question about progresso

i have been to progresso several times but always either took an excursion or just shopped at the pier. i know i have read somewhere that there is a free shuttle into town. is this worth the trip. we seem to have all the shopping were interested in right at the port.

It is worth the trip to town atleast to see the big flea market right there where they drop you off. Also take a walk down some of the streets to the beach and you'll see plenty of vendors and stores. You'll probably see the same stuff as in the pier shops but you'll be able to hangle them down even more.

We always have fun in Progresso. We take the shuttle and right by the flea market there is a double decker bus. It's $2/person and it takes you on a guided tour of the city. It's a nice way to see the city and not have to walk it. After the bus tour we walk to the beach and walk down aways to The Old Man In The Sea. They have a bar and they also service their spot on the beach. They provide tables and chairs and a umbrella. If you want to do any beach activities they arrange it for you. Also we haggled about a massage and I think we got them down to $5/person because it was like 6 of us. They have the massage tables right there on the beach. Always a good time.

We are going in August. I'm trying to decide if we should do the "Mayan ruins and beach break". Or just "wing it" on the bus.

At $79 it seems a little "steep" :eek: especially when the "open bar" on the beach won't apply to my son but I'll be charged full price for him.

We are going in August. I'm trying to decide if we should do the "Mayan ruins and beach break". Or just "wing it" on the bus.

At $79 it seems a little "steep" :eek: especially when the "open bar" on the beach won't apply to my son but I'll be charged full price for him.

We went to Progresso 2 years ago and it was our favorite! We spent a total of $70 which included a mexican dress, a massage for DH, both DH & DS taking a banana boat ride, 4 small margaritas, 4 beer, 3 cokes, chips and quacamole. After our time on the beach we were tired and skipped the tour bus:( If you take the free shuttle in, there is a "tourist" market, you can haggle with them and you can walk the whole are and compare prices before you buy. If you walk the opposite direction from the market a couple of blocks you hit the beach. Lots of places to sit and eat and drink, they allow you the free use of their tables and chairs as long as you get your refreshments from them. Some vendors, mostly kids, but when you say no, they leave you alone. There are massage tables set up right on the beach and there are lots of water activities available. IMHO, this is a great place to just wing it.

we went to the mayan ruins in mid march and it was so hot i thought we would fry on the spot. the tour guide said it is too hot in august. that is just what the guide said, your choice. i will say from it was unreal in march.

we went to the mayan ruins in mid march and it was so hot i thought we would fry on the spot. the tour guide said it is too hot in august. that is just what the guide said, your choice. i will say from it was unreal in march.

April and May are the Yucatan's hottest months.

My advice: wing it. The beach break is just dumb. And expensive. The ruins trip is a better choice if you want to go somewhere.

• 2 months later...

Archived