Help!!! Docs with incorrect names!!!

rhfisher

I rcvd my docs yesterday and was so excited BUT they have my 15 year old daughter's name spelled incorrectly as Kristine (name is Kristen). I went online to complete the Fun Pass and noticed that they are showing my D's friend, 15 yrs, as first name Brooke (Brooke is middle name) actual full name is Erica Brooke AND my son, 8 yrs, first name Jacob when actual name is Michael Jacob. Called Carnival, they wouldn't address and referred me to TA. TA says that I either have to pay $50 for each name change + $ 50 for new docs ($200.00 MORE DOLLARS) :eek: OR just make sure that I have their Birth Certificates and she DOESN"T THINK there will be any boarding problems. PLEASE ADVISE ME ...I AM FRANTIC! We sail 03/17 Sensation NO. FIRST CRUISE!:confused: :confused:

Guest Time2gocruzn

I had a similar problem as my DH is a II (suffix). They left that part off our reservation. All his docs (BC & DL) say the II after his name. I called my TA, was worried I would have to pay for a name change. She said I DID NOT have to pay, as we are not changing passengers/names, but simply correcting a typo. She contacted Carnival, I checked on Carnivals site and it was corrected the next day, no charge, no problem. This was b4 we got docs though. I would press the issue with your TA, do NOT take that for an answer!! You be sure to tell your TA that you know for a fact that the name change fee is ONLY if you are changing passengers, not for correcting typos. (ie: if you DD was taking one friend and then that friend couldn't go so you needed to change it to another friend's name)These were NOT the names your TA was given, so it was either a typo on her part or a typo on Carnivals part, either way, not something you should be paying for.:mad:

Wow, that's a lot of errors for one trip. I would first try to see how the errors occured. If it was your TA who screwed up, then get them to pay for the name change. If it was Carnival who screwed up, get your TA to argue (forcefully) for a name change free of charge. If it was you who screwed up, well, that I don't know about. I have no idea how picky they will be at the pier. Good luck, though!

a comedy of errors I suppose...I was not aware that the TA needed full legal names -- I gave her the info over the phone -- Never asked for spelling or first & middle -- Jacob goes by Middle name as does Brooke. I just simply dont want to be left standing on the pier .... but dont need extra expense.

CCL does charge for typos and it is $50. In your case I would definately blame the TA because it is HER JOB to ask you for the correct legal names just as they are on the birth certificate. CCL does not charge $50 to reissue tickets though so that's a lie.

You can't blame CCL if that's the names the TA gave them because to me it's obvious she told them the names, CCL doesn't just make them up! Travel agents are supposed to do their jobs correctly, that's why they get paid commission from the cruise lines.

Stand your ground with the TA and let her know it was her job to inform you correctly and that SHE should pay the correction fees and take it out of her commission!!!!!

We sailed last June on the Conquest....four of us in my family. One of our names was mildly misspelled. We had our birth certificates with us and had no problems getting on the ship. We just told the agent about the misspelling and she sent on our way to the ship.

Don't panic. This is not as much a problem as you think.

First, passengers don't have to be booked by the "full name (first & middle) on their birth certificate", as mentioned above...

NINE cruises, and I am always booked with my middle and last name only, because that's the name I go by. My first name is not even on the docs, not even an initial. It's on my passport, and before I got a passport, it was on my BC....SO, when either of those docs are shown to the agents at the pier, they can see that I'm ME. (All the names are there, just not all names listed on the docs.)

Yes, it's probably the TA's fault, but it's still no big deal, and no $50 should have to be paid to change any names, as no names have to be changed.

Hope I explained this well enough.:)

Yes, you should have gotten an email from your TA (at least) with everything to review. I'm glad I got mine ~ they had me booked on the wrong cruise! LOL

I know it's hindsight but a lesson learned is always good. Obviously, next time you'll know to make sure you have something to look over and OK first...my TA emailed me the info to doublecheck before she submitted (on-line TA)....but I have to agree with Cotton that you shouldn't panic.

That is a LOT of mistakes though...and the TA isn't helping you out, so I also hope that next time you go with another agency....but in the mean time, although no panic is necessary, you should go above this persons head and try to get it fixed. When I doublecheckd my info, the TA abbreviated Maine as MA...which is incorrect, as MA is Massachusetts. I told her the mistake and she thanked me, saying that it was very good that I caught it...so she made it sound like mistakes were an issue. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY for the TA's mistake....but Carnival is not going to help you out here...your Travel agency has to fix this.

Hey, don't always blame the TA for mistakes in spelling!! I sat right there while she phonetically spelled my DS and his wife's names to Carnival when she booked them. Instead of Troy and Ping, it came out Torey and Ting. I contacted her after I did the Fun Pass online and she was able to get it corrected without any charge. Perhaps they thought the P as in Paul was T as in Tall??

This just happened to my sister. Her daughters first name was misspelled and she had to pay 50.00 to change it. It was partly her fault since she noticed it on the paperwork she got from the TA, tried to change directly on line in the fun pass area but you can't change a name there so she just forgot about it until she got the documents. Once they issue documents they do charge $50.00 to reisssue them. The TA agreed to pay 1/2 and she paid 1/2. It probably was her fault since the TA did ask for the correct legal names, she just spelled one wrong and then since she did'nt correct it right away when she got the first confirmation, it became a problem. I would suggest that if your TA did not ask you for the correct legal names that you ask her to pay part of this.

a comedy of errors I suppose...I was not aware that the TA needed full legal names -- I gave her the info over the phone -- Never asked for spelling or first & middle -- Jacob goes by Middle name as does Brooke. I just simply dont want to be left standing on the pier .... but dont need extra expense.

Were the names correct when you got your confirmation? By reading this reply I'm guessing they weren't and you just found out they have to be exact? :confused:

DKLove,

I just learned something from reading your post. I didn't realize their was such a thing as II after a persons name. I thought it was Sr. , Jr., and then the III. Interesting tidbit. :)

Bill

DKLove,

I just learned something from reading your post. I didn't realize their was such a thing as II after a persons name. I thought it was Sr. , Jr., and then the III. Interesting tidbit. :) Bill

Not so unusual, I don't think. My son is P_J_B_,II. He is named after my husband's uncle. People sometimes name their sons after an uncle or someone else in the family, other than the boy's father. In that case, he is "II".

Not so unusual, I don't think. My son is P_J_B_,II. He is named after my husband's uncle. People sometimes name their sons after an uncle or someone else in the family, other than the boy's father. In that case, he is "II".

Or if named after his grandfather, II would be appropriate. By the way, one of the more common nicknames for a II is "chip", as in "chip off the old block".

they misspelled my DD's name. I called Carnival, and they changed it, they told me there was no charge and that they didn't need to send out new docs since it was just a typo. The CSRsaid he would note it in their computer. Wasn't even mentioned when we checked in. TA may have to do it since she booked the reservation, but since it's a "typo", there shouldn't be any charge.

Karen

Archived