Day at the beach on Tahiti and Fiji

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess and will arrive in Papeete, Tahiti and Suva, Fiji in October.

Are there any hotels on the local beaches that would allow you to spend the day? Would there be taxi's handy to return to the ship?

Snowbird

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess and will arrive in Papeete, Tahiti and Suva, Fiji in October.

Are there any hotels on the local beaches that would allow you to spend the day? Would there be taxi's handy to return to the ship?

Snowbird

I don't know about Fiji but yes, there are beaches on Tahiti and within a cab ride from the Papeete dock. Here's some helpful information on how to approach the best beaches. http://papeete.com/about.html#beaches.

I don't know about Fiji but yes, there are beaches on Tahiti and within a cab ride from the Papeete dock. Here's some helpful information on how to approach the best beaches. http://papeete.com/about.html#beaches.

Have you ever visited one of these beaches on Papeete? Reason I ask is that we have visited there 7 times, each time inquired with the locals and taxi drivers, even spent extra days on Papeete pre cruise, and have been told by everyone (including hotel operators) that there isn't a decent beach anywhere on the island? :confused: So, if there are any, it must be a real secret that they are not willing to share. lol

Have you ever visited one of these beaches on Papeete? Reason I ask is that we have visited there 7 times, each time inquired with the locals and taxi drivers, even spent extra days on Papeete pre cruise, and have been told by everyone (including hotel operators) that there isn't a decent beach anywhere on the island? :confused: So, if there are any, it must be a real secret that they are not willing to share. lol

Plage de Toaroto has facilities and is a public white sand beach. It looks like a park and Le Truck will take you. If I were to pay or sneak into a hotel, it would be the Intercontinetnal.

I have friends on Tahiti who run surf and paddle shops (and camps) which cater to vacationing Hawaiians and their families. They would be dismayed to hear that locals told tourists they don't have nice beaches, 7 times. Sorry to hear this. Perhaps the litter or the dogs which can be plentiful on the public beaches were the reason you were not taken. I don't know. The link provided is a good guide as you probably know about how to best use the beaches throoughout Tahiti. There seems no hard and fast rule on beach use by day trippers, even at the hotels.

That is so strange, as even if we personally have never found a decent beach around Papeete, none of our cruising friends have either. We know many who have rented cars, taken tours, etc, and have yet to locate a beauitful beach on the island. Even at the Intercontinental, the beach pool we found to be nicer than any beach located there. I am very puzzled by this reply.

I would guess (just guessing) that if there is one anywhere on the island, it would be difficult to locate or get to from the cruise port, as that is where many have tried (and enquired) but found nothing. Might be time to spend a day in search of said beautiful beach on the island during one of the next to visits there though. ;)

Toto, google Plage de Toaroto.....interesting.

Thanks, I did just that. It is just amazing to me that after all the enquires by ourselves, our friends, and actually looking for these beaches, we have yet to find them. :confused:

I have seen a few black sand beaches there, but if you have ever been to one, they aren't all that inviting to spend the day laying around on. But this is the first time I have heard of a white sand beach on Papeete even after years of attempting to locate one near Papeete. Even the hotels all have the pools as the main draw and many don't even offer a beach on the island. Totally confused still about this one, might have to go have a look for myself. But it is possible, as was posted earlier, that the packs of dogs and litter could be the reason. ;)

Late 70's and maybe early 80's there were some beaches--can't really remember where--the one thing I do remember is a river that the natives were bathing in and we were invited to join them--I remember one guy holding up a bar of Ivory Soap--both male and female were bathing in the river at that time together--that was my first trip and I do remember that on Bora Bora especially the men preferred no clothing or a loin cloth that they tied some way.

Nancy:D:D

Late 70's and maybe early 80's there were some beaches--can't really remember where--the one thing I do remember is a river that the natives were bathing in and we were invited to join them--I remember one guy holding up a bar of Ivory Soap--both male and female were bathing in the river at that time together--that was my first trip and I do remember that on Bora Bora especially the men preferred no clothing or a loin cloth that they tied some way.

Nancy:D:D

Nancy, things sure have changed haven't they?

I remember how prestine the islands were our first visit. Then about 5 years later it became a very popular tourist destination, and as we walked along the side of the road by the water, there was trash, garbage, etc floating. Within a few years, (I am going to blame the tourist industry here), things changed drastically.

Still beautiful, but you sure can tell the difference now compared to years ago.

Nancy, things sure have changed haven't they?

I remember how prestine the islands were our first visit. Then about 5 years later it became a very popular tourist destination, and as we walked along the side of the road by the water, there was trash, garbage, etc floating. Within a few years, (I am going to blame the tourist industry here), things changed drastically.

Still beautiful, but you sure can tell the difference now compared to years ago.

On both Moorea and Bora Bora there weren't locks on your bungalow doors--on Moorea there was an insect repellent thing--like incense that remained burning 24/7 lots of creepy crawlers--our shower had some wonderful things coming up from the ground below--the shower floor was slats.

When the CEO of Armstrong Rubber (company that took us on these trips) tried to help a couple of girls get their boat back into the water he stepped on a sea urchin (I think) whatver it was lots of needles in his skin turning purple--of course, no Dr.--the help where we were staying told us to either have him soak his foot in bleach--which wasn't available or urine--he sat on the porch of his bungalow with a bucket and volunteers filled it for him--seems to me that this was for about 2 days. Many jokes about this--so many years ago and where is the company now--we were with the tire division not the flooring part.

Here in the desert now looking out at the clouds coming to visit maybe--don't know the temp--only that it's triple digits--guess the golfers know more than I do--they seem to be missing as I look out the door.

Nancy:D

Archived