Royal Caribbean makes you prepay excursions?

Another way to look at it is thats $115 less in cash that you will have to take with you.

Personally, I prefer to pay for as much stuff as I can before I go on vacation. And I certainly don't have a money tree in my yard or an overflowing bank account.

If you don't want to pay now you can always book once onboard. I was told that the cruiseline holds a number of spots for onboard bookings.

Thanks for the tip on the onboard bookings. I didnt know they reserved spots. Can we wish for a money tree? I swear, if I knew how to grow one...well....:D

Exactly. I book an excursion because it is something I really want to do and have no problem paying in advance. Otherwise why not book every excursion and than decide at the last minute which one you want to do?

I think thats just too much work and alot to keep up with cause if you dont cancel them in time, they charge you. Ive only canceled one excursion I booked through the cruise line and it was because I had an accident 2 days before the cruise and sprained my ankle. Other than that, Ive kept to all my bookings and Ive never prepaid before. I review them all, book what I want to do and pay onboard. Its fantastic. I know just how much to budget and save for before I go.

Once I get over the initial issue of paying for it unexpectedly, I wont really care. Just caught me off guard since the other lines Ive sailed dont do it that way. Now that I know RCCL does it that way, I will be prepared in advance to pay.

Popular shore excursions sell out very quickly, such as dolphin trips, small group snorkeling. The cruise ship has 2500-5000 people all trying to do the same great excursions so booking early is a benefit to you. I have seen people get to the shore excursion desk the day of the trip and be disappointed that there is nothing left except shopping trips.

Popular shore excursions sell out very quickly, such as dolphin trips, small group snorkeling. The cruise ship has 2500-5000 people all trying to do the same great excursions so booking early is a benefit to you. I have seen people get to the shore excursion desk the day of the trip and be disappointed that there is nothing left except shopping trips.

Exactly! When cruise lines don't require prepay the tours often fill up early with folks who might want to take the tours. A financial commitment, even when refundable, makes us more accountable.

25228558Like Ive said' date=' it wasnt a huge deal[/color'][/b], It was surprising, it left me a little disappointed, but it certainly wont make me stop sailing RCL. Thats just silly.

Really?:

"I was so shocked that Royal Caribbean makes you prepay for shore excursions..." :D.

Hi Meredith

We also had to pre-pay our excusions for the Western Med. I have cancelled & changed excusions & a water package & it was a smooth transaction with a refund appearing within a week.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip on the onboard bookings. I didnt know they reserved spots. Can we wish for a money tree? I swear, if I knew how to grow one...well....:D

I'd be careful about "reserved" spots. I think it depends on how many people can go on the excursion. BF wanted to do the deep sea fishing excursion in Cozumel on Oasis, and he tried to book as soon as the Excursions Desk opened when we got on board. It was already sold out--but only 6 people could go on it. I would imagine that if it's a bigger trip with more spaces, there may be reserved spots, but I wouldn't count on it. We ended up scrambling and finding our own and it was fine, but we had to pre-pay a deposit on that.

It is a bit disconcerting when you are used to doing things a certain way and you think you can pay later. I got a little annoyed when having to pre-pay the restaurants and a few other things, but in the end I appreciated not having to worry about it while on the cruise.

Hope you have fun!

I think thats just too much work and alot to keep up with cause if you dont cancel them in time, they charge you. Ive only canceled one excursion I booked through the cruise line and it was because I had an accident 2 days before the cruise and sprained my ankle. Other than that, Ive kept to all my bookings and Ive never prepaid before. I review them all, book what I want to do and pay onboard. Its fantastic. I know just how much to budget and save for before I go.

Once I get over the initial issue of paying for it unexpectedly, I wont really care. Just caught me off guard since the other lines Ive sailed dont do it that way. Now that I know RCCL does it that way, I will be prepared in advance to pay.

I agree. Sometimes we are just not sure if: (a) we want to lay out the money in advance of the cruise or (b) not sure if we really want to do it. Many times, we felt we'll "play it by ear" and if we decide a day before the excursion, we'll book it on the ship. If it is available, then we're meant to do it. If not, maybe it's meant we should not do it!!

So far, it's worked for us. It's a chance you take. I cruise for the cruising experience more than the excursion for a few hours. It's up to what you really want to do (or not).

Safe sails and enjoy however!

I like prepaying things like excursions, specialty dining, etc. in advance. I always use my RCCL or CCL credit card to get double points, then cash the points in for OBC before we sail.

The one big disadvantage for me with paying in advance is that we usually have a good amount of OBC that we would like to use for excursions. We aren't able to do this with Royal Caribbean.

The same problem, to me, it's a problem, exists with choosing my time dining. The grats have to be paid in advance. Again, can't use the OBC.

I understand that RCI wants to know how many people are going on an excursion etc. but I don't think they should charge in advance unless one wants to pre-pay. As far as the charge in advance for tips, it is totally unfair as all others are able to decide how much they want to tip and my time dining people have to pay the full amount. We always pay at least the minimum for tips, but it still doesn't seem fair to me. It's discrimination as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it kind of goes along with the theme of this thread.

My experience has been that you have to pay for the shore excursion when you book it, whenever that may be. The difference is that in the last few years they allow you to 'pre-book'. Before that the ONLY time you could even book shore excursions was onboard.

The one big disadvantage for me with paying in advance is that we usually have a good amount of OBC that we would like to use for excursions. We aren't able to do this with Royal Caribbean.

The same problem, to me, it's a problem, exists with choosing my time dining. The grats have to be paid in advance. Again, can't use the OBC.

I understand that RCI wants to know how many people are going on an excursion etc. but I don't think they should charge in advance unless one wants to pre-pay. As far as the charge in advance for tips, it is totally unfair as all others are able to decide how much they want to tip and my time dining people have to pay the full amount. We always pay at least the minimum for tips, but it still doesn't seem fair to me. It's discrimination as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it kind of goes along with the theme of this thread.

I haven't yet sailed RCI (looking forward to Voyager in December :)), but the lines I have sailed simply refunded any ending credit balance to my credit card. That includes OBCs. They're just another credit entry to the onboard invoice.

I prefer love ordering my excrusions before I get on the ship even if I have to pre-pay. First, that is less money I have to worry about going against my sign and sail account and second I know that I will have my seat waiting for me on the bus or van or jeep or trolley or whatever they use.:p As long as I have my seat waiting for me I'm hapy.

Hi Meredith

We also had to pre-pay our excusions for the Western Med. I have cancelled & changed excusions & a water package & it was a smooth transaction with a refund appearing within a week.

Hope that helps.

this is helpful...thanks so much for responding!

no worries...hijack away...it does go much better than some of the posts here that offer no value to the discussion...some people just like to attack the OP regardless of the topic.

Archived