Scuba diving tahiti nov.2010

Tomcrus

Okay, good that makes it easier for us for Bora Bora. I did find a couple other shops for Raiatea but they don't have websites. We'll get the Te Moana Pass and hope for the best. Yes, I believe that divers will be in the minority on the ships. We'll just have to do our homework! :)

Hemisphere in Riatea is a good outfit. Used them through the ship when we were on the Tahitian Princess. When we went on the Star Flyer, they contracted the guide thru them even though the Flyer has their own dive masters & boats. If Stephanie is there, try to get her....she was awesome.

Mike

Hemisphere in Riatea is a good outfit. Used them through the ship when we were on the Tahitian Princess. When we went on the Star Flyer, they contracted the guide thru them even though the Flyer has their own dive masters & boats. If Stephanie is there, try to get her....she was awesome.

Mike

We've not ever dove with a ship tour...always arranged on our own. In the Caribbean they are always too crowded and expensive. If I may ask, what was your experience with Hemisphere and the divers on the Tahitian? They told me they already have 6 divers signed up. WE would make 8. That would be about my maximum if I can help it.

I contacted Moorea Fun Dive about the Te Moana Inter-Island Pass. Just got a response that if we have the pass, there won't be a problem using the Princess-contracted shops.

Can you give me some info on this pass? I googled it and only got your posting here on Cruise Critic!

We've not ever dove with a ship tour...always arranged on our own. In the Caribbean they are always too crowded and expensive. If I may ask, what was your experience with Hemisphere and the divers on the Tahitian? They told me they already have 6 divers signed up. WE would make 8. That would be about my maximum if I can help it.

Unless they've gotten bigger boats, there wouldn't be more than 8. The group from the TP went out in 2 boats. I seem to remember there were 12 or 14 divers off the ship. We dove in the morning & then did the kayak trip up the river in the afternoon....was a great day. Raiatea was the only stop we used the ship, because we couldn't find an operator beforehand we felt comfortable with. We scheduled on our own in Rarotonga and with Top Dive in Moorea & Bora Bora....we did the dives with GVRE as we were on the same cruise...well, at least one leg since they did a back to back. That was a good trip! There are lots of pics from that trip in the Gallery also.

Mike

Can you give me some info on this pass? I googled it and only got your posting here on Cruise Critic!

Go to this link for Fun Dive, the info about this pass is on their site.

http://www.moorea-fundive.com/

Also, Top Dive has their own Inter-Island Pass for just their stores. We're going to get one of each and that will cover us everywhere.

Unless they've gotten bigger boats, there wouldn't be more than 8. The group from the TP went out in 2 boats. I seem to remember there were 12 or 14 divers off the ship. We dove in the morning & then did the kayak trip up the river in the afternoon....was a great day. Raiatea was the only stop we used the ship, because we couldn't find an operator beforehand we felt comfortable with. We scheduled on our own in Rarotonga and with Top Dive in Moorea & Bora Bora....we did the dives with GVRE as we were on the same cruise...well, at least one leg since they did a back to back. That was a good trip! There are lots of pics from that trip in the Gallery also.

Mike

Was the kayak trip with them as well? Or was that a separate Princess excursion? Sounds like a great way to plan that day!!!

Was the kayak trip with them as well? Or was that a separate Princess excursion? Sounds like a great way to plan that day!!!

That was a ship excursion and was very enjoyable. You have about a 30 minute ride in an open air Land Rover so you get some good views of the island and then about an hour kayak up the river to a Botanical Garden. Some really beautiful sights from inside the volcano basin. We had our camera inside the dive housing & it kept fogging up so we didn't get as many great pictures as we had hoped. It was definately a full day and then we had the Polynesian show in the evening aboard ship. One thing....make sure you buy the flower headbands from the ladies in the port area. That will save you a few bucks from buying them on the ship. Everyone looked great that evening!

One last thing that doesn't have anything to do with diving....buy a flower arrangement at Le Marche before boarding. It will last the entire cruise & make the cabin smell wonderfull. Eat at the Roulettes also...the red crepe truck is awesome.

Mike

That was a ship excursion and was very enjoyable. You have about a 30 minute ride in an open air Land Rover so you get some good views of the island and then about an hour kayak up the river to a Botanical Garden. Some really beautiful sights from inside the volcano basin. We had our camera inside the dive housing & it kept fogging up so we didn't get as many great pictures as we had hoped. It was definately a full day and then we had the Polynesian show in the evening aboard ship. One thing....make sure you buy the flower headbands from the ladies in the port area. That will save you a few bucks from buying them on the ship. Everyone looked great that evening!

One last thing that doesn't have anything to do with diving....buy a flower arrangement at Le Marche before boarding. It will last the entire cruise & make the cabin smell wonderfull. Eat at the Roulettes also...the red crepe truck is awesome.

Mike

What is the Roulettes if I might ask? I had heard about purchasing the flower arrangement. DId you happen to stay at a hotel pre-cruise? I'm curious as to how much a taxi might cost to the pier? We're at the Intercontinental Hotel.

Archived