Cruise or land-based trip for Southeast Asia snorkeling vacation?

mikeerdas

I began considering two specific Southeast Asia cruise itineraries, one Malaysia/Thailand centric and one Vietnam-centric, for the best snorkeling:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1238060

But now I'm wondering if I've asked the wrong question; e.g. if I want snorkeling to be the focus of my trip, would it be better to fly directly to either Malaysia or Vietnam and do a land-based trip? Where I perhaps settle in one region of one of those countries?

Cruises are great, but some times a more focused, land-based trip is better depending on one's intentions.

On the other hand, parts of Southeast Asia can seem a bit rough to Westerners; and with a cruise, you're paying more for safety and a certain level of quality with accommodations, etc. I'm thinking my money would go a lot further with a land-based vacation, but there are always trade-offs.

Thanks.

Would also appreciate specific comments on snorkeling opportunities in various Vietnam and Malaysian ports; and whether the best snorkeling might not even be in close proximity to cruise ship ports.

I don't have a lot of experience yet with snorkeling, but the best snorkeling I've ever done was at a beach in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. So far, snorkeling in the Caribbean (St. Thomas, Coki beach and Coco Cay) hasn't been as impressive to me as what I saw in Kona (sea turtles and more color).

mike;It depends on when you are going. But assuming you are thinking about 2011 a land based trip would be best. I would fly to Bangkok in April (begins lower hotel rates for 2 month period) and enjoy 4 days in that city. then fly to Phucket and take a one day trip to Phi Phi Islands. then take the fast boat trip to the Simillan Islands. It is 2.5 hours each way for 2.5 hours of some of the best snorkeling ever. It is worth 1-2 days relaxing in Phuket and fly non-stop on Malaysia air to KL and spend 3 days there including 1 day making the long car trip with a guide to the Cameron highlands. They are simple awesome. It is worth going up the petronis Tower but get there early (8AM0 for an impressive sught of the city. Visit some of the huge shopping malls even just to look because there are no great bargains. The BNatu Cave tour is a 4 hour tour from KL by van and is interesting. then fly from the CITY not the International Airport to the Redang Islands (50 minute flight) an spend 4 full days snorkeling on 1/2 day trips to the reef that are spectaular. Then if you really want one more dose of great snorkeling you could fly to Lawgkawi and snorkel for 2 days and if you are game you are right at Malaysia-Borneo and go to the orangatang Reserve for 2-4 days. A great experience all all is really quite safe. If not go to Penang for 2-3 days for your last dose of snorkeling and some nightlife. That would be a great trip. we have done it all but in twio separate trips.

Archived