Ketchikan - fishing without tour/excursion

yesaccasey

I'm hoping someone can help! I want to fish in Ketchikan but do not want to fish on a boat which the excursions do. I want to go fish in a stream or somewhere close by. We arrive in port at 6:30am and leave at 12:30pm. Will the shops be open to rent equipment? Where should we go to fish and how do you get there?

Thanks for your help!

From a website...

Here is another tip. If you are there and the salmon are running you can rent a fishing pole a couple of blocks north of the Ketchikan Creek bridge and at the store just south of the bridge, and simply stand on the bridge and hook them as they circle below waiting to enter the creek. Most people simply catch-and-release, as you may not take them back onto the ship.

I will probably explore this idea when in Ketch in three weeks or so.

Go Cats

From what others said on a previous thread, the place that rented poles is no longer there. If you do find a pole though, go down to the bridge in town. On the north side is a ramp down to a boat dock. We were there a couple of years ago in early Sept. I lost count on how many Salmon I caught. Every cast a 5 to 10 pounder. Had a blast. You will need a one day licence.

I don't plan on keeping the salmon; just catch and release. I really need to rent poles though. Can anyone confirm if the rental store is still open? And if so, what time do they open?

from the ketchikan visitor's bureau

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the business that you are referring to is not doing business. The only alternative that I could suggest, would be that you purchase an inexpensive rod, and maybe pack a reel, or purchase a combo set. Tongass Trading has some relatively inexpensive gear, and I have had quite a few people do this, and then they will usually donate their gear to a local kid that is fishing on the bridge. I hope this is helpful to you, but please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Thank you,

Kerri Hassett

Visitor Services Coordinator

Ketchikan Visitors Bureau

Phone: 907-225-6166

E-mail: khassett@visit-ketchikan.com

Our lifestyle, your reward

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Ketch. Two places to rent poles/lures/etc. One guy has a shop or stand right on Creek Street. $20 for the first hour/$15 per hour after that. The lures he provides are just pink hair jigs, nothing fancy.

Saw people catching fish all over the place the first week of August, right off the bridge, bank, docks...everywhere. All rented rods.

Go Cats

Archived