beach in Ajaccio

mydreamvacation

I did try the search but it timed out on me so sorry if this has been answered many times. We will be in Ajaccio from 11am to 6pm and I thought this might be a good port to just hit a beach. Three summers in a row we have sailed the med. and I still have not gone swimming yet. There does not seem to be a whole lot to do in the port so I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a nice easy to get to beach? Thanks

In Ajaccio finding a beach is very easy. Just walk from the pier up the street to the center of town (only a couple of blocks) and turn left. In a few blocks you will be at the beach...which is actually right in town. It is a pretty decent sandy beach and there are cafes/restaurants right across the street.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, the beach is very easy to get to just turn left along the front towards the Citadelle , go around the corner & theres the beach! Its sandy at the top but, be careful going into the sea as theres about 2feet of slippery pebbles to get across before you get soft sand again. We found it easier to sort of "belly flop" over them as they were difficult to cross. Some people did it easily& others crawled across! Worth it though, the sea was warm & we thoroughly enjoyed our first swim in the Med. Ajaccio was one of our favourite ports, the streets are pretty & its a lovely place to amble around before the beach! Hope this helps.:)

St Francois beach is the nearest to the port and quick and easy to get to on your own. But as mentioned above, although a sandy beach the sea is full of sharp stones- I didn't like it at all! There are sandy beaches further afield but I saw very few taxis and didn't want to take the risk of being marooned on some lovely beach and being unable to get back to the ship.

Archived