snorkeled earlier in cruise and thought it could be a weird infection. According to the ship doctor it was sun poisoning, so a day resting in cabin with lots of loving care and ice packs provided from my new husband. Moral of story, I did not realize my book was acting as a reflector. So watch that Caribbean sun, sand reflection and take it in small doses. I’d hate to see anyone miss a day of a honeymoon or any cruise.

I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. Please get lots of rest and feel better soon!

It is ironic that you should post this warning, because I had a question about the intensity of the sun on the islands. I was wondering if a hat, sunglasses, and sun screen are all necessary, but after reading your post, it seems like all three are the best protection. I tan pretty easily, but had a skin cancer removed not too long ago, so definately sun screen.I think I'll pack a hat, or better yet, buy one in St. Thomas, to block the rays even more.

Thank you again for posting such a wonderful review. L-O-V-E, love it!!:D

I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. Please get lots of rest and feel better soon!

It is ironic that you should post this warning, because I had a question about the intensity of the sun on the islands. I was wondering if a hat, sunglasses, and sun screen are all necessary, but after reading your post, it seems like all three are the best protection. I tan pretty easily, but had a skin cancer removed not too long ago, so definately sun screen.I think I'll pack a hat, or better yet, buy one in St. Thomas, to block the rays even more.

Thank you again for posting such a wonderful review. L-O-V-E, love it!!:D

Thanks- I am sure I'd feel better on a cruise :) but wouldn't pass the embarkation health form.

The sun intensity is so much more, being much further south. Especially if in water-you feel cool and no idea you are burning. Don't forget to put sunblock on your ears, and apply heavily and reapply often.

oh- a warning on sunscreen from spray can --it happened with Coppertone and then another brand; my suit and my DH t-shirt that were mostly white- got splotches and sections that turned them a yellowish color-nothing gets it out. I am thinking oils in product.

As far as a hat- i brought two kinds- an all over brimmed one and a baseball cap. Be sure when lying face down to cover exposed side of face- nothing worse than looking like you are supporting a football team with a two tone face. The baseball cap has a velcro back closure to be able to tighten it as needed -the wind on deck & St.Kitts blows hats off.

I noticed your first cruise was on the Southward. Back in 1988 the Southward was our first cruise. I still have great memories of the Southward.

Small world-I looked back at old CC posts-seems the Southward bult in 1971 was often the initiation to cruising. It was our first cruise and have a file from that cruise in 1985, and a porthole room for two with airfare was $2400!

A poster on wall lists Southward gross tonage at 16,000, 536 long and 75 wide. Crew 300, 767 passenger max. We thougt it was big then!

Far cry from the Victory at: 101,609 tonnage,893 long, 116 wide with

crew of 1,100 and passengers 2,758.

Cruising seems a much better value now.

I noticed on the StM shopping guide "That Yoda Guy"! My BIL was telling me about this right after we booked and I kind of forgot about it. Just mentioned it to my DH and he says, "Well we HAVE to go there!"

Glad you were feeling better enough to post some more! :)

Small world-I looked back at old CC posts-seems the Southward bult in 1971 was often the initiation to cruising. It was our first cruise and have a file from that cruise in 1985, and a porthole room for two with airfare was $2400!

A poster on wall lists Southward gross tonage at 16,000, 536 long and 75 wide. Crew 300, 767 passenger max. We thougt it was big then!

Far cry from the Victory at: 101,609 tonnage,893 long, 116 wide with

crew of 1,100 and passengers 2,758.

Cruising seems a much better value now.

We also thought the Southward was big until St Thomas. In 1988 the biggest cruise ship in the world was the Sovereign of the Seas. When we awoke in St. Thomas and went on deck our ship looked like the Sovereigns lifeboat.

I noticed on the StM shopping guide "That Yoda Guy"! My BIL was telling me about this right after we booked and I kind of forgot about it. Just mentioned it to my DH and he says, "Well we HAVE to go there!"

Glad you were feeling better enough to post some more! :)

I am ready with my laptop

Can't help but find it, should be able to hear the Star Wars music -I recall shop being either two story shop or his shop is upstairs.

I would suggest when you take the water taxi getting off at the first stop;assuming it stops on the right stop first,which is located under 5b on shopping map. The taxis usually travel in a triangle route.

Thanks well wishers, I am ready with my laptop for more of St.Maarten posting today

Edited by Buffettfan 225
typo

St.Maarten:

Today the ship basically “pulls into its pier” like a parking spot. The port side facing the harbor and view of Phillipsburg, and starboard side facing the hills. There is a lot of expansion construction going on at the pier, looks like they are preparing for more dock areas, and reclaiming land, and "rearranging" other areas. Today we did not have an organized tour planned, and I knew the shops did not open until at least 9-10am, so took time the time to enjoy the less crowded ship and appreciate our true last normal breakfast on the ship. My DH & I each gathered breakfast items from lido area and met at "our" table on second floor. It was so easy to always take the time to climb the stairs to second dining area, often uncrowded and only once was "our table" occupied. Funny we all get our creatures of habit and feel need to sit in same chair in college or in work meetings.

Photo taken about 8:30am. View from port side cabin balcony 7312 looking toward bow early in morning (sorry about foggy photo, the humidity fogged camera lens)

2954600960103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Today there was no another ship docked beside us, otherwise we may have had a view of cabins across from us. This also shows what appears as a brand new additional pier for docking.

This is view from cabin looking across harbor (port side) 2870374740103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

View from starboard looking forward (towards bow) from midship

2544294400103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Starboard view midship

2380155190103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

View of lido deck after breakfast about 9am, looks pretty quiet.

2971325690103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Next up: off ship to catch a water taxi to explore and shop Philipsburg.

Hi Buffettfan

Loving your review. I will be sailing the 9-19.. I noticed that in a lot of your ship pictures the pools wee not filled.. Was that every day in Dock or just certain days?..

And also.. THANK YOU so much for the detail review you are making my excursion decisions easier...

When I was in his shop in '07 he was there. Nick Maley will autograph anything he sells in his shop and is happy to pose for a photograph. If I can find the right thumb drive I'll attached one of the pictures we took. I went again in '08 but he was out of the day. He sells a map of the Caribbean and will sketch the cruise route of the ship. This is what I was looking for in '08. Maybe he will be in the shop on our visit in January.

Hi Buffettfan

Loving your review. I will be sailing the 9-19.. I noticed that in a lot of your ship pictures the pools wee not filled.. Was that every day in Dock or just certain days?..

And also.. THANK YOU so much for the detail review you are making my excursion decisions easier...

The only day I recall a pool not being filled was the aft (backpool-the one with the retractable dome over it) while docked in Dominica. They started scraping early in the morning, and later applying an epoxy paint of some sort. It was open the next day. The pools were drained and netted nightly I think by 8pm.

I also noted the waterslide open the day we embarked and hot tubs open later than pools.

This cruise is at the top of my "wish list". Thank you for such a detailed review. I have started making notes of places I would like to visit at the different ports and you have been very helpful. Congratulations on your 25th anniversary. My husband and I just celebrated our 28th and we cruised last year to celebrate our anniversary on the Legend. One question, does the Victory have the Waterworks area? I personally don't spend much time in the pools, but when I get hot laying out on deck, I love to go get misted in the Waterworks.

This cruise is at the top of my "wish list". Thank you for such a detailed review. I have started making notes of places I would like to visit at the different ports and you have been very helpful. Congratulations on your 25th anniversary. My husband and I just celebrated our 28th and we cruised last year to celebrate our anniversary on the Legend. One question, does the Victory have the Waterworks area? I personally don't spend much time in the pools, but when I get hot laying out on deck, I love to go get misted in the Waterworks.

You are welcome, Congratualtions back to you--the Victory cruise could be for your 30th! It is very hard deciding what to choose for activities in ports, and with so many ports when to take a breather. There is no Waterworks on ship.

Being so port intensive I found it easy to sit at pool on edge with feet in water, on a day like Dominica. I put my ipod in a little rolldown waterproof pouch I found at a local marine boating store. Another breezy area is on deck behind funnel--never seemed to get hot there. I also packed a small mister bottle for doing laundry and filled with ice & cold water from lido deck. It was enough if need be.

p.s. we did Legend last year near end of June--had a blast as anniversary again for us, and high school graduation gift for son. He was chosen to be Ricky Martin in Legend show which added to fun.

which day is formal night??

I can confirm on our July 4th cruise, the "formal" and now renamed "cruise elegant' are on Tuesday (the captains meet n' greet), and after a day in Dominca) and Thursday after a day in St.Lucia.

Menus posted earlier on this thread

What a great review & beatiful pictures - have picked up lots of helpful tips. I also appreciate all of the info about the San Juan Marriott.

Just thought of another question - How was the hairdryer in your cabin? In the pictures it appears to be one of those hose-type dryers. Is that still the case, or have they been 'upgraded'? I hate to be one of "those" people but I've used one of those hair dryers in Rome and it took forever on my thin hair, so hoping not to have to bring my travel dryer!

What a great review & beatiful pictures - have picked up lots of helpful tips. I also appreciate all of the info about the San Juan Marriott.

Just thought of another question - How was the hairdryer in your cabin? In the pictures it appears to be one of those hose-type dryers. Is that still the case, or have they been 'upgraded'? I hate to be one of "those" people but I've used one of those hair dryers in Rome and it took forever on my thin hair, so hoping not to have to bring my travel dryer!

Thanks for compliment.

Yes, we were even in a suite and it is an icky rectangle headed hairdryer, minimal power, and stuck on bathroom with no vetilation.

I would recommend a dryer from home- I second guessed and will no longer.

I tried dryer, and it would be lucky to dry a guys hair/ My hair is shoulder length and I did better outdoors on balcony! So go with your own.

I have a foldable travel hairdryer, but almost considered a "Goodwill overstock" hairdryer for a one way trip!

I have been on other ships that have 1200watt in drawer but never know when, and even that is weak dryer. Stick with bringing a dryer and just bring one less pair of shoes.;)

Edited by Buffettfan 225