Stupid Newbie questions

Scouter Wife

Hi all! I'm very new to cruising. I've only been on 1 cruise, the Dream earlier this year. Now that cruise was one my sister put together and all I did was pay. My hubby & I had such a good time that I've booked my family on a cruise for next year through a PVP, and I have some stupid questions. One is, what do the room catagories mean? We're booked in 2 8Ds and 1 4G rooms. I see all kinds of numbers & letters for room catagories but have no idea what they mean. I just told the PVP we were on deck 8 before & liked it and we wanted 2 balcony rooms next to each other and an interior room across the hall.

And here's another dumb question...since we booked as early savers, exactly how do you go about checking the rates to see if they've changed? When I go to look at the information for our cruise is just shows Balconies starting at $879, Interiors starting at $579. How do I find out if the catagory I'm booked in has changed? Is there some listing I'm missing that shows each room catagory & it's price?

This board had been a great resource, but you all definitely have a lot more prior knowledge than I do. Thanks in advance for your help!

We're booked on the Carnival Liberty for May 28, 2011.

Hi Scouter...

I'm not up on the exact designations of the cabins, but by looking at the deck plans for the Liberty, it seems you have two standard balcony cabins and one standard interior cabin. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer that part. As to the Early Saver and how you check, try this - first you should have a booking number. Go to the Carnival website and logon (or create a logon). Then go click where it says Manage My Cruises. Click on Access Your Bookings, and you'll be taken to a page that shows your cruise - date, booking number, destination. Click the arrow next to View Details and select Pending Payments. You'll get a window that will show you how much per person you're paying for the cabin, taxes, vacation protection (if any) and the total. Checking here will show you if the rate changes. You'll also see how much you've paid, how much you owe and any on board credits.

When you are on the carnival site checking prices, click on the "category" tab up above and it will show all the rates for whichever one you are checking, like all the ES rates, or all the senior rates if they are available etc.

Just click on the category tab, some say there is a edit button that also works

Le Cruiser, I've found what you're talking about. So will the price change if Carnival drops their price? I thought I had to fill out a form and submit it if Carnival drops their price.

firefly333, I'm not seeing a catagory or edit tab. Maybe I'm not checking the right place...??

Cat. 4 are interior cabins

Cat. 6 are window or oceanview cabins

Cat. 8 are balcony cabins

Cat. 9 are premium balcony cabins

Cat. 10 are suites

Cat. 12 are penthouse suites

Then all the different letters in simple terms just mean a little bit better cabin. In the mid ship area rather than on the front or back, and then moving up to a higher deck. I hope this helps if this is the answer you were looking for.

Le Cruiser, I've found what you're talking about. So will the price change if Carnival drops their price? I thought I had to fill out a form and submit it if Carnival drops their price.

firefly333, I'm not seeing a catagory or edit tab. Maybe I'm not checking the right place...??

I'll give you a step-by-step of what I do. Forgive me if you already know part of this. On Carnival's website, click on "Ships & Life Onboard". Then, click on "Carnival Liberty". Then, click on the "Itinerary" tab. Then, I am seeing that your cruise is under the 2nd grouping, and there are many dates for it. Along the 2011 column at the far right side, click on "More", then click on May 28. It sounds like you already know how to get here. So from here, under any of the 4 sections, click on "Select". Then, select "Early Saver" as your rate (and change the number of guests if you need to) and click "Continue". From here, you have 2 ways to pull up what you're looking for. Click on the "Edit" button right underneath the blue bar with "Deck...Category...Guest 1,2". Or, right above the picture of the room, click the underlined "Category" tab. Every category available will show up with the prices. If you're category is gone, that means it's sold out for the moment. If you see a lower price on your category, you must fill out the online form. It will not give you the price drop automatically.

For future reference, going back to where you clicked on any of the 4 categories and the box with different rates pops up: you may see something like a past guest rate, senior rate, military rate, or state citizen rate (for your state). They won't always be there and may not pop up at all for your sailing, but they could. If you happened to qualify for any of these (which I know you do for past guest), check those rates (in addition to checking early saver rate) for your rooms to see if those rates are lower than what you're at. You can match to those rates as well.

Excellent breakdown from BlueJacketsFan. I would say that the higher letters is what Carnival considers to be better rooms. Basically, a 4A & 6A would be on the lowest level offered for that category (number), in the front & back of the ship. A 4B & 6B would be on the lowest level mid-ship and on the next highest floor in the front and back. And on and on. Personal preference determines whether, for example, a 4G is actually better than a 4B.

When you are on the carnival site checking prices, click on the "category" tab up above and it will show all the rates for whichever one you are checking, like all the ES rates, or all the senior rates if they are available etc.

Just click on the category tab, some say there is a edit button that also works

Firefly.............I don't want you to think I'm a wise guy or something, but I must ask you a question. I notice that you became a member of CC in december 2006 and you have made 37,773 posts in 43 months. That figures out to 878 posts per month. Where do you get the time to make all those posts on your computer?

Archived