Christmas and New Year on Board

Hi - I am seriously considering the Navigator Cruise departing San Francisco on 20th December until 7th January, which means Christmas and New Year on board.

I have never cruised over the Christmas holidays before (have done New Year in the Carribean many years ago, but on a mainstream line rather than Regent) - can anybody tell me what its like and what to expect. I shall have my 15 year old son in toe, but he has cruised Regent a few times before so knows what to expect in terms of what is expected from him, so I don't need advice on that thanks :)

I would just like an idea on the type of festivities we can expect and if there is anything different from a normal Regent cruise.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dee

Dee,

We've been on a Regent ship [often Voyager] for the past several yeas at New Years. When the ship remained in the Bay of Acapulco on the 31st we were able to enjoy Acapulco's spectacular firework display as well as an on deck party with music and dancing. That was special! [even tho some pax changed their formal attire into shorts and flipflops after dinner] .The other years the party was held in the atrium on 5..the band on the steps..run by the cruise director and songs by the young show staff...hats and loud music...standing room party style w a little room for dancing.. champagne at midnight...no special hors or buffet...I did not find this impressive or special but perhaps others did. Paula

We spent last Christmas and New Years aboard Mariner from LA to Fort Lauderdale through the Panama Canal. We were expecting to find a relatively large complement of families with children, but in fact there were few kids and only one family with small kids. We thought the kids were adorable and well-behaved, but there were a few grumps who complained. In the week before Christmas, I was expecting to be barraged with Christmas music and holiday pageantry, and I was happy when it was tastefully understated. On New Year's Eve, they had a special show with cast members of the Broadway show "Jersey Boys" featuring the music of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

Some of the crew hinted that holiday cruises have a higher than usual number of obnoxious old folks whose families don't want them for the holidays. I don't know if this is true, but we had no trouble finding fun friends.

I spent Christmas on the Voyager a year ago and it was charming. There was a wonderful service and a program of holiday and talent by the crew. Lots of goodies to eat as well. There were a lot of children, but I can't say if they were in the mid-teen range.

How about classifying us 'old folks' as smart seniors who don't want to be bothered with our whinging families over Christmas? Especially if they live in cold climates.

I spent Christmas on the Voyager a year ago and it was charming. There was a wonderful service and a program of holiday and talent by the crew. Lots of goodies to eat as well. There were a lot of children, but I can't say if they were in the mid-teen range.

How about classifying us 'old folks' as smart seniors who don't want to be bothered with our whinging families over Christmas? Especially if they live in cold climates.

What is a whinging family?

Two years ago we decided for various reasons that we wanted to be 'away' at Christmas and a cruise seemed the ideal choice as we were regular cruisers and knew that we enjoyed that kind of holiday.

We chose the Voyager for the sunny itinerary Ft Lauderdale -Ft lauderdale which meant direct Uk-Miami flights both ways.

We had a wonderful time and would recommend it. For the British there are some interesting differences to the celebrations for us being on an American ship......there seemed to be a greater emphasis on Christmas Eve than Christmas day and the appearance of 'egg nog ' in all the bars...........not sure if I need to get a taste for that!

There were carols in the Atrium,midnight Mass and a non denominational service on Christmas day.........and 'christmas cookies' everywhere!

We were away again last Christmas and New Year, and are on the Mariner this year so I guess we are hooked..........no more long queues for food shpping at Tescos (a UK supermarket) and no last minute crowded shopping for forgotten gifts. Regent take all the strain! Lovely

Chris and Sheila

Two years ago we decided for various reasons that we wanted to be 'away' at Christmas and a cruise seemed the ideal choice as we were regular cruisers and knew that we enjoyed that kind of holiday.

We chose the Voyager for the sunny itinerary Ft Lauderdale -Ft lauderdale which meant direct Uk-Miami flights both ways.

We had a wonderful time and would recommend it. For the British there are some interesting differences to the celebrations for us being on an American ship......there seemed to be a greater emphasis on Christmas Eve than Christmas day and the appearance of 'egg nog ' in all the bars...........not sure if I need to get a taste for that!

There were carols in the Atrium,midnight Mass and a non denominational service on Christmas day.........and 'christmas cookies' everywhere!

We were away again last Christmas and New Year, and are on the Mariner this year so I guess we are hooked..........no more long queues for food shpping at Tescos (a UK supermarket) and no last minute crowded shopping for forgotten gifts. Regent take all the strain! Lovely

Chris and Sheila

That's what I thought but I could not imagine anyone whining about being in warmer climates at Christmas....

The whinging familis live in cold climes, we preferred to be warm and had a delightful time as Blacpool UK described.

This year, I'll be on the Seabourn Legend over the holidays.

Archived