Looking for recent carnival passengers

tkilrainrn

I sailed on the Pride in April and due to the nature of their coffee, I took my travel Keurig with me. I took it as a carry on and it went right through, no one even questioned it. Now I understand that they are cracking down on small appliances. This is a small one and I only use it in the morning because I just can't tolerate their coffee. Anyone know about how strict they have become? Anyone have any experience with getting "appliances" through recently?

From Carnival FAQs (partial list):

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

I know it's not a great solution, but they make some pretty good instant coffee these days. (i.e. Starbucks makes individual packets that are really pretty good). It would be easy to pack and you can get the hot water at the coffee/tea station.

Just an alternative...

To answer your question and according to my friends that have sailed in the past couple of months, they have become VERY strict.

Have you tried the coffee at the specialty coffee bar?

I take the Starbucks Via packets with me whenever we travel (okay, not on cruises but everywhere else). You can get them way cheaper at Costo, btw.

I don't know which would be worse: starbucks or CCL coffee?????

I take the Starbucks Via packets with me whenever we travel (okay, not on cruises but everywhere else). You can get them way cheaper at Costo, btw.

We bring with us International Flavored half and half (hazelnut is a favorite of ours), and this makes the coffee on the Lido deck enjoyable. You may want to try that!

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I loved my keurig on the cruise but I will try the instant starbucks and see how it is. The ship coffee is the pits! :eek:

I don't think that I ever finished a cup. I tried but I just couldn't do it. thanks again for the suggestions.

I was wondering about this too. My dad has not ever cruised before. We made reservations a while back and I had told him I thought it would be ok to bring his small coffeepot. I am dreading telling him this. I don't see him going for star bucks packets.

He may try to take anyway no matter what I say. I am assuming since it says confiscated - they would give back to him at end of cruise if he had to visit naughty room?

I don't understand why everyone hates the coffee so much, maybe I'm sailing on different ships! The only ship that I wasn't thrilled about the coffee was the Valor because it was too strong, and when I cut it with hot water to dilute it it was good. Room service coffee is good, MDR also good.

:rolleyes:

I don't know which would be worse: starbucks or CCL coffee?????

LOL, not a fan of starbucks at all, but the packets aren't half bad.

For everyone else though- if the coffee is bitter then add a pinch of salt to it, not kidding you at all!

What about a coffee press?

French presses are the best way to drink coffee! I hear that they make it though just fine, as they wouldn't impose a hazard of any type....

I don't understand why everyone hates the coffee so much, maybe I'm sailing on different ships! The only ship that I wasn't thrilled about the coffee was the Valor because it was too strong, and when I cut it with hot water to dilute it it was good. Room service coffee is good, MDR also good.

:rolleyes:

Some don't like good coffee, they like GREAT coffee!!!

Some travel size or individual cup coffee makers don't have warming plates under the pot to keep the coffee warm. I'm wondering if this would make a difference since there is no chance of accidentally leaving it on and overheating. Or maybe try a french press and get hot water from the Lido hot tea stand.

I know it's not a great solution, but they make some pretty good instant coffee these days. (i.e. Starbucks makes individual packets that are really pretty good). It would be easy to pack and you can get the hot water at the coffee/tea station.

Just an alternative...

Sorry, but that stuff is nasty. lol That would never satisfy a serious coffee drinker.

Some don't like good coffee, they like GREAT coffee!!!

Then they should smuggle themselves up to the Bridge area ( Just joking here. :)) specifically the Captains cabin area and grab a cup of the LaVazza Coffee. http://www.lavazza.com/corporate/en/

It is one of the finest coffees and this is what the Captains and their Officers are served. How I know this is that I have seen it on a number of the Behind the Fun tours and you can smell the wonderful aroma as sopon as you enter the area. :)

For everyone else though- if the coffee is bitter then add a pinch of salt to it, not kidding you at all!

I learned to do this many years ago when making the coffee. Pinch of salt on the grounds and perk and the coffee will never be bitter. Also works on citrus fruit that is bitter....;)

I miss my keurig on cruises but agree the coffee shop has great coffee. i just start my morning at the coffee shop.

The coffee shop is a good idea but then I have to leave the room and I enjoy my first cup of coffee in the morning in my jammies and sitting on the balcony. I guess I will have to make some sacrifices! When I took my keurig, I just carried it through security and it went through the scanner with no problem. I sure did not try to hide it!

LOL, not a fan of starbucks at all, but the packets aren't half bad.

Never heard of that I'll give it a shot.

He may try to take anyway no matter what I say. I am assuming since it says confiscated - they would give back to him at end of cruise if he had to visit naughty room?

He will not get it back. Many people have posted about things taken from them and never returned.

Room service will deliver a carafe of hot water for your Starbucks packets or for the French press. That way you don't have to leave your cabin in the morning for your coffee fix. :-)

We used Room Service as our wake up call every morning, with a delivery of hot water, bagels and OJ. (we made tea, but it would work for the coffe addicts:D)

Lisa

We are coffee snobs, but i've found a really good travel solution. They are the "Solobrew" french press to go cups. It's kind of a tea bag with coffee/french press combo thing, and they come with four servings of coffee. Just open the foil packet, add hot water, pop in the bag, and wait for it to brew. Then you press the water out, toss the bag, and you've got a pretty good cup of java. We got ours at the local Spec's, but i intend to see where else they are available.

Note: a quick search turned them up on Amazon, at less than a buck per ~12 oz serving. Not bad, when you need good coffee.

Archived