HAL cancels Bermuda Segway tours

Sirdar

Just returned from Bermuda aboard the Veendam. DW and I had booked a Segway tour in St. Georges thru HAL and upon boarding found that the tour had been cancelled. We were able to (easily) locate the vendor once ashore and book the tour directly (at a savings of $14 each). Apparently HAL's "risk assessment" department is reviewing this tour in light of a collision between a Segway and a motor scooter resulting in injury to the parties.

I don't know if this policy affects other cruise lines, or if HAL will begin to rebppk them, but if anyone is interested in this tour I suggest you investigate your options.

Interesting.

I wonder if the accident was in St. George or Dockyard. I know at Dockyard the area where the Segway tours start and where the scooters are rented are in close proximity. That is also where renters take a test drive and you see any number of those people having trouble.

We also found that booking on your own is a savings. Unfortunately,the times just didn't work for us.:(

Well, how was the tour that you booked. Did you enjoy it and would you recommend it?

Well yes and no. The Segway does require some getting used to. It is not merely a question of hopping on and going. We were shown an introductory film which depicts the many ways in which you can fail to use it properly and be thrown off. You are given an opportunity to familiarize yourself with its operation prior to hitting the streets. The Segway is surprisingly sensitiveto body position and movement. it does not take much to get it going forward. The least tip forward or backward and speed up or slow down its operation. It can be daunting when going downhill and requires good attention to body position and operation to prevent it from running away (this happened to me). If your knees or back are not strong you may experience difficulty.

The major problem for me (58, overweight and diabetic) was not the Segway but the intense Bermuda heat and humidity. I became rather dehydrated and felt ill. I had to ask to stop and take shelter under a tree while the guide went off in search of water and gator ade and my wife and friends attended to me. Once revived, I was able to make it back to the start point.

The Segway is a fascinating and fun machine and if the proper precautions are observed well worth the experience--at least once!

We loved doing the Segways in San Juan. We would have done them in Bermuda too but I was worried about the heat and sure enough, it was very hot and humid during our recent stay, so I am glad we did not do the tour.

Archived