If You're Leaving From Seattle

KAYEF

If you are leaving from Seattle.......especially if you are going on the Repo through the Panama Canal, you would really appreciate a visit to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. The Locks used to be touted as the second largest on our continent (largest being P.C.).

You can google them, using the name I have above. Not only are the locks amazing to watch, you can walk across them for a different perspective and you can also walk to their Fish Ladder. The grounds are VERY beautiful...........trees, flowers, shrubs from all over the world. If you have kids, it's FUN rolling down the terraced grass. (Can you tell I grew up within walking distance?;))

If you plan to take a "Harbor Tour" aboard a boat, there is one tour that will take you through the Locks for yet another perspective.

The Locks are in Ballard, across the Ballard Bridge. On the south side of that bridge is a huge Marina; some of the D.C. boats dock there during their down time ie: NORTHWESTERN, Sig's boat.

It's a fun place to buy fish and chips and sit outside in the SUNSHINE and watch the boats.

I don't know why these Locks aren't touted more by Seattle's Tourist Board; they are a treasure and a real place to learn.:)

For those in the Portland area if you ever want to start a cruising group and meet up 2 to 4 times a year and talk about cruising let me know. I know of a group that does this in Vegas. We could meet a restaurant or pizza place (informal). We meet up with a few others now.

It's cool to see out of towners recommending "our" locks. That's one of my very favorite places in Seattle, it's a true treasure. Plan to spend at least 2 hours there, preferably 3 if the salmon ladder interests you.

As I said, I grew up within walking distance.............lived above Ray's Boathouse when it WAS a boat house!

I got so tired of always taking company to "the Locks" but once I left to go to college, I realized what a VIEW I'd had all my life and what an amazing thing the Locks were!;)

I just don't understand why Seattle doesn't tout them more; they're a marvel as are the botanical gardens there.

BTW, as far as I'm concerned I'm not an out-of-towner; I'm still a Ballardite.:)

For those in the Portland area if you ever want to start a cruising group and meet up 2 to 4 times a year and talk about cruising let me know. I know of a group that does this in Vegas. We could meet a restaurant or pizza place (informal). We meet up with a few others now.

That sounds like fun................I live in Fairview Village, out Gresham way................leaving this weekend for the new HAL itinerary ..........14 days all the way to Kodiak Island and up Cook Inlet to Anchorage.:)

Compleatly off subject but since I have some locals here I thought I might ask. I am in search of a good TA. We booked our cruise with some place my mom found online and I am not happy with the experience. Anyone have a TA they love? I don't want to break any rules on this board so if you have any suggestions could you email me them please. Thanks in advance.

KSBoles@hotmail.com

Hello,

Hope everyone has checked on a possible price drop on your cruise.

email me at gayle.r.shriver@state.or.us we are in the Clackamas area and another couple are in Troutdale. We should try to meet next month after KAYEF gets back, we can hear all about the cruise.

KAYEF when you are back let us know.

Anyone know of a restaurant we could meet at, at Cascade Station Mall by the airport, would be central to most everyone. Haven't been over there in a few months.

Seadeck2

Archived