Have you been on the Fantasy?

~earthmama~

I am a khaki shorts, Hawaiian shirt type.

The only time I come close to wearing dress slacks, long sleeve shirts and a tie is for funerals, weddings and Elegant night.

Wifey likes dressing up for this and I will oblige her.

Plus don't forget the photo shoots on the boulevard.

I do have a tendency to lose the ties, but will still try to look nice.

With all the new TSA restrictions and baggage fees, it is hard to pack everything needed for a true formal occasion, so the cruise lines have laxed up a bit.

But it doesn't mean you go to the MDR in flip flops and your towel wrapped around you.

I've sailed quite a few ships in Carnival including the Fantasy. My most recent was the Sensation and I will be sailing her again on Aug 15th to the Bahamas. Dress attire is mixed. Elegant night is more "smartly" dressed women and men in sportscoats and pants with the occasional tie thrown on.. Yes, we (guys) still bring the suit occasionally, but I think the sportcoat and pants would be just fine for the Fantasy. My personal prefernece is wearing the suit on elegant night and on the 7 day cruises when you have 2 nights to dress more formally, I still wear the suit and ties. It makes for great "formal" pictures on those nights. As I do not wear a suit and tie to work every day, I do enjoy those times when I can get dressed up and break out all that jewelry I bought in Caribbean.. :-) Have a great cruise!

Friends just went on the Fantasy and said even on the formal night everyone wore golf shirts. Was this your experience? I enjoy dressing UP for the formal night and DH usually wears a tux. Will we stick out like a sore thumb?

The last time my DH wore a tux I think he was the only one in one...I didn't see many men in suits either. :(

He no longer packs it.

When you're in a tux and everone else is in a polo shirt, it kinda kills the experience.

Thanks for this thread!

HELP! For these Cruise Elegant Evenings on Fantasy ... how do MOST men really dress? :confused:

DH has a tux, suits, sports coats, and golf shirts so that's not the problem. We just need to know what MOST men wear so he'll be neither be over nor under dressed.

Your honest replies will be very much appreciated. :)

For me....

I wear a golf or dress shirt on regular nights and a dress shirt with tie on elegant nights.

Just my honest .02

:confused: What I'd really like to know is how MOST men dress for these Elegant Evenings? HELP!

We sailed the Fantasy last month and MOST men wore a suit and tie.

:confused: What I'd really like to know is how MOST men dress for these Elegant Evenings? HELP!

Like other have said, it will vary.

When we were inthe Fantasy it was just a few tux's worn, some suits, a lot of jackets with and without ties. Several shirt and ties and some with no ties.

As said before go with what you want.

I prefer the shirt and no tie, but if a table mate is in a tux, it won't bother me and shouldn't bother him.... We are both within the dress code.

Well, there are two dining rooms and two dining times. I doubt that many people have someone stationed at the door of each at both times with a chart to keep track of how people are dressed! :p

I have NEVER cruised where there weren't several men in tuxes. And they look terrific.

Wear what you want to wear! I dress for dinner every evening. It's part of the cruising experience, imho. And, I dress to please myself.

Wear what you want to wear!

Basically, What I want is for my DH to dress the way MOST other men are dressed -- neither overdressed in his tux ... nor underdressed in a simple golf shirt.

This thread has been quite helpful and I certainly appreciate it! :)

I wasn't stationed at the door taking notes:rolleyes: but from my observations most men wear suits and ties on elegant night~My DH wears a shirt and tie because I don't have room for his jacket because of my shoes;)

• 5 weeks later...

What I find is no matter which ship you are on it depends on how that week's people choose to dress. You might get a week full of new car salesman or wall street tycoons and they will mostly wear suits and tuxes on elegant night. If you get a week full of NASCAR fans and Amyway salesmen look for mostly golf shirts and nice pants on elegant night and whatever on other nights. What really should matter is your wife. If she goes out of the way to look nice for you why should you not do the same? When you take that formal looking photo setting and your wife looks like a Princess and you look like Rodney Dangerfield ready for tee off then it is likely she will not buy that photo due to embarsement she likely will not voice her opinoin to you. Some call this mental abuse to a wife. I call it being dumb. A grown man should know and feel when he is out of place in a public gathering. Your wife certaintly knows.

MOST dress in what ever THEY are comfortable in! If your husband would be comfortable in a tux or suit and tie, then let him wear it. If not, shirt or polo with dress pants seems to be during this time also. It changes each cruise...there is no definite right answer.

Just off the Fantasy this past Saturday. While the original post is over a month old I wouldn't stereo type the Fantasy. We had a blast. I have to wear suits to work everday so the last thing I want to do on vacation is put on another suit. On the elegant nights I will wear dress slacks, a button down shirt and a sport coat. I never seem to get a second glance. In my last 3 cruises over the last 2yrs there have been very few people in a tux. But hey, each his own.

Cigar Dude- I have never met you, but I have read your posts on here. We were just on the Fantasy and the funniest thing happened. There was a guy on there who looks just like you (at least from your pic on here). My boys and and I were in our cabin as the final people were coming in from Grand Turk. We had an OV cabin on Main Deck which was right above the boarding area. This guy was in line so we made a sign and put it by the window that said "Are U Cigar Dude??". Obviously it wasn't.

For the rest of the cruise when we saw that guy my boys would say, "there's Cigar Dude"..

Funny stuff.

There was a guy on there who looks just like you (at least from your pic on here).

For the rest of the cruise when we saw that guy my boys would say, "there's Cigar Dude"..

Funny stuff.

Poor fellow! I kinda feel sorry for him! :D

No, it wasn't me but...I'll be on the Fantasy's December 11th sailing! If you come back you'll meet the REAL Cigar Dude! :D;)

Nice...... we enjoyed the Fantasy. Most recently we sailed the larger ships (Glory and Valor). In my opinion I liked the Fantasy better. There are tons more open decks to walk on or sit out on which I like. My boys loved the water park.

Enjoy it.. I guess it's true, we all have a twin or at least someone out there who resembles us.

Just off fantasy as well, what a great time!!! I cant say enough about the crew and staff. Everyone we met went out of there way to ensure that we had a great time. Im in the same boat with Cigardude, i have and will continue to wear my black tux on formal night. Granted not many will wear them but i still enjoy the chance to.

We LOVE the fantasy here in Charleston!!

We have sailed on the Fantasy 9 or 10 times and I believe you will find that the amount of dressing up for formal nights has more to do with the embarkation port...than the ship.

However, with Carnival....folks can wear a tux or a Polo and Khakis on elegant night and no one is out of place.

So feel free to wear a tux if you want to OR a Polo and Khakis....it all works.

Just got off Fantasy yesterday. Had 2 elegant nights on the 6 night cruise. There were all extremes. Some families were VERY dressed up (but I think it was more to take advantage of the free photo sittings!) Others were just ok. My husband wore just a shirt and tie (no jacket) and we were fine. On one of the dining nights, I did see the hostess ask a man to at least put on long pants (he has shorts on)..but people still wore flip flops into dinner. It was the full range of outfits....

Archived