"Autism" medical gear?

krisnme

I was "preplanning" my packing for an Oct cruise on the freedom when it occurred to me that my DS has a lot of "necessities" that are really heavy when added up. I plan to take 1 med size suitcase for each of us but then need to also take his AFO's, buckwheat pillow, fleece blanket, special snacks etc. Does anyone know if I can mark these "medical supplies" or "special needs" and avoid paying for an additional suitcase? on our last flight we actually carried the pillow and blanket but they are very bulky. Would I need a Dr.s note that these are necessary for his health? He will travel with his wheelchair so it will be obvious he has special needs, It would just make the trip easier if I could pack these. Thanks.

I was "preplanning" my packing for an Oct cruise on the freedom when it occurred to me that my DS has a lot of "necessities" that are really heavy when added up. I plan to take 1 med size suitcase for each of us but then need to also take his AFO's, buckwheat pillow, fleece blanket, special snacks etc. Does anyone know if I can mark these "medical supplies" or "special needs" and avoid paying for an additional suitcase? on our last flight we actually carried the pillow and blanket but they are very bulky. Would I need a Dr.s note that these are necessary for his health? He will travel with his wheelchair so it will be obvious he has special needs, It would just make the trip easier if I could pack these. Thanks.

Fully understand you don't want the additional cost. However in the scope of things paying the extra package fee is a small price to pay for comfort and ease . Particularly after what you have already invested in the cost of the cruise and flights. Suggest you might ask his doctor if he/she would give you a letter stating that that these items are medically necessary for the well being of your son. Worth a try.

You shouldn't have a problem bringing them on, just tell whoever checks you in that the bag is medical baggage. Just remember that it can ONLY contain medical items; if you put any item inside it that isn't medical, such as an extra set of clothes for your son, it isn't a medical bag and you have to pay the baggage fee for it.

If you're bringing it as carry-on, it does still have to fit within the size requirements of carry-on luggage. It just doesn't count towards your son's carry-on limit (unless, of course, you put non-medical items in it).

If you're checking the bag, call your airline and ask if that means you have to use the in-person check-in instead of a kiosk or online check-in because it is a special bag.

If the check-in person refuses to put the bag through as a medical bag and you can't carry it on, pay the fee and dispute it with the airline (write to them/e-mail them) when you get home. Some airline employees aren't well-trained in the rules and regulations and then, of course, there are the ones who just are grumpy and mean towards people.

If the check-in person refuses to put the bag through as a medical bag and you can't carry it on, pay the fee and dispute it with the airline (write to them/e-mail them) when you get home. Some airline employees aren't well-trained in the rules and regulations and then, of course, there are the ones who just are grumpy and mean towards people.

Rather than trying to dispute the fee when you return home, tell the agent that you want to speak to the CRO - Conflict Resolution Officier for the airlines. Most agents don't want the issue/complaint to go that far and just nicely demanding to speak to the CRO- Conflict Resulution Officer , in most cases, will generally do the job.

Just remember that it can ONLY contain medical items; if you put any item inside it that isn't medical, such as an extra set of clothes for your son, it isn't a medical bag and you have to pay the baggage fee for it..

I guess thats the real question I have.. will they consider a heavy pillow, blanket and assorted protein bars and other snacks "medical items"? I will probably stow his AFO's (splints from knee to foot) in there as they are uncomfortable to wear on a plane. Its not that I can't pay the baggage fee if necessary, but I would once again just carry items if its expensive.

I typically use American airlines where I am charged $25.00 for a bag under 50 lbs. They have never charged me for flying my scooter or cpap machine. I keep the cpap with me as a carry on and let the scooter go as luggage. The scooter case is really a hard sided golf case and I have been asked to open it but once they see the scooter it is good. Whether or not that would happen with snack bars if they are not like special nutrient things would depend on how the CRO officer viewed them. The case might never be opened.

Rather than trying to dispute the fee when you return home, tell the agent that you want to speak to the CRO - Conflict Resolution Officier for the airlines. Most agents don't want the issue/complaint to go that far and just nicely demanding to speak to the CRO- Conflict Resulution Officer , in most cases, will generally do the job.

True. I just always forget about the CRO - including when I posted my previous message! :p

I guess thats the real question I have.. will they consider a heavy pillow, blanket and assorted protein bars and other snacks "medical items"? I will probably stow his AFO's (splints from knee to foot) in there as they are uncomfortable to wear on a plane. Its not that I can't pay the baggage fee if necessary, but I would once again just carry items if its expensive.

Snacks would make the bag non-medical, unless you're talking about some type of medical-related food your son needs to have (if so, never refer to them as "snacks", especially in front of ppl of decision whether or not you can bring them/a bag with them with you somewhere). The splints are obviously medical equipment and, if your son requires the other items as medical devices, those would be, too. Whether or not something is medical equipment depends on the disabled person's needs, not necessarily on what the items themselves are.

If your son wouldn't need to bring those items with him if he didn't have his medical issues, then charging for them isn't right. If he would still bring them with him (i.e. a comfort blanket or his pillow from home 'cause he likes it better than other pillows, snacks because he chooses to be a picky eater [nothing to do with a medical condition], etc.), that bag would have a bag fee.

I typically use American airlines where I am charged $25.00 for a bag under 50 lbs. They have never charged me for flying my scooter or cpap machine. I keep the cpap with me as a carry on and let the scooter go as luggage. The scooter case is really a hard sided golf case and I have been asked to open it but once they see the scooter it is good. Whether or not that would happen with snack bars if they are not like special nutrient things would depend on how the CRO officer viewed them. The case might never be opened.

They likely open your case since they think you might be sneaking on a set of golf clubs - not a huge surprise, I'm sure you agree.

And, yes, definitely bring CPAPs and similar machinery as carry-on on both plane and ship! I've read on here about ppl checking them/thinking of checking them! :eek: Not a good idea if you want them to stay in one piece.

They've never asked me to open my medical baggage, but once or twice have asked what is in it/to confirm that it only contains medical items (not "trying to sneak on an extra suit", as one lady said).

Thanks everyone! I guess I could just spread out our things over 2 suitcases, that way if one gets lost we at least have some clothes. I will try a duffel with his splints and pillow if they put me over the weight limit (could always carry it on) but he says he wants to use the blanket on the plane. his snacks are just protein-calorie bars, he has a hard time getting enough calories. I usually try to pack as few bags as possible since I have to deal with the wheelchair too.

The blanket will be fine as a carry-on. You can pack the snacks in a regular suitcase if you want/need to. I have medically-necessary drinks that I must bring with me and I always pack them in my personal suitcase for ease and for protection from the baggage handlers (they're less likely to break when in the middle of clothes than if they were in my medical accessories bag, where containers have been broken by the baggage handlers' rough handling before).

If you need an additional bag, don't worry about it. Lots of us do!

Archived