How many of you have cruised without passport?

taliacamp

Hello, cruising western cribbean on Nov. 14th on Glory. We haven't gotten our passports yet and had every intention to do so. I was just tossing around the idea of bringing our birth certficate, marriage certficate and license ( we did this on Princess two years ago with no issues). Just found out that the fee for passports went up to $135.00 pp. Should we definately get the passports or have the extra money to enjoy on the cruise? Has anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks!!

I never leave the US without my passport. I had to flee a country once when war was setting in, and without my passport I can't imagine it would have been easy. Better safe than sorry, costs you 90 bucks and is good for what, 10 years? I say that is a good investment....

The simple fact of the matter is that passports are not required for closed loop cruises from the US... cruises that originate and return to the same port.

There are a number of scenarios where it would be desirable to have a passport in hand but they are all at the far end of the bell curve. Millions of people cruise annually without a passport and don't have problems.

I'd say save the additional dollars and enjoy.

:)

Hello, cruising western cribbean on Nov. 14th on Glory. We haven't gotten our passports yet and had every intention to do so. I was just tossing around the idea of bringing our birth certficate, marriage certficate and license ( we did this on Princess two years ago with no issues). Just found out that the fee for passports went up to $135.00 pp. Should we definately get the passports or have the extra money to enjoy on the cruise? Has anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks!!

At that price, I guess you have to decide if you will be doing allot of international travel in the next ten years. If so, you might as well get them now, then you'll have them and hey the price will probably only go up down the road. If you don't plan on leaving the country, other than closed loop cruises, than maybe you could save the $ and spend it on something else.

IMO you are better off with a passport , BUT since you are on a closed loop cruise there is no requirement that you have them. If it is only two of you I would go ahead and get them in case that dream opportunity of a cruise in the Med or Far East jumps in your lap, but if you are only staying in the Caribbean you should go with what feels right to you.

BTW to the post just above me, as an FYI, the price has gone up to $135, plus cost of photos. So about $150 pp, unless you can get cheap photos.

We've cruised twice without a passport.... and will do so again in September. I will get one WHEN it is required for cruising. Just bring your birth certificate, drivers license & marriage license.

On a strange note, in both my cruises, I've not been asked for the marriage license (Carnival & Royal). On our Royal cruise, my friend was asked for her marriage license and didn't have it on her... she was briefly scolded for not having it... but allowed to proceed. Funny thing, I was standing 3 feet down the counter from here checking in and was never asked for mine (which I had).

This will be our 7th cruise and we have always used our Birth Certificate and military ID. (Husband is retired Air Force.) We have never taken our marriage certificate either and have never been asked for it. This has held true for RCCL and Norwegian as well as CCL.

We only get to cruise about every other year so we felt the money for passports would be used elsewhere.

We always do ship excursions to be sure we don't miss the ship!

Whatever you decide....have a great cruise!!!

Thanks!!

I agree with Host Mach. Enjoy the extra money on the cruise. If something happens and you have to fly home you will go through some hassle but will still be allowed to return. And very few people have to fly home.

I have to respectfully disagree with the comparison to traveling w/o insurance. If something happens and you have to fly home w/o a passport it won't wipe you out financially the way a medevac situation could. Either scenario is not that likely to happen but we do purchase insurance for financial security.

Francie

On our last cruise the friends we traveled with did not have passports. No problem at all.

I believe you have to mail in your birth certificates in order to get a passport, correct? So I would be VERY sure you had time before your cruise so you are not left with no passport and no birth certificate come cruise time!!

Also, I am sure you know this but make sure it is the official raised seal birth certificate and not the hospital one. I remember a sob story post not too long ago about the guy (whose son didn't know how to tie a tie?) who had traveled before with the hospital birth certificate but was denied boarding on his latest attempt.

Happy cruising! I say go without this time but just for ease of travel, invest in a passport for the next 10 years.

I have a passport CARD, which is a little cheaper than the BOOK. Its only good for "international land and sea travel between the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda"...but these are the only instances I would need it for anyways! :)

I believe the passport card is now $55 vs. the $135 for the book.

We cruised last month on the Destiny with our driver's licenses and birth certificates. We did not have any problems and it did not seem to take any longer for check in. We were going to get the passports but since we planned our cruise late, I wasn't sure if we would get them in time without paying the expedited fee.

You have to keep in mind that if an emergency should occur (family, medical or you miss the ship at port) and you need to fly back to the US or your next destination, you won't be able to without a passport.

You'll still be able to. It'll just be a nightmare.

Sorry but I am really confused.... I thought it was mandatory when traveling outside the U.S. Does anyone know who to contact to find out what documentation is acceptable? I would love to save the $ - unless if anyone thinks there will be a revolution in the Bahamas!

Sorry but I am really confused.... I thought it was mandatory when traveling outside the U.S. Does anyone know who to contact to find out what documentation is acceptable? I would love to save the $ - unless if anyone thinks there will be a revolution in the Bahamas!

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

If you sail in and out of the same U.S. port it's consider "closed loop" and you don't need a passport. The link above has more details.

You can find all the required information here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

:)

I have a passport CARD, which is a little cheaper than the BOOK. Its only good for "international land and sea travel between the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda"...but these are the only instances I would need it for anyways! :)

I believe the passport card is now $55 vs. the $135 for the book.

I just had a friend and her DH who were denied flying to Mexico because they only had passport cards so I would check for sure that you can fly with those. Luckily they were able to reschedule their vacation to Christmas (Both people teach) so they can have the time to actually get passports.

Not sure why anyone would get cards since they don't seem that useful to me. We don't leave the country without our passports. We just go by the recommendation of the US embassy. We know it is a "just in case" but we have found it is hard to plan for "accidents" and "emergencies."

Have fun whatever you decide.

I just had a friend and her DH who were denied flying to Mexico because they only had passport cards so I would check for sure that you can fly with those. Luckily they were able to reschedule their vacation to Christmas (Both people teach) so they can have the time to actually get passports.

Not sure why anyone would get cards since they don't seem that useful to me. We don't leave the country without our passports. We just go by the recommendation of the US embassy. We know it is a "just in case" but we have found it is hard to plan for "accidents" and "emergencies."

Have fun whatever you decide.

You aren't able to fly with them to these countries...it states on the back of the card "LAND AND SEA TRAVEL". We fly in to Florida (or wherever the cruise is out of) and you can use them in the different countries on the cruise...That's the big difference - they're not good for flying into countries.

we have done 4 cruises over the last 6 years with our 2 children and never had a passport...btw had my marriage lic with us also and they never asked for it. but i bring it just in case. i do plan on getting my 12yo a state id. just to be precautious.

We have always had passports because, wait for it, we sometimes vacation out of the country NOT on a cruise! (gasp) If you someday plan on a similar trip, you should get a passport. If you're only travels ever will be closed loop cruises, then I guess you are all set (might want to branch out, just a tad? Just sayin..)

Thanks!!

As of now you are good to go.........marriage cert. not required........

I had always cruised with just a BC and Drivers Lisence until they decided to make it illegal to re-enter the US from Canada (by car) or from any foriegn country by air. They had also threatened to include cruising but as of this date that has apparently gone away. Please keep in mind, though, that if for some reason you need to fly back to the US from one of the foriegn ports you will have a difficult time re-entering the country without a passport.

Archived