Magicians for entertaining on Seabourn

MARIANH

I have found in discussion with other cruisers that magicians/ illusionists have generally gone down a storm. Either in a formal show with a large audience or performing for smaller groups ie close contact/ sleight of hand.

I wonder if anyone here shares this view. And if so whether they prefer a stage Act or something more up close and personal. It would be great if some recommendations for artistes could be shared on this thread.

I have found in discussion with other cruisers that magicians/ illusionists have generally gone down a storm. Either in a formal show with a large audience or performing for smaller groups ie close contact/ sleight of hand.

I wonder if anyone here shares this view. And if so whether they prefer a stage Act or something more up close and personal. It would be great if some recommendations for artistes could be shared on this thread.

Oh, yes. Absolutely. There's a whole genre of sleight of hand called "street magic" of which David Blaine is the leading exponent.There is a tv show, somewhere, on him doing things like: levitating off the sidewalk; or you pick a card, don't show it to him, reinsert in pack of cards --you can buy the pack, it you wish--he throws the entire pack against a wall or window. Voila! The card you chose sticks to the wall. Clearly, the man is an alien.

I play a little poker, and what some of these guys can do with a pack of cards is terrifying.

Oh, yes. Absolutely. There's a whole genre of sleight of hand called "street magic" of which David Blaine is the leading exponent.There is a tv show, somewhere, on him doing things like: levitating off the sidewalk; or you pick a card, don't show it to him, reinsert in pack of cards --you can buy the pack, it you wish--he throws the entire pack against a wall or window. Voila! The card you chose sticks to the wall. Clearly, the man is an alien.

I play a little poker, and what some of these guys can do with a pack of cards is terrifying.

Thankyou for reminding me of the skills of David Blaine. Mindboggling he is. I expect he would be too expensive for Seabourn. But I for one would PAY to see him. And this is from a Yorkshireman ( you will not understand the reference. Or maybe....). Anyhow back to the plot, if we can't get David B, does anyone know of an illusionist with similar , if perhaps more modest ambitions that Seabourn might be able to entice.

I slip in the back door ~sit in the back, then after 10 minutes, sneak out! ! :p

Martita B.

May I have the temerity to offer a word of friendly advice. Don't try this if David Blaine is performing. You never know where you might end up or as what!. He has skills beyond our wildest imaginations. Just jesting:)

>"... if we can't get David B, does anyone know of an illusionist with similar , if perhaps more modest ambitions that Seabourn might be able to entice."

Just who are the 'we' and I think Seabourn does very well on it's own.

>"... if we can't get David B, does anyone know of an illusionist with similar , if perhaps more modest ambitions that Seabourn might be able to entice."

Just who are the 'we' and I think Seabourn does very well on it's own.

Oh dear.

There are occasions when word usage doe not travel well across the Pond. I fear this may be one of them. And I try so hard not to get at cross purposes with anyone. And try to be positive all the time in what I share on this site.

This is English phraesology with which understandably you may not be familiar ( ok so I may have got the grammar wrong but I hope you know what I mean) It is the same as saying " we can't have....". We being the loyal customers of Seabourn who I think would enjoy a quality magician/ illusionist. From your earlier posts I believe you and others have experienced such and enjoyed them. Certainly I have not had such a privilege on my Seabourn cruises. But I have on other cruise lines. I was inviting readers to share the names of people they had enjoyed. I thought that this was the raison d'etre of the Cruise Critic boards. Perhaps I am wrong. And if so you will no doubt put me right. In the meantime, I am sure Seabourn will make its own decisions. But being strongly customer focussed I would expect them to take cogniscence of their clients wishes.

Seabourn publicity and customer service strongly suggests this. Again if I have this wrong, please correct me if I have not understood the Seabourn ethic. I am always receptive to good advice and willing to learn.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody but unbowed.

From INVICTUS by William Ernest Henley

Do you mean it's the Royal 'we' as in 'we' are not amused? >"We being the loyal customers of Seabourn.." That's my point as I perceive when you use 'we' that includes me as a' loyal customer' and sometimes I don't want to be included in such a broad assumption. But I admire your gumption at sticking with these threads. (Not sure if gumption is widely used in the UK, however.) <g>

Do you mean it's the Royal 'we' as in 'we' are not amused? >"We being the loyal customers of Seabourn.." That's my point as I perceive when you use 'we' that includes me as a' loyal customer' and sometimes I don't want to be included in such a broad assumption. But I admire your gumption at sticking with these threads. (Not sure if gumption is widely used in the UK, however.) <g>

Thankyou for that clarification.

As you would expect, having met me , I am always out to please, and will continue to use best endeavours and resourcefulness to ensure the views I share are clearly my own. I would not dream of suggesting otherwise.And I will strive not to fail in this aspiration. It is for others to judge if they wish to subscribe to them or not as the case may be. Certainly, it is outside my competence to comment on whether customers fall into the loyal or otherwise category. However from personal observation I have yet to come across a "disloyal" customer. One of the democratic features of this site is that it positively welcomes contributions from anyone, including long standing Seabourners or newcomers. As long as they comply with the guidelines.And nowhere does it say that everyone should agree all the time. Though generally it is apparent that "loyal"customers of Seabourn seem to be of one mind. Long may it stay that way. Now about these magicians/ illusionists - would you care to recommend any?

But I admire your gumption at sticking with these threads. (Not sure if gumption is widely used in the UK, however.) <g>

I am pleased to have this accolade.:)

Just for information since you ask, "gumption" is not widely used in the UK nowadays. However when I was a boy it was in common use in those cold dark days. I recall my dear mother using it with me as a form of encouragement . Furthermore, at that time there was a cleaning product called Gumption. This was highly abrasive and commonly used on "off colour" items to make them shine. It was very effective. Apposite.

Sorry, being a " Newbie" I am not familiar with him. Was he magical? Was he good? Is he available?

Hello, marainh, Erik de Gray was the cruise director on Legend and apparently other Seabourn ships, and decamped to Azmara. Very tall, blondined, and slightly campy in appearance, but with a totally relaxed personality that spread amiability wherever he was. Good singer, bit of a raconteur--had an endless supply of stories about his slightly eccentric grandfather--and occasionally entered the Grand Salon on roller skates.Never mind his talents, the thing he had--and presumably has--that made him so popular was the genuineness of his pleasant disposition. (In contrast to some older CD's who sometimes seem cranky.)

Didn't know you were from Yorkshire, where the women are beautiful and the men are tight-lipped and tight-pursed. (Is the latter the reference you were seeking?) I am a big fan of the mystery series set there with Superintendent Andy Daziel(sp?) and a wonderful cast of characters. The author has a wonderful ear for dialogue. Any road...

In addition to the David Blaine tv special, there is another indie production floating around which surveys all kinds of slight of hand artists, with the camera often in extreme close-up mode. You still can't "see" anything. Sorry, know neither the name of the production or the performers. Too much enmtertainment follows the dictum of 'do no harm." A musical Evening with Fill-in the Blank is apparently a mainstay of small ship entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, and it is always nice to have the option after dinner of "seeing a show."I tend to agree it would be nice to change that pace and have an act or two. But I also agree that a bad act is worse than no act, which leaves one squirming restlessly in your seat, or embarrassed for the performer, or gone.

Hello, marainh, Erik de Gray was the cruise director on Legend and apparently other Seabourn ships, and decamped to Azmara. Very tall, blondined, and slightly campy in appearance, but with a totally relaxed personality that spread amiability wherever he was. Good singer, bit of a raconteur--had an endless supply of stories about his slightly eccentric grandfather--and occasionally entered the Grand Salon on roller skates.Never mind his talents, the thing he had--and presumably has--that made him so popular was the genuineness of his pleasant disposition. (In contrast to some older CD's who sometimes seem cranky.)

Didn't know you were from Yorkshire, where the women are beautiful and the men are tight-lipped and tight-pursed. (Is the latter the reference you were seeking?)

Writer100, thank you for the information re Erik de Grey. He sounds magical if not a magician. It seems a pity Seabourn let him go. But who knows -life often comes full circle and maybe he could return. Unless there is a sub plot that I am missing.

And talking of plots, you may be interested to know there is a resurgence of interest in Sherlock Holmes here in the UK. This stems from a new SH series that starts on the TV this weekend. The previews look awful. But being the fair minded guy that I am, I will reserve judgement.

And being a fair minded Yorkshireman, I refute the suggestion that we are all tight pursed .The unfortunate fact of the matter is that all my trousers have long, deep pockets. I blame the tailor. But nevertheless I will buy you a drink should I ever have the good fortune to meet you in person, courtesy of Seabourn. Anything from the complementary shelf. And as to being tight lipped, I could not possibly comment.

Apart from your recommendation of Eric, are there any other atistes with magical talents that you would like to add to the list?

Didn't know you were from Yorkshire, where the women are beautiful and the men are tight-lipped and tight-pursed. (Is the latter the reference you were seeking?)

Writer100, thank you for the information re Erik de Grey. He sounds magical if not a magician. It seems a pity Seabourn let him go. But who knows -life often comes full circle and maybe he could return. Unless there is a sub plot that I am missing.

And talking of plots, you may be interested to know there is a resurgence of interest in Sherlock Holmes here in the UK. This stems from a new SH series that starts on the TV this weekend. The previews look awful. But being the fair minded guy that I am, I will reserve judgement.

And being a fair minded Yorkshireman, I refute the suggestion that we are all tight pursed .The unfortunate fact of the matter is that all my trousers have long, deep pockets. I blame the tailor. But nevertheless I will buy you a drink should I ever have the good fortune to meet you in person, courtesy of Seabourn. Anything from the complementary shelf. And as to being tight lipped, I could not possibly comment.

Apart from your recommendation of Eric, are there any other atistes with magical talents that you would like to add to the list?

Well, my wife, who is clearly magically tolerant. Of me. I don't think anyone could replace Basil Rathbone as Holmes. Had the profile, and the voice. Although Nigel Bruce was a very bumbling Watson, which doesn't quite fit the character as written.I accept your offer of a drink. Cheers!

Archived