How Far is Uxmal and other questions?

globe9

Been to Progresso once before and the GF and I hopped the local bus to Meridia. LOVED it there but was thinking of doing the Uxmal ruins this time after seeing some pics on here.

How far away is Uxmal from the ship? We don't want to ride a bus for 2 to 3 hours each way. We were hoping Uxmal was closer to the ship.

Also, we don't mind booking excursions through independent tour companies. We know Carnival upcharges, sometimes more than 50% for their tours...sometimes, especially on a longer tour, it's worth it for peace of mind, but if Uxma is, hopefully, not that far away, we'd do an independent tour to save $$$.....should I book online or just on the pier?

If we book on pier, what time should we get off the ship? I believe we're in port from 7am to 4pm on a Wednesday(we'll be on the Carnival Triumph). What company should I use on the pier? How much can I expect to pay?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Uxmal, my favorite, is about 90 miles from Progreso. Compared to Chichen Itza, I find Uxmal to be more impressive, prettier and far less crowded. Highly recomended. AutoProgeso does a good job, based on reports here, and is much, much cheaper. Enjoy. Wear loose fitting clothes and a hat.

Uxmal is about 1.5hrs and there is a bried stop before arriving. AutoProgreso is the best way to travel at $49. We will be using them again in November. Here are some pics from my last trip: http://wdowns9.smugmug.com/Travel/Uxmal/11292367_5sxsh#792376230_Dii6d

Great pictures. On page 2 it looks like you took some pictures from the top of one of the structures. Is that correct? Do you remember which one? We are thinking of going here in November.

Sharon

Great pictures. On page 2 it looks like you took some pictures from the top of one of the structures. Is that correct? Do you remember which one? We are thinking of going here in November.

Sharon

Please go in Nov. We will be on your same cruise and we plan to go there.

The only structure that you can not climb is the Pyramid of the Magician which is the first thing you will see when you enter the grounds. The picture you are referencing is from the top of the Great Pyramid. As you walk around the Governor's Palace to will come to the side of the Great Pyramid partially on up so the climb will be easier, then you can climb to the bottom and go over to the House of The Doves before heading out. There were pently of iguanas of all different sizes. Be prepared for the heat with 2 bottles of water each.

Make sure you same some time to have some Xnipec Salsa (Dog Snout) "Mayan for "Dog's Breath" at the resturant on-site. It was truly be an experience.

Regional and traditional Mexican food. We had the salas with chips (they are not corn based) along with quesadillas as a snack for the ride back. We normally travel with additional snacks such as jerky and pringles. As long as you do not bring fruits/vegetables along with any unsealed foods you should be all right. No familar with gulten-free I would suggest traveling with familar items. They also have a bar with an ice cream place so I'm sure you will be covered. It is a long day considering you have to chow down at breakfast to depart at 9a and you should return around 230p-3p, it make for a hungry day. Some people on our bus were not prepared for this and skipped getting something to eat before we left the ruins so it was a long trip back of complaining.

If the bus trip sounds boring, from what I've read here, remember your onboard guide will be giving a talk about the Mayan culture and Uxmal, in particular and taking questions from those onboard.

Bus trip going to Uxmal is very informative with lots of information. The ride back is pretty relaxed as many people were sleeping. Guess either the heat or having to get up early was too much. No matter how you look at it this is one of the best trips for the price.

Thanks for correcting me, as the chips are not like the corn chips in the states that is why I didnt realize it was corn. I much prefer authentic foods not the ones that food they palm off a real. I'll eat Xnipec salsa, tortilla's along with other local specialities any day of the week. Unfortunately is hard to comment on different dietary requirements.

Thanks for correcting me, as the chips are not like the corn chips in the states that is why I didnt realize it was corn. I much prefer authentic foods not the ones that food they palm off a real. I'll eat Xnipec salsa, tortilla's along with other local specialities any day of the week. Unfortunately is hard to comment on different dietary requirements.

...and when you get your lips around a real hand made corn tortilla, you will never be able to eat store bought ones again! :)

Archived