Have you eaten dinner at the Lido?

Has anyone eaten dinner in the Lido restaurant as opposed to the main dining room? I'm going on Carnival Dream this August and I'm considering this as an occasional option. How does the Lido's evening food rate compared to the main dining room?

We eat dinner in the MDR every night, but that's just our preference. We do not care to eat hot dogs/hamburgers/french fries, etc., items like that for dinner. We're on a cruise and we paid good money for some good food!

We do eat breakfast and lunch sometimes on the lido and it's perfectly fine. We had some friends on our last cruise with us who ate at the lido buffet one night, but they were right back in the MDR with us the next night and the rest of the week.

So, it's really just up to each person and what they want for dinner.

Happy Cruising!!

You'll find a few of the same items as on the MDR menu, and a few other "everyday" items. Plus the salad bar is always open and stocked with different items than at lunch time. We like the Lido at least once on a Cruise as some days just eating in a very relaxed area is nice. And if we've had a nice lunch in a port a salad and slice of Pizza is just enough. Followed up by a little ice cream that is....:)

Have gone on about 15 cruises on Carnival and have eaten dinner on lido about 3 times.

Stronger prefer meal in the Dr to food that is slightly above cafeteria food.

Only do it if excursion gets back to late for seating or for some reason we want to go to a show at a particular time.

We do not care to eat hot dogs/hamburgers/french fries, etc., items like that for dinner.

They do have a lot more that burgers and hot dogs on the buffett at dinner. Like another poster stated, some of the food is the same as what is available from the MDR menu.

We eat dinner in the MDR every night, but that's just our preference. We do not care to eat hot dogs/hamburgers/french fries, etc., items like that for dinner. We're on a cruise and we paid good money for some good food!

!

That's not the complete dinner menu.

We always eat in the MDR but we go to the Lido deck before or after dinner to see what they are serving. On our last cruise this past Feb. on the Fantasy several items were being served that were on the MDR menu. Actually, everything looked delicious. :)

On our last cruise (Glory's Christmas sailing) we had evey dinner on Lido (due to health and mobility issues with Mom) and there was soups, salad bar, baked potatoes, rice, carver meats and most other stuff like on the menu for the MDR available each night NOT Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, and we even had assorted deserts each night including the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

Now that it's just DD and I we booked the Ant time dining and would not hesitate to have dinner on Lido, it was kind of nice to eat when we wanted.

an 8 day cruise 2 weeks ago, the wife and I only ate dinner in MDR once, the first night. We ate all other dinner meals on the Lido deck. They have a nice selection of dinner meals plus some are what is being served in the MDR that night. It all depends on what you like to do. Our cruise before this one we ate every dinner in the MDR.

Sometimes I'm afraid to post out here....I never know what is lurking out there, waiting to jump out at me...LOL!

:D

Welcome to the "Someone pounced on my wording" club.

I'm a member today, too. :rolleyes:

It only hurts for awhile...like about two seconds. :D

On my last Liberty cruise was the first time I ate dinner on the Lido in all my 15-20 some odd cruises. I felt like being a bit rebellious, so I convinced my friend to try it with me. We picked a night when there wasn't anything that great on the menu, which happened to be hte night we were in Cozumel. We ate a very nice dinner on the Lido. The next day, our waiter said he was worried that he thought we got a little tipsy in Cozumel and that's why we didn't go for dinner. He couldn't believe that we would willingly pass up a night to see his smiling face for a dinner on the Lido. I miss my waiter, I wish I could have taken him home with me.

Thank you all for the replies so far! So basically I'm kind of taking it that the Lido is just a downgraded version of the MDR...? Out of my 2 cruises with Carnival (been on others as well) I've never eaten an evening mean at the Lido.

More specifically, forget the atmosphere; how is the overall food quality?

I eat in the buffet quite often because I travel with my teen son who loves the pizza bar. I'm not a very picky eater, but I haven't been impressed with the food quality. A couple of times, I got a plate of stuff that I ended up not eating because it just wasn't that good.

The good news is that I don't gain weight cruising :D

The food is fine. I usually eat there a couple of times each cruise simply because I decide I don't want to go to the dining room. I either am not ready to eat or don't feel like having to make small talk with table mates or I just plain don't feel like it. Sometimes I like to get my dinner and take it back to my room to eat. Sometimes I just want a sandwich or pizza -- OMG, even for dinner. And yes, even on sea days when I have no excuse.

Usually they have some sort of carved meat (beef, pork, turkey) and various other dishes. Varies each night what is offered and does often seem to be similar to what is on the dining room menu. (Not everything but some things.)

Is it the same? No. Is the quality good. I think so. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion.

We only eat dinner on the Lido

1. Eat when you want...sit as long as you want

2. Get as much of what you want....without the things you don't want

3. Don't have to wait for service

4. Don't have the "dressing up" dilemma

5. Bigger selection of food

6. Don't end up sitting with incompatible tablemates

Dinner on the Lido has offered salmon and prime rib in our experience. We found it is usually at least one of the main courses from the MDR. After a long excursion we don't always want to get dressed up after our shower and nap, so we just head to the Lido in our shorts. Never been disappointed.

I said etc. and I am only going by my past 2 cruises. I did not state this is ALL they have on EVERY cruise.

I knew I was going to get some negative feedback on that.

He was just giving you info that you didn't know since you never eat there......not negative at all.....

Op we eat there all the time.......on cruise elegant they have always had the prime rib.....

We do eat breakfast and lunch sometimes on the lido and it's perfectly fine. We had some friends on our last cruise with us who ate at the lido buffet one night, but they were right back in the MDR with us the next night and the rest of the week.

Happy Cruising!!

That is at the Grill, not the Lido buffet.

Like others have said the buffet has some of the same items as the MDR.

I sometimes prefer it to the MDR. The food actually seems fresher and

warmer/hotter. The MDR food has been plated and waiting to be served.

It may be in a warmer or something, but so I haven't had anything that was hot.

He was just giving you info that you didn't know since you never eat there......not negative at all.....

Op we eat there all the time.......on cruise elegant they have always had the prime rib.....

Thanks, I'm a bit gun shy these days. :o

Happy Cruising!!

Clearly you have never been to the Lido at dinner time. The food, is to a large extent the same as in the dining room (yes they do not have steaks and lobster). You are not going to have hamburgers and hot dogs. The key difference is that in the Lido you eat at your pace and serve yourself, in a peaceful atmosphere without the dining room circus of dancing waiters.

Archived