First Time Tampa Cruisers

4wheelr

Hi all -

I have a couple questions and I have done searches on the board as well, but am hoping for a little input.

I just booked a 5-day cruise on Carnival Inspiration for February 26, 2011 as a surprise b-day gift for my wife. I was able to book a porthole room for $309 per person on the Empress deck. We both really dislike inside staterooms. Usually we book oceanview staterooms, but I am pretty happy with that price and at least there will be some natural light in the cabin. We will be spending her b-day (March 2nd) at sea. The ports of call are Cozumel (which we love) and Grand Cayman (have wanted to visit there).

The goal is to do this as inexpensively as possible since I need to keep this a surprise until February. I booked the air fair for both of us on US Airways for $130 total since I used my Dividend Miles. We're live in Ohio and February can be a crap-shoot with regards to weather so I booked the flight a day early just in case.

Anyway, the ship leaves from Tampa. I've never been to Tampa as we typically sail out of Miami or Port Canaveral.

Here are my questions:

** Our flight arrives in Tampa on Friday, the 25th at 9:30 in the MORNING. I couldn't get anything later since we are flying on miles. Ideally, I need a hotel in Tampa that has shuttle to the pier and airport and is located near something fun we can fill the day on Friday with. I have a feeling I am asking for a lot here....

** Speaking of Tampa, any good suggestions for a Friday in February?? I know about the aquarium and zoo, but that would not be our first choice. ( I really despise zoos :cool:)

** Is there easy and efficient public transportation (other than taxis) in Tampa?

** Regarding Grand Cayman... can anyone share an excursion they have done that was awesome and they would highly recommend?

Thanks for your input...or anything else you care to share. If I can keep this a secret until February, I'll surprise myself :D

-T

There are a number of reasonably priced hotels near the cruise port that offer shuttles to the port but not to the airport and there are a number of reasoanbly priced hotels near the airport that offer shuttles to the airport but not the cruise port. Hilton Garden and Hampton Inn in Ybor City, and Embassy Suites Downtown convention center come to mind for near the cruise port. Double Tree at Westshore is one of several near the airport. You'll have to grab a taxi ($20-$25) for the connection. If you stay downtown or in Ybor City, you are very near or on the streetcar/trolley route to get around. This site can give you information on the routes and suggestions of things to do. http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

Also a number of restaurants in the area that have good food. I suggest you visit Chowhound and go on the Florida board and search for Tampa or Ybor City for decent recs and updates.

In GC, THE big thing for a lot of cruisers is Sting Ray City. Go to the GC board in ports of call for pictures and reviews. But its a popular excursion. Some people like to go to the turtle farm and HELL. If those are stops in your Sting Ray City excursion, that's fine, but I wouldn't make them the main destination (just my view). A hotel/resort along 7 mile beach is usually the other beach stop on excursions. Shopping in GC is very expensive and the tourist bars/restaurants are a bit pricey compared ot other ports like Cozumel. So unless there's some gotta-have-it item you see in GC, I'd rec waiting til Coz for any shopping. Go to the Country Store IceCream shop on the second floor of Royale Walter where some tenders come in (it's a block 1/2 from the other tender pier) and get an ice cream cone--mango or othe rtropical fruit flavors are good but if he's making it, try the creamy corn ice cream. Selections change daily. Then go downstairs to the Tortuga Rum Store and buy a bottle of Caybrew, the island's microbrew. It's not to everyone's taste but it's cheaper at the store than in a tourist bar. For good local food, in Georgetown try Hammerheads or Breezes, both cater somewhat to tourists but have good selections. Up 7MB, the Sunshine Grill, in the Sunshine Suites next to the Ritz Carleton is a great stop. and for more local fare, Tony's Jerk Food off Eastern Avenue (return traffic from 7MB--probably need a cab to get to it) is the place to go, but don't expect fancy upscale dining here, just good food.

Hello, My fiance ad I plus other folks on our roll call are staying at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. The hotel has a free airport and port shuttle. In addition they will shuttle you free of charge if you want to venture out during your stay for shopping or a restaurant etc... The cruise package price that I was quoted was $99 ( this may differ due to dates); This is for the 2 of us in a King/Smoking room. It includes the transportation and breakfast the next morning. In addition, the shuttle will meet you at the port after your cruise and take you back to the airport. ( this in itself is a savings as a cab from the port to TIA is $26 for up to 4 passengers plus tip.)

The hotel is located near the airport on the Courtney Campbell Causway that connects Tampa to Clearwater. The hotel is on the water so that will be a nice treat. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and one, Bahama Breeze that is adjacent to the hotel parking lot.

www.bahamabreeze.com

As far as things to do, there are many in Tampa. There is a nice upscale mall not too far from the hotel and airport. International Plaza, In addition to many nice shops there is also a wine bar and several trendy restaurants.

PS: I should have added that the airport is apx. 9 miles from the port and the hotel is just on the other side of TIA so maybe 10 miles from the port. So while it is not located in the port area $$$ it does have the free shuttle and a nice relaxig view of the water.

Enjoy your cruise and time in Tampa. :)

Moby Dick snorkel and Stingray tour in GC - about half the cost of the tour with the cruise line. Smaller boat, not crowded, great service, no pressure to buy pictures or DVDs, 20-30 minutes of snorkel time (gear included) and then fun with the Rays. Good luck!:)

Archived