Non-cruise vacation

beckymomof2

My husband and I went on a cruise together a couple years ago and really loved it. This last trip we took our kids and had some other family go with us. This next trip we want to go to an all-inclusive resort instead of a cruise. I was hoping someone might have some resort suggestions to families with kids.

It's going to be expensive to go the Caribbean with kids if you live in Alaska. This summer, we are taking the kids to Hawaii and rented a condo, using VRBO.com. Have you considered that, instead of an all-inclusive?

We went to Beaches resort in Negril, Jamaica with our daughter four years ago. She was 9 at the time. We have been on many vacations since (Disney, 3 cruises, etc.) but she says that nothing beats her time in Jamaica. It was absolutely the best. She loved the kids club. I had to beg her to come to dinner with us for at least one night so that I could get a family picture. Children of all ages were in kids club and constantly kept happily busy. Beaches is made for children with the Sesame Character theme. Many of the people that we met there were yearly returning guests, although a few told us that nothing beats the Beaches resort in Turks and Caicos. It is a bit expensive but well worth the money.

Depends on the ages of the kids.

Franklin D in Jamaica is supposed to be wonderful for families with toddlers, since every family gets their own personal nanny that helps care for the children throughout most of the day (taking them to camp, watching them at the pool, doing crafts, etc.)

Slightly older kids might like the Beaches (Jamaica, Turks and Caicos) resorts with their Sesame Street themed children's programs.

Older kids would enjoy just hanging out at the giant pools, playing paintball or something at one of the Palace Resorts in Mexico... or a spray park at one of the all-inclusives in the Dominican Republic.

There are a lot of land based all-inclusives, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but there's a very broad range of options to consider. Cruising is a little easier in that respect.

Beaches Turks and Caicos is on my short list too, but haven't been yet.

We have been to Club Med in Punta Cana and Ixtapa. Both were great for different reasons. The kids club blows away any sea based club we've seen. The food is also way better than any cruise we've been on and we love that it is really truly all-inclusive.

Depends on the ages of the kids.

Franklin D in Jamaica is supposed to be wonderful for families with toddlers, since every family gets their own personal nanny that helps care for the children throughout most of the day (taking them to camp, watching them at the pool, doing crafts, etc.)

when we went, our kids were actually between 8-14. we weren't sure they would like the whole "nanny" thing. but they fell in love with her and wanted her to come with us to dunn's river falls. they "hung out" with her everyday and did everything with her.....

i think they assign a nanny based upon the ages of your kids. every excursion we went on, the kids wanted her to go. she went swimming with them, they made t-shirts, they had a blast. she became one of the family to us. we actually paid her to "babysit" after hours - that's how they really make their money - just to hang out with the kids....

they still talk about Athena... we have family pictures with her in them. it was a great vacation!!

Archived