just returned from Avalon Danube on Tapestry

cam222mie

Just came back from Budapest to Prague on the Tapestry.

If you have any questions just post. In the meantime, a couple of personal observations:

Extra cost for the top floor cabins were not worth it unless you want to really splurge on a suite. There are great views from the middle deck (2nd floor) We liked being far enough back that we weren't disturbed by any noise in the lobby but close enough that the walk to the lounge and dining room were easy. Room 211.

The trip from Budapest to Prague goes up-river. Prague to Budapest goes down-river. Down is much faster and the itinerary is different.

Three nights in Budapest is enough. Four or five in Prague is adequate.

There is plenty of food! Coffee and fruit is available 'round the clock.

No need to buy water, tap water is fine.

We took a credit from Globus for the land portion and booked all hotel stays on our own. Saved a LOT! Details on request.

We were asked to turn in requests for optional tours in the first day or two. Looking back, we subscribed to too many and probably would have had no problem asking to join any of them the day before. The two that fill up quickest are probably the symphony and Schonbrunn Palace. Both are worth it. Czesky Krumlov was pretty. Not sure the rest were necessary unless you're really into the history.

We loved the calmness of this trip except for the occasional disorganization of the bus tours. Once we got started, all the guides were great. Be careful which bus you get on!

All in all, a great trip!

We'll be on the same itinerary on the Tranquility in Oct. We are so looking forward to it. Were there strong hair dryers? How about shampoo/conditioner/soap? We are on the bottom deck in 103...saving money!

Did you stay at the same hotels as the other passengers in Budapest and Prague?

Thank you...I'm sure I'll think of more questions..

I can't be much help about the hair dryer (didn't use it) and the shampoo (I took it from the hotel which used L'Ocitaine - very good.) About the hotels: We took a $1700 credit for the 2 of us from Globus for the 5 hotel nights (Prague and Budapest). I used points for air so ended up staying a total of 9 nights (4 Budapest, 5 Prague). It was less than $1000 for 9 nights in two

5-star hotels, the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest and the Marriott in Old Town in Prague. I used Priceline for Budapest (5* hotel requested near the bridge) and called the Marriott directly for Prague, asking for the non-refundable, charge on-the-spot rate. (With insurance, the hotel is covered if the trip is cancelled so we were covered.) $81 for the Sofitel per night, $104 for the Marriott, plus tax. Upgraded the Sofitel upon arrival for the view of the bridge. Worth every penny! Add in about $400 for trans. for two between Nuremberg and Prague. Stephen Shirley is the Travel Agent at Vacations to Go. He made all the cruise arrangements.. Very patient and generous with the discounts. Met every other company's discounts.

(if you can manage it, IMHO, I'd go for the cabin with the full glass slider instead of the window. It opens and the view is worth it.

If you need anything else, please post.

I was told there was no optional tour to Cesky Krumlov. Can you tell me how it was and how much was the tour.

Thanks

I don't think the Cesky tour was in the pre-trip book but it was offered and I don't remember the price exactly but you can plan on around 50-60 Euro's per person, my best guess. It was a pretty town and we enjoyed it.

Thanks Cam...we are so excited about this trip. I had heard so much about Cesky Krumlov and was disappointed until I read your post. Even Rick Steves said it is his favorite town in the Czech Republic.

Did you use the WiFi service at all ? I am taking my i-Pad because we are getting a new grandchild on July 30th and I will want daily pictures. I am hoping it works well.

I thought this might be a stop on the way to Prague from Nurnberg. I read that it was on AMA. Did you have about half a day in each port after the official tour? Did you go back to the ship for lunch or stay in town? How did you get back to the ship if you stayed in town on your own in the larger cities?

We are going Sept 16/10 on this trip!

I think you're still asking about Cesky, yes? If so, I know that when we were in Prague, tour companies offered it as a side tour. (don't remember the details but needs checking out in advance if you do that) We did Cesky as an optional tour during our trip before getting to Nuremberg so we were still on the boat. I believe it is equidistant. If I knew that, I might have waited until we got to Prague.

Would have driven from Nuremburg to Prague but it's 2 countries and renting a car was complicated, so we just paid to stay with the group on the bus - arranged that in advance. (Some people took the train and I think they needed a cab from arrival in Nuremberg to the train station. Tour guide probably arranged it.)

Once we got on the bus at Nuremberg we made a bathroom stop (could buy sandwich or snacks) and drove straight to Prague. It was about 3 hours in total, I think. We officially left the tour when we arrived in Prague (since we didn't take the land portion) but those who went on it could've signed up in advance for optional Jewish Tour when we hit Prague, and went on the included city tour the next day. (FYI - we did Jewish Tour on our own. Just bought tickets when we got there.)

After the included or optional tours, there was usually time to explore on our own. We always got instructions for easily getting back to the boat. Very good at explaining time available and optional things to do. Could always get back to the boat for an included lunch.

Thank you for all of the info. We are going to stick with the lower level cabin as it is saving us $1,000, which is a lot of money to us...perhaps we can do an extra excursion as you suggested...Cesky sounds great.

Judie, will you update when you get back to let me know if it is offered? If not we could do it from Prague as cam suggests.

Since we are neophytes at river cruising we did the whole enchilada with Avalon....we knew we could save money doing it the way you did, cam, but we were a bit nervous about the transfers, luggage, etc....maybe next time we'll get brave. We know we paid a premium, but hopefully it will be worth it in peace of mind (and my husband not stressing!!)

The wifi sounds reasonable, I'll bring my laptop (I was planning on bringing it even to upload pictures as we go along).

Our final payment is due next week....it is becoming very real now!!

Thank you for all of the info. We are going to stick with the lower level cabin as it is saving us $1,000, which is a lot of money to us...perhaps we can do an extra excursion as you suggested...Cesky sounds great.

Judie, will you update when you get back to let me know if it is offered? If not we could do it from Prague as cam suggests.

Since we are neophytes at river cruising we did the whole enchilada with Avalon....we knew we could save money doing it the way you did, cam, but we were a bit nervous about the transfers, luggage, etc....maybe next time we'll get brave. We know we paid a premium, but hopefully it will be worth it in peace of mind (and my husband not stressing!!)

The wifi sounds reasonable, I'll bring my laptop (I was planning on bringing it even to upload pictures as we go along).

Our final payment is due next week....it is becoming very real now!!

Hi Strechcruz....I will definitely let you know what was offered. We,like you,are novices when it comes to river cruises so we kind of went along with what our t/a suggested. Probably could have saved some money doing it like Cam but we took the path of least resistance. Maybe next time we will be braver .

Extra cost for the top floor cabins were not worth it unless you want to really splurge on a suite. There are great views from the middle deck (2nd floor) We liked being far enough back that we weren't disturbed by any noise in the lobby but close enough that the walk to the lounge and dining room were easy. Room 211.

Ha! I just posted my review of our cruise on Avalon "Scenery" and then I read your comment quoted above. Completely agree, see my review. Also agree that the french "balconies" are worth it.

By the way, how do you work out which bus to avoid on tours, haha? We have got stuck with dud guides too often, which is why we now like to do our own thing...

Actually, was remembering four women who went to the wrong place. Guide announced it but they were excited, talking, etc. Worth being extra careful. My only criticism of our Avalon guide is they could have been more organized about sending people out on tour. City guides were very knowledgeable, only one a little hard to understand but the portable hearing devices are terrific. We even heard ours in the bathrooms!

A little advice for first time cruiser who might be nervous about getting around: we were the same way on our early trips. Eventuallly, drove through France for 3 weeks based solely on advice from people on the AOL travel board. Really!!! Husband regretted needing to pay attention to the road while I enjoyed the scenery but DH gives "anal retentive" new meaning and even he loved it.

As far as river cruises go, there is always someone at the desk, the dining table or your cruise director to get you around. There are always cabs if you stay at a different hotel and the PRE-cruise info tells you how to contact your guide as soon as you arrive. I was happier at the Marriott in Old Town in Prague than those who had to walk 20 minutes from the Hilton. On previous trips we never ate where the group did. Kill an hour or two in a town then back on the bus? Waste of time. Grab a sandwhich from a stand and walk the streets, talk to the people. Take buses and trains out of town, peek in windows. You'll have many more memories.

Don't mean to preach but this is the advice we got ... and now always take. It was good advice.

Actually, was remembering four women who went to the wrong place. Guide announced it but they were excited, talking, etc. Worth being extra careful. My only criticism of our Avalon guide is they could have been more organized about sending people out on tour. City guides were very knowledgeable, only one a little hard to understand but the portable hearing devices are terrific. We even heard ours in the bathrooms!

A little advice for first time cruiser who might be nervous about getting around: we were the same way on our early trips. Eventuallly, drove through France for 3 weeks based solely on advice from people on the AOL travel board. Really!!! Husband regretted needing to pay attention to the road while I enjoyed the scenery but DH gives "anal retentive" new meaning and even he loved it.

As far as river cruises go, there is always someone at the desk, the dining table or your cruise director to get you around. There are always cabs if you stay at a different hotel and the PRE-cruise info tells you how to contact your guide as soon as you arrive. I was happier at the Marriott in Old Town in Prague than those who had to walk 20 minutes from the Hilton. On previous trips we never ate where the group did. Kill an hour or two in a town then back on the bus? Waste of time. Grab a sandwhich from a stand and walk the streets, talk to the people. Take buses and trains out of town, peek in windows. You'll have many more memories.

Don't mean to preach but this is the advice we got ... and now always take. It was good advice.

Your font is so small it is really quite difficult to read.

Actually, was remembering four women who went to the wrong place. .

Ha! I thought you had some magic formula for avoiding the boring guide who drones on and on, or stands in front of what they are trying to show you, or who rushes past things you are really interested in, or who stands in the boiling hot sun while droning on and on, or who loses a few people from the group along the way, or who spends twice the time in a shop as in an interesting museum etc etc...

Scarred by many past "guided" experiences like this and more, we do a lot of reading beforehand, carry a good guidebook, and prefer to see things at our own pace. Having said that, I do agree that the portable hearing devices are great and even get around some of the problems listed above (eg you can at least seek out some shade while listening to the guide.) Like you, we are comfortable with getting ourselves around, and in fact after our recent French river cruise we drove around France for a few weeks (not the first time.) It's great if you are able to do something independently. Even skipping a shore excursion (on river or ocean cruises) in favour of individual exploration gives you more time to see exactly what interests you, rather than travelling in a group which slows you down.

As for pre-cruise hotels, many CC'ers already seem to choose their own, rather than the tour company one. For cost or other reasons it's worth considering. We did on this recent French cruise, as the tour hotel in Paris was less central then the one where we stayed. It was very easy get a cab to to meet up with the group at the tour hotel on departure day, and our hotel was similarly priced.

Judie, thank you!!

As far as "doing our own thing"...we have always done so on our big ship cruises, did a lot of research and booked our own tour guides and vans. On our transatlantic it worked great....saw so much more than the "big bus" people at half the cost...we had 4 other people to share expenses with as well. Since the tours are included on this river cruise and we're going on our own, we're going to do them (as of now), and then do our own thing in the afternoons as you all suggest. I'm going to go on Amazon and order some guide books.....I usually like Rick Steves...any other suggestions? We're doing Budapest to Prague.

Thank you!!!

Szentendre was easy to get to and was billed as an "artsy" community near Budapest. Sadly, it is not. It is a rather plain town with a lot of curio shops - not much to buy and no real art to speak of. Not a bad way to kill a few hours but I think you could do better.

An optional Avalon tour on the way to Prague was a bus to a barge down a narrow part of the Danube to an Abbey. (Don't remember which but just remember "narrow" and "abbey" in the description.) Be aware that the barge part is just sitting on benches about 45 min. in a non-air conditioned area. There is a top deck that's open and narrow areas along the sides of the enclosed area where you can get a breeze. We took this on a very hot day and I don't recommend it unless the weather is nice. No air moves inside, at all. Also, didn't think it was worth the cost.

Judie, thank you!!

I'm going to go on Amazon and order some guide books.....I usually like Rick Steves...any other suggestions? We're doing Budapest to Prague.

Thank you!!!

Rick Steves guides are great - more difficult to get here in Oz, though. I like the DK Eyewitness Travel Guides - great illustrations. Though less useful for hotel & restaurant suggestions.

Just came back from Budapest to Prague on the Tapestry.

If you have any questions just post. In the meantime, a couple of personal observations:

The trip from Budapest to Prague goes up-river. Prague to Budapest goes down-river. Down is much faster and the itinerary is different.

Three nights in Budapest is enough. Four or five in Prague is adequate.

There is plenty of food! Coffee and fruit is available 'round the clock.

No need to buy water, tap water is fine.

We took a credit from Globus for the land portion and booked all hotel stays on our own. Saved a LOT! Details on request.

We were asked to turn in requests for optional tours in the first day or two. Looking back, we subscribed to too many and probably would have had no problem asking to join any of them the day before. The two that fill up quickest are probably the symphony and Schonbrunn Palace. Both are worth it. Czesky Krumlov was pretty. Not sure the rest were necessary unless you're really into the history.

We loved the calmness of this trip except for the occasional disorganization of the bus tours. Once we got started, all the guides were great. Be careful which bus you get on!

All in all, a great trip!

What were your hotels in Prague and Budapest? I think I will do our optionals to save some money.

What were your hotels in Prague and Budapest? .

I copied the following from an earlier post of mine. If you take credits for the land/hotel portion, make sure you know how to deal with trans. for where cruise begins and ends for your city ports. In Budapest you are right at the boat from the Intercontinental and Sofitel. I bought trans. from our travel agent before leaving home, for the nuremberg to Prague trip since renting a car was impractical.

( FYI *** I don't believe our guide wouldv'e known our tour ended in Nuremberg and we could have just gotten on the bus, and saved $400. Someone else said just offer him some money. probably would work but not for the faint of heart. )

from earlier message:

:We took a $1700 credit for the 2 of us from Globus for the 5 hotel nights (Prague and Budapest). Ended up staying a total of 9 nights (4 Budapest, 5 Prague). It was around $1000 for 9 nights in two

5-star hotels, the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest and the Marriott in Old Town in Prague. I used Priceline for Budapest (5* hotel requested near the bridge, Stare Mesto area) and called the Marriott Old Town directly for Prague, asking for the non-refundable, charge on-the-spot rate. (With insurance, the hotel is covered if the trip is cancelled so we were covered.) $81 for the Sofitel per night, $104 for the Marriott, plus tax for both. Upgraded the Sofitel upon arrival for the view of the bridge. Worth every penny! Good site to check before going to priceline - biddingfortravel.com

be cautious with the taxi's =Airport Rates in Budapest are fixed, discuss with the man in charge before getting in and confirm with the driver. No additional baggage charge, round up for tip. rates offered by the Prague hotel limo's is a third to a half higher than just having the concierge call for acab. MORE IMPORTANT - the cab can take you to the curb at the airport in Prague. The hotel limo only got us across the street and we had to wheel our own bags. Not terrible but why pay more for that?

Judie, thank you!!

As far as "doing our own thing"...we have always done so on our big ship cruises, did a lot of research and booked our own tour guides and vans. On our transatlantic it worked great....saw so much more than the "big bus" people at half the cost...we had 4 other people to share expenses with as well. Since the tours are included on this river cruise and we're going on our own, we're going to do them (as of now), and then do our own thing in the afternoons as you all suggest. I'm going to go on Amazon and order some guide books.....I usually like Rick Steves...any other suggestions? We're doing Budapest to Prague.

Thank you!!!

We bought 2 books...Rick Steves Budapest and DK Eyewitness Trvel Top 10 Prague...that one is very informative ...guide to the best 10 of everything from restaurants to museums to liveliest bars and clubs. Great maps also.

Archived