Hop-On, Hop-Off buses in Charleston or Philadelphia?

2serendip

These are two of our ports for our November cruise. Does anyone know whether they have hop-on, hop-off buses in either of these cities? We've really enjoyed them in Europe, but I'm not finding any solid information about them in the States. Thanks!

These are two of our ports for our November cruise. Does anyone know whether they have hop-on, hop-off buses in either of these cities? We've really enjoyed them in Europe, but I'm not finding any solid information about them in the States. Thanks!

There is a hop on hop of old fashioned trolley(bus) called the Phlash.

It makes 21 stops to the historic and cultural areas and sites in Philly.

http://www.visitphilly.com/tours/philadelphia/phlash

My research shows me that the ship docks in historic Charleston and they do have a bus that goes around historic Charleston but it is not a guided tour for $1.50. Its a city bus. That is what we are planning to use. Routes 210, 211, and 212 looks like a good overview and we can hop on hop off. Charleston has the carriage rides as their tours but I looked at you tube at one and it wasn't my thing. Here is the link for the bus:

http://www.ridecarta.com/routes/default.aspx?pid=584&nid=589

If it were me, I'd just walk around historic Charleston! There's SO MUCH to see and do within a few blocks of the pier, you'd be spending half your time HOPPING!!

Could you give us an idea of where to start. I printed out several maps but only someone who has been there would know what is worth going to see and what isn't.

I'd start by walking straight inland to the Slave Market (you'll know it when you see it - it's between Market Street Northbound and Market Street Southbound). From there, there's any number of little side streets with neat things to see and quaint shops and pubs to stop in. Or you could walk in a block or two to Church Street, King Street or Meeting Street (still MORE shops and pubs).

If you head to the left from the pier on Bay Street, it will take you down to Battery Park and on the way you'll see some awesome homes. From Battery Park, come back up one of the above 3 mentioned streets (Church, King or Meeting) or one of the smaller lanes in between and you'll see lovely homes with secret gardens behind wraught iron gates, old churches and cemetaries and lots of other historic places, most of which are free to enter and look around.

If you turn right on Bay from the pier, it will take you up to the Aquarium. There are also lots of things to see across the river in Mount Pleasant (Patriots Point has an aircraft carrier you can tour as well as a tour of Fort Sumter) or if you go to North Charleston you can tour the Hunley (a Civil War submarine that was recently excavated). You can also find plenty of carriage rides in the Market area.

There's really SO MUCH to see and do that you could spend a couple days just seeing and doing it all so deciding what to do on a port of call will be difficult. You might have to come back one day and spend a weekend or cruise out of Charleston on Fantasy so you can spend a couple days there.

• 2 weeks later...

We just spent 2 days pre-cruise in Charleston. Just about everything you want to see is within walking distance. We did hop on the bus to go to the aquarium and it took forever!

We did a phenomenal walking tour through charlestonsole. We were the only 3 on our tour and it was great. Knew we had made the right choice as we continually passed other tours with 15-20 people and the guide had to use a microphone! If we hadn't been so hot and tired I think he would have extended the tour even more!

Archived