How much are fees and taxes?

badgebunny

Just wondering about what percentage of your total cruise cost is in taxes and gov't fees? When I go to the Carnival website the total charge per person for the Western Caribbean on the Legend is $72.55 or about 12%. My travel agent's charge for taxes and fees is $231.55 or about 30% per person. I can't figure out where the difference is and my TA hasn't been able to tell me, she is however calling Carnival to find out.

The total cost is quite similar as she found a better rate than the ES rate on the Carnival site.

I'm just a bit confused.....

Thanks,

Amy

Just wondering about what percentage of your total cruise cost is in taxes and gov't fees? When I go to the Carnival website the total charge per person for the Western Caribbean on the Legend is $72.55 or about 12%. My travel agent's charge for taxes and fees is $231.55 or about 30% per person. I can't figure out where the difference is and my TA hasn't been able to tell me, she is however calling Carnival to find out.

The total cost is quite similar as she found a better rate than the ES rate on the Carnival site.

Thanks,

Amy

Isn't that a bit of TA bait and switch?? The TA gives you a lower base price so it looks good then you find the taxes and fees are a lot more bringing the price in line with booking direct.

Thanks,

Amy

On the Carnival site, the add-on "Government Fees and Taxes" are shown. These are the same for all passengers and generally run about $60pp on an average cruise.

Separately, there are "Port Fees". these are included in the cruisefare amount on the Carnival web page and you never see them. Travel Agents (for Commission calculation purposes) are required to break these out from the Cruise Fare and should be quoting them separately. The Port Fees might be around $50 per port on your cruise.

Carnival quotes CruiseFare + "Govenment Fees and Taxes"

TA Quotes Port Fees + Balance of Cruisefare + "Govenment Fees and Taxes"

The "Govenment Fees and Taxes" as above defines should be exactly the same in the TA quote and the Carnival quote.

If your TA doesn't understand or can't explain this, then I'd be concerned!

ken

Thanks,

Amy

Government fees---And ----taxes, are 2 different things. Neither is calculated on a percentage basis. Since 1997, Cruise lines are only allowed to charge the actual fees and/or taxes charged to them by the various ports and Governments visited.

There was a time when "port charges" were broken out of the price,along with taxes. Now the FEES charged by the ports, both the US ports and the visited ports are included in the cruise line price. TA will often show those FEES as a separate entity as TA do not get commission on the FEES. TAXES are the actual taxes charged by the US Governments and the Governments of countries visited.

The totals, as you have seen are very close. If the TA's price is better than Carnival's, the TA is giving up some commission to get your business. They cannot advertise TO THE PUBLIC, a price lower than Carnival's.

Thanks,

Amy

I can answer that one. Port charges are included in the Carnival rates ... but Carnival doesnt pay your TA commission on port charges, so your TA pulls out the noncommionable part of the fare and adds it to the fees and taxes.

Just look at the bottom line. I dont know why TAs show this to their clients who dont understand. if the bottom line is the same then the TA isnt discounting, might as well book direct.

Looks like Dan types faster ... same answer as I said.

I can answer that one. Port charges are included in the Carnival rates ... but Carnival doesnt pay your TA commission on port charges, so your TA pulls out the noncommionable part of the fare and adds it to the fees and taxes.

Just look at the bottom line. I dont know why TAs show this to their clients who dont understand. if the bottom line is the same then the TA isnt discounting, might as well book direct.

Looks like Dan types faster ... same answer as I said.

yew mus tipe reelee sloo if i beet chew.:D:D

Compare apples to apples, or the bottom line. A percentage is meaningless, as in the case of our upcoming cruise. We have an inside cabin, so port charges, fees and taxes represent 33 percent of our cost. My sister and brother each have verandah cabins and their port charges, fees and taxes, while exactly the same as ours, only represent 21 percent of their total cost. Finally, for my parents, who have suites for the B2B, their port charges, fees and taxes, which are the same amount, only represent 13.9 percent of the cost of their cruise.

That's why, when I communicated with the various TAs, before finally making my decision on which I would use, I made sure they gave me the bottom line.

Of course, that doesn't even figure in OBC or gratuities.:D

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Isn't that a bit of TA bait and switch?? The TA gives you a lower base price so it looks good then you find the taxes and fees are a lot more bringing the price in line with booking direct.

That's pretty much what it turned out to be. Trouble is the TA is a friend of a family member so what's a gal to do?:D

Anyway, the bottem line is pretty much the same, just kind of irratating.

Thanks,

Amy

Perhaps the TA added prepaid gratuities to the "taxes and fees".

Thanks,

Amy

Your answer has to do with how TAs are paid. They are paid on the part of the fare that is commisionable. The taxes and fees are a flat rate, BUT there are other parts of the fare that the TA does not receive commission on, and that is why the numbers look different. As long as the bottom line is the same the fares are the same. BTW it is rare in the Caribbean for port fees to be more than about $ 5 - 8 per person.

Archived