Has anyone used My Friend Mario?

aprill121

Just got back from my Carnival Freedom cruise and wanted to let everyone know how my tour with my friend Mario went. The Friday before the cruise Carnival switched us to an Eastern itinerary. I emailed my friend Mario with the news. Get on the ship Saturday, we are back to our original Western itinerary. Emailed Mario again, told him we were back on! The responses to my emails were very prompt. When we arrived in Colon, we had a group of 27 people doing CL003 which is the Gatun Locks, Portobello and beach break. The tour guide was outside of the port waiting on my group with my name on a sign. I felt very assured after his email warning me of imposters for his company. We went to the locks first. They had refreshments for us when we got back to the bus which was very appreciated on a hot day. We then went to the beach. People that only wanted to go to the beach were dropped off at that point. They got to spend approx 3 hours there. We went on to the Portobello colonial fort and also saw El Christo Negro(the Black Christ). We then went back to the beach and had appox one hour. They was some food and refreshments also at the beach no charge. Some people wanted to stop and shop. Majority rules, personally I didn't care for where we stopped. It was like a department store. Just wanted to get back to the ship. The only negative was the traffic. It is chaos in Colon. No traffic lights! I would recommend this tour and my friend Mario.

Kim

Just got back from my Carnival Freedom cruise and wanted to let everyone know how my tour with my friend Mario went. The Friday before the cruise Carnival switched us to an Eastern itinerary. I emailed my friend Mario with the news. Get on the ship Saturday, we are back to our original Western itinerary. Emailed Mario again, told him we were back on! The responses to my emails were very prompt. When we arrived in Colon, we had a group of 27 people doing CL003 which is the Gatun Locks, Portobello and beach break. The tour guide was outside of the port waiting on my group with my name on a sign. I felt very assured after his email warning me of imposters for his company. We went to the locks first. They had refreshments for us when we got back to the bus which was very appreciated on a hot day. We then went to the beach. People that only wanted to go to the beach were dropped off at that point. They got to spend approx 3 hours there. We went on to the Portobello colonial fort and also saw El Christo Negro(the Black Christ). We then went back to the beach and had appox one hour. They was some food and refreshments also at the beach no charge. Some people wanted to stop and shop. Majority rules, personally I didn't care for where we stopped. It was like a department store. Just wanted to get back to the ship. The only negative was the traffic. It is chaos in Colon. No traffic lights! I would recommend this tour and my friend Mario.

Kim

Thanks for reporting back. A couple of questions: How was the beach? Was it worth going to? At any point did you worry about getting back to the ship on time with all that traffic? We're signed up with MFM for a different tour (CL001, I think), but may consider changing if the beach was worth it, although the rainforest looks good. Thanks again.

It was a beach. I'm sure by Panama standards it was good. My friends said it wasn't rocky. The water is no where near as beautiful as Cozumel or St Thomas but I think that's the way it is so far south. There was a time or two that I did worry about getting back to the ship on time but we had 20 minutes to spare. Any other questions, let me know. Will try to answer.

Kim

It was a beach. I'm sure by Panama standards it was good. My friends said it wasn't rocky. The water is no where near as beautiful as Cozumel or St Thomas but I think that's the way it is so far south. There was a time or two that I did worry about getting back to the ship on time but we had 20 minutes to spare. Any other questions, let me know. Will try to answer.

Kim

Kim - I was curious how you guys did time wise. We did a Carnival excursion and got back to the ship 20 minutes after last call. The security officer checking us in said they were still waiting for 600 people. Most of the delay was due to the afternoon traffic and construction.

We used My Friend Mario on Aug 5 in Colon. The tour visited the Panama Canal (Gatun Locks), "rainforest" (it was on an old US base), and the fort overlooking the Chagres river. We had a good guide "Rey" and about 20 people on the tour. Cost was $55/person which was less than anything we saw the ship offer.

Bus had drinks (water, soft drinks) and snacks for the group (no extra charge). Rey was very knowledgeable and provided good commentary.

Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Would definitely recommend this tour.

sound like mfm is a good deal. did you make rez ahead? how? can you just arrange the tour of canal/rainforest when you dock? we are going 4/2011 westbound Princess. thx

• 3 weeks later...

Archived