car rental in cozumel

swampland

ok, so i know i have read that i need to take the extra car rental ins. but i was looking at the avis site and they have like 3 diff insurances. any help if i need all 3. they are as follows.. which if you add them up cost more than the car rental...sorry so long.

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

Renters may purchase loss damage waiver (LDW) that reduces the financial liability for loss or damage to the Avis car as long as they comply with the terms of the Avis rental agreement. Cost of LDW will vary by location, car group and rate. If you have rental car coverage through your personal insurance or charge card, LDW offers maximum protection while your personal insurance or charge car may contain a deductible.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides accidental death benefits and emergency medical expense benefits to the renter and all passengers in the Avis car.

The renter is covered 24 hours a day during the rental for the following:

-$175,000.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to an accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses

The passengers are covered while in the car for the following:

-$17,500.00 accidental death

-$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to accident

-$250.00 for ambulance expenses Exceptions:

Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)

Renter may purchase Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) at the time of rental. ALI provides additional protection for bodily injury, death or property damage and increases the limits to $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 combined single limit depending on the location. When ALI is purchased, Avis will always provide the Financial Responsibility Limits (FRL) on a primary basis.

You don't needto take any of those insurances.

If you have any kind of travel insurance the PAI is unnecessary. Your regular health insurance might also cover you but not up front if you're outside of the US.

Whether you need the LDW (covers damage or loss of the rented car) depends on whether your current automotive insurance covers you in Mexico (probably not) and whether your credit card provides collision insurance on rentals (probably does unless you have a pretty low-end card).

Your rental contract already provides a minium required level of liability insurance (pays for when you injure someone else or damage another car when driving the rental). The Additional Liability Insurance increases the level of coverage. You may have other sources of liability coverage (auto or homewoner's insurance) but note that the Avis insurance is Primary (it pays the first $X of expense).

No simple answers, but probably the Avis coverage is expensive for what you need.

EDIT: Of the three you might most want to pay for LDW, for the reduction in hassle at the minimum.

Archived