Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Go for it, dude.

Well usually I look at the restaurant menu first and if there is nothing there that I would like I just look for someplace else to eat......don't want to come off as rude:D Afterall if the chef had to accommodate everyone that would be a total nightmare........but thanks anyways dudette.....

Oh, goodness, I really want to be of some assistance here, but that's a tough one. Please forgive any dofus answers on my part, as my intentions are noble . . . .

I'm one of the biggest 'cheerleaders' here on CruiseCritic for the Carnival steakhouses (i.e. supper clubs). While some will say it's a waste of onboard funds since the main dining room foods are already included in the cruise fare, I'll still eat in the steakhouse on any cruise that has it available, and multiple times at that.

The location, the service, the presentation, the meal . . . all superb (and memorable). But when I arrive there, I've put no limitations on my menu choices. Some items I've tried and loved, so I do them repeatedly. One or two I've tried and enjoyed, but just less than the others, so I probably won't attempt those again.

Each wonderful item that comes to mind now, I'm thinking, "Well, maybe they could consider this, well, no . . . maybe not". Since I'm not vagan myself, and don't know what borders on being acceptable/unacceptable, I can say that if you did speak with the steakhouse hostess in advance (and they've all been super wonderful to me), they could suggest the best possible options from their limited menu. Perhaps a few menu items might be acceptable to you with minor variations on the way they're prepared. The spinich salad with mushrooms is excellent, and if he can consider a shellfish option, the shrimp cocktail or crab cake starter are also fantastic.

Since it sounds like the "do something special" is a top priority, then, by all means, give the steakhouse a full consideration. You may not leave there feeling as full as the majority of us do (self definitely included), but you will certainly leave the lovely restaurant thinking you've done something special.

Also, there have been occasions where one of the "chef compliments" being used for the evening would satisfy your personal dietary restrictions . . . and perhaps they'd be willing to offer that item to you in a larger portion. I've personally experienced that 'exception', so it wouldn't hurt to ask. I would just encourage you to approach the steakhouse hostess on embarkation day and lay it on the line of what you are looking for -- my gut feeling is that they will have something to offer you that meets your needs.

Have a wonderful cruise, and a vegan Bon Appetit!!!! :) :)

Thank you for taking the time to really understand the significance of it being a special occasion. Being vegan in a omnivore world, I've eaten 30 dollar bowls of lettuce and done it happily for the sake of the social occasion. Your answer was very sweet.

Well usually I look at the restaurant menu first and if there is nothing there that I would like I just look for someplace else to eat......don't want to come off as rude:D Afterall if the chef had to accomodate everyone that would be a total nightmare........but thanks anyways dudette.....

Are you really and truly suggesting it's rude to ask?

I am glad to see some sensible answers, all she asked was what is available as it is a special occasion and she wants to go with her husband. I, myself am a confirmed carnivor (blue rare to be precise) but I know that there is a lot that she will be able to eat. Many people will take children and order chicken fingers for them so if they will be accommodated I am sure she can be.

Let me try to help.....Contact the reservation department for the Steakhouse on the ship you are sailing via e-mail. Ask if they would still make you a "mushroom strudel" that they used to have on the menu as an entree...

You could have the Grilled portobello mushroom for and app. Then a salad and if they will make the strudel you got it made....Also there are many side dishes that would work along with you meal....

Have a great anniversary....

These might be cooked in butter. You would have to make sure they would be cooked in veg/olive oil.

That's all that's there?

No, they have other animals that they serve along with lots and lots of butter and cream.

The OP said VEGAN. That means NOTHING from any animal of any kind. Includes not wearing fur and leather or any product from an animal. Way past vegetarian.

I think all you people assuming OP is an idiot for expecting non-steak at a steakhouse are completely missing her question.

She wants to go do something special on a cruiseship, and the steakhouses are sometimes the only option. She's probably read on here that they have great service and the experience is wonderful and worth the extra $$. She's not asking how they could possibly think of serving cows when she clearly doesn't eat them. She's asking whether you think she could scrounge up enough food to warrant the price.

Sorry, OP, I don't have an answer for you, as I have never eaten at the steakhouses. But, I'm a newbie vegetarian, so I get it. What's great is when people tell you "oh, you don't eat meat, well they have chicken and fish." :)

No, they have other animals that they serve along with lots and lots of butter and cream.

The OP said VEGAN. That means NOTHING from any animal of any kind. Includes not wearing fur and leather or any product from an animal. Way past vegetarian.

Don't forget buttons and plastic pen cases are made from the casein from cow's milk.

I think all you people assuming OP is an idiot for expecting non-steak at a steakhouse are completely missing her question.

She wants to go do something special on a cruiseship, and the steakhouses are sometimes the only option. She's probably read on here that they have great service and the experience is wonderful and worth the extra $$. She's not asking how they could possibly think of serving cows when she clearly doesn't eat them. She's asking whether you think she could scrounge up enough food to warrant the price.

Sorry, OP, I don't have an answer for you, as I have never eaten at the steakhouses. But, I'm a newbie vegetarian, so I get it. What's great is when people tell you "oh, you don't eat meat, well they have chicken and fish." :)

Then you would have no problem finding something on the menu in the steakhouse....op is vegan not vegetarian;) And stop assuming.....

The steakhouse is not the only option to do something special on a cruise vacation:rolleyes:

Our anniversary will be celebrated during our cruise and my husband would like to do something special. We are both vegans, though my husband relaxes it a bit when we are out and will occasionally eat fish or shellfish. I don't.

So, while I have studied mdr menus and figured out my options, I looked at the steakhouse menu and it doesn't look like it would be worth the $30 for the very little I'd be able to eat, though husband looks like he'd be okay.

I guess I was just wondering if the chef ever goes off menu to accommodate a vegan?

As some others have suggested, speak directly with the chef of the steakhouse and see if he can accommodate your needs. You may have to switch to vegetarian versus pure vegan, but that'll be your choice. I'm not vegan/vegetarian (there is a difference, folks), but I know the MDR can and does prepare vegan dishes for passengers.

If the chef can't prepare a menu to fit your needs, look at some of your ports of call and choose a nice vegan restaurant there for your celebration...might not be at night. For example, in Cozumel, Rock N Java has a wide range of vegan/vegetarian dishes as does the chinese restaurant "Chi", where the chef will cook to your specifications and the rice isn't cooked with chicken stock. http://www.chicozumel.com/ You can contact Kelly at http://www.cozumelconcierge.com , she lives there and is a vegetarian so she'll know some choices.

Then you would have no problem finding something on the menu in the steakhouse....op is vegan not vegetarian;) And stop assuming.....

The steakhouse is not the only option to do something special on a cruise vacation:rolleyes:

I was simply commiserating with her because I get a lot of snide remarks just being vegetarian, so I can't imagine being vegan and taking people's crap.

And if you'll look, I said SOMETIMES the only option. On my cruise last year, it WAS the only option besides the MDR.

You'd think you'd be a lot less uptight given your screen name.

I was simply commiserating with her because I get a lot of snide remarks just being vegetarian, so I can't imagine being vegan and taking people's crap.

And if you'll look, I said SOMETIMES the only option. On my cruise last year, it WAS the only option besides the MDR.

You'd think you'd be a lot less uptight given your screen name.

OP, please ignore the rude comments!

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, hubby is a full-fledged carnivore. I completely understand what you are asking, why you'd like to eat there, and your concerns about the limited options for yourself.

As others have suggested, try speaking to the chef directly. I'm sure they can accomodate you and, like you said, might even enjoy the challenge!

I have vegan friends. Although I don't understand it, I really don't care. What I can't understand, is the question. Why would you pay the upcharge that is primary for the extra cost of the great cuts of meat?

No salad, is worth $60.00! Even if the chef does it nice, it's not worth the money.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, hubby is a full-fledged carnivore. I completely understand what you are asking, why you'd like to eat there, and your concerns about the limited options for yourself.

As others have suggested, try speaking to the chef directly. I'm sure they can accomodate you and, like you said, might even enjoy the challenge!

I'm sure that accommodating someone with a self imposed dietary restrictions is right at the top his fun list. You are going to a STEAKHOUSE! I don't go to a church and expect a secular talk.

May the hubby get a steak, baked potato with sour cream and butter and creamed spinach at your vegan restaurant???

OMG

I didn't read all the responses...got through about 10 before I got fed up with the remarks.

I understand you wanting a nicer dining experience, a change of pace from the MDR. I don't know if CCL will accomodate your request BUT it certainly can not hurt to ask. I honestly think they'll do it. They bend over backwards for other special requests so why not this one?

good luck and have a nice cruise :)

Um why not just go somewhere else other than a steakhouse.

I'm allergic to shellfish so I dont go into a red lobster (even tho I love the chedder biscuits.)

Not trying to be an arse just seems weird to want to go to a steakhouse and your vegan.

Ummmm.....the OP indicated they're celebrating their anniversary. Maybe it's not as much about the food as it is the experience and the "romance" of an intimate setting, intimate dinner. ;)

Archived